Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked this up from the local junkyard for $5. It's from a Chrysler Pacifica. The black leather is a close match to the Burgie's seat, and is a near perfect fit for her holes with nice long shafts..(insert joke here).
Just need to bend it up and see about securing it.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure yet, I haven't really gotten that far. My buddy has a very complete garage. I'm thinking maybe a pipe bender, or possibly the vice, with an extremely big pry bar. I'm hoping to avoid heat if possible... I'll post the results.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Success! I'm convinced you could do this with less tools then I had. The bars were much softer than I was expecting them to be. Expecting that they would be hardened, I used a die grinder to cut grooves into them to aid bending. apparently I cut too deeply into one of the bars, and it snapped when I was bending it. I just threw the headrest in a vice, and used a 2 foot piece of pipe to bend them. they bent extremely easily, and I'm sure cutting the grooves was unnecessary. as a result of my snapping one of the bars, I had to weld it back on. I threw a little weld on the other bar to fill where it had been cut for good measure.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
after welding everything up and test fitting it, I marked locations for holes in the bars, and then drilled and tapped those holes. again, the metal is soft and it drilled and tapped easily. once slotted into place, the bolts and the nuts hold it in place nicely.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
979 Posts
glad you could do this on your own.!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Found me a Pacifica... My local yard had 5 of them, only one had the black interior... I bought both of em cheap enough, and am going to do the mod on Wed. Wish me luck!

Shawn

·
May have gone but will be missed
2,682 Posts
Found me a Pacifica... My local yard had 5 of them, only one had the black interior... I bought both of em cheap enough, and am going to do the mod on Wed. Wish me luck!

Shawn
What year Pacifica was that, or would any year model fit?

·
Registered
33 Posts
The Pacifica was only manufactured for a few years during the Daimler Chrysler merger. They are all identical. Actually, that's not entirely true. They are calling their new minivan thing the Pacifica but you won't find any of those in a junkyard yet.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Not sure I see a need for drilled & tapped bars & screws, What benefit do you get from that step?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Tried my luck at making a backrest today. I have a friend with a drill press so I went over to his garage. So these are my observations.

You want to drill the holes in the drill press first before bending the rods or it will not fit on the drill press due to the backrest part.

You will need a drill press to start the holes. A hand drill will slip off the hard metal.

I wish my friend had a smaller vise then 4 inches. Due to the backrest I could not start the bend about an inch lower so it sits up a little higher then the small of my back.

The bending can be done with a large pipe and I did not cut a slot in the metal.

Since the two arms are narrower the the original back rest there is some back and forth movement when your not resting your back on it. I'm thinking of buying some larger rubber hose diameter that fits on it to snug it up.

I purchased two Chrysler Pacifica headrests in case we completely muck up the first one! It was a learning experience.

Tapped the holes with a 4 mm thread and a nut to keep in in place.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts