Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my Burgman 650AN in spring of 2003. Drove it 13,000Km. Enjoyed every second I spent on the bike. Brought the bike in for it's third tune-up/inspection at 13,000Km. I had identified *IN WRITING* a strange noise and 'pulling' of the bike when stopped with engine running. Dealer said it was nothing, drive on. 100Km later the rear wheel seized. Had the bike towed to the dealer: 150$ towing charge. Bike will be repaired under warranty. I bitched about the 150$ towing charge - not MY fault: it will be paid by dealer. Bike has been in the shop for 2 months now.
Apparently a bad batch of bearings is causing Suzuki a lot of strife: there are other Burgmans with the same identical problem. Bearing fails, metal bits get into transmission and bust everything up. Damage is extensive. I saw THREE pages of parts ordered for replacement at the dealer's.

Love the bike, superb ride, very enjoyable, fast, zippy machine. Comfy for the passenger.

Anybody else have a similar problem with tranny?

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Hey Alberto sorry to hear about your problems. Any idea on when your bike was assembled? How many other cases of this happening have been reported? Please tell us as much as you can in regards to this problem. What were the very first symptoms you noticed before the actual failure?
You didn't mention where you live. You did say kms so I'm ruling out the USA. Europe, Australia, where abouts.........I'm worried now :(

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bike was bought in Montreal. Around 13,000 Km the bike started making an almost imperceptible whining sound coming from the bottom of the bike (hard to tell from where but it sounded like the final gear drive). At the same time the bike would try to move backwards when idling. It was a very small force that could be controlled with the feet, yet it was worrysome nonetheless - it is NOT supposed to move: sounded like the automatic clutch was becoming a problem.
The bike was due for the third tune-up/inspection. I put all the above in writing and gave it to the dealer. When I went to pick up the bike I was not satisfied with the mechanic's explanation of what he did not do (or could not do).
After the tune-up, the whining noise was slightly louder, yet still almost imperceptible. The bike still tugged backwards when idling.
Harsh words have been exchanged with the dealer especially since they wanted to charge me for the towing AND for storing the bike for me till the snow melted (THAT sent me into a fury). The bike has been at hte dealer's since mid October.
At this point in time I am torn between keeping the bike (I love it) and trading it in for a Honda ST. Being stuck on the road is no fun at all and I'm afraid I have lost trust in the mechanical soundness of the bike AND most importantly, in the dealer's ability to fix the machine. I have read other gripes by other Burgman riders and I believe it is a common problem: if the bike runs well, it runs great, but once it breaks nobody knows how to fix it, and being on the road far from home on this bike does not inspire me confidence.
The facts you requested: bike was bought in spring 2003 in Montreal. Suzuki rep said he has another bike in Quebec with the exact same problem happening at 13,000 Km. Suzuki traced the problem to a bad batch of bearings. That's tough. I am an engineer and I understand how things can fail even with the best of intentions. I am truly at a quandry whether I shall keep the bike or not. I think there are few (if any) mechanics qualified to work on this bike in NA at THIS time. It is too new for the NA market. But then again, I knew I took a chance when I bought the bike last spring. It didn't pan out and that's too bad. I have totally ENJOYED every Km I drove on this beautiful beast.
One last comment: if Suzuki wants to pierce the NA market, they should have made a better effort in my regards. I was (and am still trying to be) an enthusiastic Burgman rider. I know it's winter, but almost 3 months in the shop is a looooong time. And if it was summer, this would have BURNED big time.

I welcome your opinions.

Cordial regards,

Alberto in Montreal

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Any idea when your bike was manufacutered/assembled Alberto?I have a Canadian bike as well and am worried that my machine was built and shipped to Canada as the same time as yours. My machine was manufactured 01/03

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wouldn't worry about it. If your bike is one of the "lucky" ones, you will be receiving a recall. Fixing the problem AFTER the bearing explodes has GOT to cost Suzuki a whack of money in parts and labour. They really don't want that I'm sure.

·
Registered
793 Posts
When I was looking at both the 400 and 650 in spring '03, the sales guy said that the 650 tranny was more durable so I bought the 650.
It's a dream to ride but if you read my summer '03 post under Who Are You..., with the title First Service Shop of Horrors, I have a story to tell.

After my first 600mi. service, the whining started and I couldn't figure out why, when I was changing tranny 10-40 thence every 500miles, why was the oil draining in separate pencil-lead gray streams along with the oil that was also draining from the same hole.
And those box-pushers at suzuki said once:"What do you want me to do about it? I don't have a crystal ball."
So I just rode it.
Then, after 1500miles, when I would start it cold on the center stand, it would idle normally but, from the tranny there was a click...click....click... until I jumped on and warmed it up by riding.
At the 3,500mi. change the tranny oil was this silver-black and it was missing about 100ml from 1000 miles ago and there were no visible leaks!

About 3 weeks ago I traded the 650 for a 400 because I've worked on cute little plastic machines all my life and the 400 is so simple in comparison.
If honda had made a better product I would have jumped ship but the 400 has had excellent reports on this site.
Doing major repairs on a bike I wouldn't be able to use while making payments especially, would burn me too.

Alberto,
Thanks for the confirmation that I wasn't just hearing things.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The bike was returned to me last week, shiny and beautiful. It took 3 months to do. The dealer paid the initial towing charge (150$) and delivered the bike to my house. All looks fine for now. All I have to do is ride it and hope they fixed it correctly. I won't be able to tell until winter is over. It's still -20C here and tons of snow everywhere, so it will be a while yet.
I have no idea if the dealer did a good job, but I am feeling strangely confident. I plan to do a "4-corners" trip this summer if my chemo eases up a tad. I hope I don't have YET another horror story to tell, stranded in the middle of nowhere, but if that were to happen I would crucify the Burgman forever and get myself a Honda ST 1100.
Wish me good luck.

Alberto

·
Registered
793 Posts
You know, they charge to get into the 4-Corners tourismo overlook.

South of there, Shiprock looks interesting as it is in view for almost an hour, while riding out of Kayenta Arizona.

There's a City Market up in Cortez to stock up on real food first.

I hope you get away from chemo soon.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Since the transmission was fixed this winter, I drove the Burgman 1500Km. Everything works fine, plenty of pep, no whiny sound, all's good. Until last week: a puddle of oil formed under the bike, I removed the cover, all internal parts are soaked with oil.
I brought the bike back to the dealer. It is still under warranty and will be fixed no charge. This time it's the engine that has failed. They are waiting for parts and then will rebuild the engine.

This is the last straw.

The Burgman is a great bike but there are just too many parts falling off this bike.
1. Four days after purchase I lost the front brake caliper
2. The transmission fell apart (3 months in the shop)
3. The big bolt that holds the center stand fell off
4. The engine is being rebuilt

Enough is enough. I don't know what next.

(PS: still LOVE the bike, but **** ... it's a LOT now)

·
Super Moderator
18,084 Posts
I don't blame you! I would try for a new bike, very frustrating.
Almost sounds like some of that is from bad set up, or they started building it on a Fri. and finished on a Mon.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, just got the bike back. The problem was a bad crankcase gasket. It is unknown why or how it failed. The dealer gave no reason. I went to pick up the bike after 2 weeks in the shop. Drove it 400Km in the mountains, hairpin curves, really cranked it. Nothing else broke down. The warranty expires in one week.
Suzuki customer service has been very poor. I have expressed my discontent to them with NO avail. My last call was not returned. They are playing hard ball and they can because they have the money and the lawyers.
Love the Burgman. Great bike. But these people do not deserve my money and my respect.
Sorry Suzuki. You really let me down.

And for all you Burgman riders out there: keep your fingers crossed that your bike doesn't fail you. It's a very very expensive toy to fix and the warranty doesn't last very long. IMHO the warranty could at least be PAR with the European warranty.

Good luck to all of you. Enjoy but BEWARE (caveat emptor)!!

·
Registered
30,278 Posts
Alberto,

I would SERIOUSLY consider buying the Suzuki extended warranty ASAP. As I understand it, you can purchase it anytime as long as your Burgman is still under factory warranty. You should be able to pick up the 4 year for $399 - $499 (USA $). In my opinion, well worth it. Considering the problems you have had, it is essential if you plan on keeping the Burgman.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Fortunately these experiences have not been typical. It sounds like that machine was poorly set up at the dealership, and that the dealer was of little help in resolving the issues. It is always more effective if you have a dealer who is on your side interfacing with the manufacturer.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Alberto...sorry about your bad luck and bad service. I'm curious to what warranty Suzuki is giving on your repair work if any at all beyond the standard one year??...or are they going to give you any compensation in warranty time for the down time you had?
Do you have any plans to write a formal complaint to Suzuki?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Presently I am at a great disadvantage, I am going through chemotherapy due to a melanoma (skin cancer). I don't have the strength to fight these people for what I think is right.
I don't know what Suzuki will do about it besides respect the strict letter of the law. The Burgman broke down nad they fixed it. Period.
The dealer has not been "bad" per se: they have done their best to get my machine on the road.
It is unfortunate that my Burgman has had so many failures but this happens.
Unfortunately, the bottom line is that I have lost confidence in the product and I am reluctant to take off on a trip with it. This is unfortunate because I had planned to do a 'four-corners' adventure as soon as I am done with the chemo. NOT any more, sadly. Certainly NOT with THIS bike.

·
Super Moderator
18,084 Posts
**** I hate hearing that, Suzuki is shooting themselves in the foot.
Good luck in what ever you choose

·
Registered
196 Posts
Alberto
Maybe...just maybe the silver lining in this story is that your bike is fixed right this time. You now have a brand new engine again & parts, and it will work like it did for you the first 13000 km!

ps...I discovered I lost a center stand bolt too at the 1000km check up

with all your bad luck, I think the timing is right for you to buy a lottery ticket now

·
Registered
308 Posts
Wow Alberto I'm really sorry to hear (read) about these bouts of bad luck you are having with your bike.

I feel that your bike may qualify for "Lemon" and you thus have some recourse to get yourself a new one. Now I am not an expert in that topic, so I could be wrong - it's just a guess.

Either way, I hope everything works out for you. If you are planning on keeping the bike, you MUST get a Suzuki Extended warranty on that.

Good luck -- geez I hope this mechanical nightmare does not happen to a lot of people.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have had no trouble with my 04. Bought the extended warranty just in case. Longest trip Mobile to Key West and back. Flogged unmercifully. Rode with Gold Wings. RTiding in TX most of the time short trips. Very wearing these short trips in very hot weather in summer and pretty cold in the winter.
Did change the oils and used synthetic all around at 600 and 3000 miles. Total mileage approaching 6000. All service by Suzuki.
They are very inexperienced with this bike. Maybe this is part of the problem.

·
Registered
832 Posts
DAYUM,I hate hearing this.I am on my third cage this year because .........well folks my Mercedes was a piece of sh*t and Daimler Chrysler is a bigger piece of sh*t!Does anyone know the exclusions of the exstended warranty?Milage limits?Could someone post the written contract?When I get this lack of trust feeling about something I usually drop it like a dirty shirt.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts