Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a backrest online for my 400. I tried to remove the existing backrest which is held in place by 2 small screws. One screw came out easily but the second screw would not come out. I tried for 2 hours to removed the screw. I even made the plastic hole bigger with my dremmel.

The screw is stuck in the metal rod which holds the backrest in place. Any idea how to get it out? I'm thinking the dealer will need to drill the screw out. The head is not stripped but rather the screw just spins inside the metal rod. I tried everything for 2 hours!

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
You need to see if you can get a thin knife blade under the edge of the screwhead then pry up gently while you unscrew it.
The screw threads should engage the knife blade and rotate out or the knife will tip the screw enough to engage the metal at a different angle.
Either way IF you can get that thin blade under the head you should be good
Even the tip of the knife should do it.

·
Premium Member
14,516 Posts
It's the threads UNDER the head of the screw
that are stripped.
Sometimes wedging a screwdriver blade into
the tube & pushing on the tip of the screws works.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I have had this happen on a few times, not fun.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You need to see if you can get a thin knife blade under the edge of the screwhead then pry up gently while you unscrew it.
The screw threads should engage the knife blade and rotate out or the knife will tip the screw enough to engage the metal at a different angle.
Either way IF you can get that thin blade under the head you should be good
Even the tip of the knife should do it.

I used a dremmel to make the plastic opening larger. This allowed me to wedge a tiny screwdriver (I mean really tiny) against the screw. I was then able to remove it as you described. I was able to wedge the tip of this ultra tiny screwdriver between the screw and the seat rod; I then held pressure with one hand while unscrewing with the other.

The screw dropped into the scooter. Is this an issue? I'm not putting the screws back on. I just want to make sure the screw doesn't screw anything up.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did any of you buy replacement screws for the Burr 400? Those small screws really do stink and I was wondering if anyone purchased an alternative screw. I have one unblemished original seat screw so I can always try and match it at Home Depot.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Did any of you buy replacement screws for the Burr 400? Those small screws really do stink and I was wondering if anyone purchased an alternative screw. I have one unblemished original seat screw so I can always try and match it at Home Depot.
Why even bother to replace any of those tiny screws.?? Remember that the 2 screws just prevent the butt rest from being pulled forward to remove it.
After I removed them, I just threw them away and installed the 3 Brothers Back Rest... That was 4 years ago. No problems

·
Registered
341 Posts
The screws would be handy to have in certain parts of certain towns/cities. Keeps honest people honest.
Since you've already made the hole larger, I would tap it out next size up and get a larger screw.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why even bother to replace any of those tiny screws.?? Remember that the 2 screws just prevent the butt rest from being pulled forward to remove it.
After I removed them, I just threw them away and installed the 3 Brothers Back Rest... That was 4 years ago. No problems

I put my ONE remaining screw (I lost the other one) with my OEM gas cap which I replaced with the easy to remove STANT CAP. These items will be kept if and when I sell the Burg 400.

I like my Jac Vinson Backrest a great deal.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Agreed, I've had my 3 brothers backrest for years. No need to keep the little screws installed. Plus, on occasions when I have a passenger, I take the backrest off so there is some additional room. It slides right out without the screws.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts