Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:cry: Well, I just filled up my 2003 650 burg, it took 3.4 gallons of gas. I filled it before putting it into storage over the winter and took it out last week. I put 119.7 miles on the bike since then and like I mentioned. I just filled it this morning and put 3.4 gallons into it. This is about 30 MPG!!!! is there something wrong with my bike? plugs? air filter? engine tune up? I do use the automatic mode, drive like a sane person, revs dont go up above 4k, very very little highway travel. 99% of all my travel is to and from work, all back roads with speeds around 35mph. any clues?

·
Super Moderator
8,078 Posts
hmm, definatly sounds low. I would also do another tank and see what happens. Strange things can happen over winter. I thought mine was low @ 40 mpg for the 1st. tank. I am back to high 40's since then.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Now I know for a fact that I am not getting near what any of you say you are getting in gas mileage. Yesterday I used a little over 7 gallons of gas and only did 245 miles round trip, it was in auto mode all the time and my speed on an average was (GPS) 70 MPH with a few time went close to the 100 mark. I now wonder how most of you say you get high 40's per gal.

·
Super Moderator
8,078 Posts
I usually fill up @ 125 miles - 150 miles. It usually takes 2.5 - 3.2 gal. respectivally. 1st fill this spring 120 miles @ 3 Gal.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have checked my mileage on both tanks that I have used so far. I have got 42 on the first tank and 38 on the second. I now have over 1500 miles on it.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Try driving in manual, and drive in the highest (5th) gear all the time. never excede 55mph, and never accelerate faster than the slowest cars through intersections. Only travel the same direction as the wind is blowing. If that doesn't get you 50mpg nothing will.

Want to get the WORST possible mileage? Keep it in AUTO. Have the POWER mode ON. Give it full throttle at every go. Keep your average speed at 70 and run the bike up to 100 every now and then. Put on any aftermarket windscreen that's bigger than the stock one. Lastly, let the air out of your tires until there's only 15 lbs in each.

Most of all, ENJOY your rides. If you really wanted fuel economy you wouldn't have bought a 650 now would you!

Dave B.

·
Super Moderator
8,078 Posts
What weight oil do you riders with the lower mileage ?

I run synthetic 10-40 Mobil 1. I was in the mid 40's running standard fluids, there is a difference in the engine working less hard, a seemed to pick up 2 or so mpg.

Me and my wife riding on a trip, do at worst 43, thats running @ 80 on the expressway, 50 mpg 2 lane @ 66 indicated steady. I run 99% in AUTO Mode, using Power Mode when I need it. The RPM's are less at cruise in Auto Mode, than 5th in Manual Mode. I haven't used Manual Mode for about a year.

Full or heavy throttle on acceleration or high speed, will cost you at least 5 mpg.

·
Registered
250 Posts
That sounds worryingly thirsty, so much so that I've looked closely at my own scooter's consumption. Report below.

So far, all of my journeys have been one-up. I weigh about 230 lbs (naked :shock: ), am 6'7'' tall and have a tall Givi screen fitted to the 650, which is one month old.

The first 4 tankfuls from new all returned 57 mpg (Imperial). Using a conversion factor of 1 gallon (Imperial) = 1.2 gallons (US), this consumption equates to about 47.5 mpg (US), which I was very pleased with. I tried to keep the rpm below 4k throughout this period and was mostly successful :wink:

The next tankful, following the first service, enabled me to cover no less than 175 miles, and required a top-up of 14.6 litres of fuel. This equates to 54.54 mpg (imperial) or about 45.4 mpg (US). Again, I was satisfied with this.

At the moment, 'Arnie' is registering one flashing sector on the fuel gauge and has covered 136 miles, mostly on fast A-roads (50 - 70 mph) and M-ways (80+ mph), and some slow lane-splitting (15-30 mph) up in London. I can't remember what the single, flashing icon means but assuming that there's about 3 litres left I guess that I'm still getting over 50 mpg (Imp) or about 42 mpg (US).

For the size and performance of the scoot, I'm delighted with these figures, though I'm constantly reminded that my wife's Honda Jazz can better these figures while carrying 4 adults, a dog and a bootful of luggage :(

Hey ho - the Honda's not as much fun, though! :wink:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for the replys everybody. mine burg had the last bar flashing, and the gas pump flashing also as I was pulling into the station. if it holds 4 gallons (us) and I dropped 3.4 into it, I had better then a 1/2 gallon left. maybe another 15 or so miles. I completely filled it and now I will see what type of mileage I get. it has the stock shield on it now, as the givi broke :cry: and I will be getting another one. this is still much better milage though than my GMC 3500 pickup with dual rear wheels with a heart pounding 454ci / 7.4l engine. starting that takes 3 gallons of gas and gets around 10 mpg (yes, that is an accurate number). I do enjoy riding the burg and brave the 30 degree weather to be on it this time of year. Now I just need to get a factory manual so I can see when I should have what serviced.
thanks all and enjoy your rides.

·
Registered
240 Posts
quantumleap said:
mine burg had the last bar flashing, and the gas pump flashing also as I was pulling into the station. if it holds 4 gallons (us) and I dropped 3.4 into it, I had better then a 1/2 gallon left. maybe another 15 or so miles. I completely filled it and now I will see what type of mileage I get. it has the stock shield on it now, as the givi broke :cry:
With Givi & E52 topbox running 75-100mph: 45mpg
With stock windcreen only and running < 75mph: 50-52mpg

So I typically gas up every 160 miles; wish it were 225. I am distressed because my vulcan 750 gets only 45-47mpg rather than the 55 figure I heard before the purchase.

I weigh 150lbs (uh, 155) naked -- but i don't ride it that way.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
There are way to many variables involved in mpg to except the reading of one or two tanks. just keep a record for five fill ups throw out the high and the low reading, and you should have a good idea.

·
Registered
409 Posts
My turn. I just took the 650 out of storage. had about 60 miles on the tank before winter. rode about 105 miles before filling up. mileage was 47mpg. I rode secondary roadfs. I have an xl Clearview and E52. I am 185lbs and ride fully clothed.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I had to fill my 650 today with only 135 miles on the tank. The low fuel indicator started flashing before even 130 miles. I did run it in the garage a couple of times over the Winter, which would have consumed a little fuel. There also could have been a bit of evaporation I guess. I'm not at all worried about it. I am pretty sure I'll get the normal 150 miles out of this fresh tank before the low fuel indicator kicks in.

·
Registered
127 Posts
2nd tank since new, 47.52 mpg on secondary and residential streets.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
quantumleap said:
:cry: Well, I just filled up my 2003 650 burg, it took 3.4 gallons of gas. I filled it before putting it into storage over the winter and took it out last week. I put 119.7 miles on the bike since then and like I mentioned. I just filled it this morning and put 3.4 gallons into it. This is about 30 MPG!!!! is there something wrong with my bike?
With the small tanks on our Burgmans, little variables can have a big effect on the numbers we get in computing MPG readings.

To get a good mileage average you need to be really consistent in your practices: either on the centerstand EVERY TIME you fill it, or on the side stand EVERY TIME you fill it, but no mixing of the two; keep a record of the miles traveled to the 10th of a mile, and the gas added to the 10th of a gallon, and use several fill-ups' worth a data for an average.

For example, if you filled it last winter on the side stand and stopped at the first click of the pump you may have only got 3.5 gallons total in the tank. If this time you filled it on the cneter stand, and "goosed it" a few times after the click to round up to an even number of gallons you may have got a full 4 gallons in it. So what seemed like 119.7 miles on 3.4 gallons (35.2 MPG) may have actually been 119.7 miles on 2.9 gallons (41.27MPG). If you do mostly in-town riding, and not a lot on the highway, you may not be spending much time in the high "gear" range, so 41MPG would be about right. (Remember, highway riding generally uses less fuel than stop and go city riding.)

The above is just an example, of course, and your actual numbers will be different, but I wouldn't worry unless you get several more seemingly low readings.

A few members have reported low mileages on their scooters since I've been here, and in each case it later turned out that they either measured wrong or had a math error. One person I know was basing his math on miles ridden divided by 4 gallons (the tank capacity), rather than miles ridden divided by gallons added (read off the pump), for example.

After break-in, the 650s should get 45+ MPG unless the rider does a LOT of extreme riding. I get about 46 in my normal mix of mostly highway and some city riding, and when I did a 3,000+ mile highway trip last summer I got 48 - 51MPG on every leg with most of it at 75 - 80MPH indicated (67.5 - 72 actual).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts