Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remeber reading that someone had raised the driver's backrest to make it more useable. Can anyone give me any more info on this mod?

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Scroll down this page a bit:

http://www.io.com/~jungle/RV/

Personally, I think it looks goofy as heck, but if "form follows function" is what you're looking for, this is it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Backrest mod

I ordered the Utopia backrest a few days ago. Will be made and shipped Aug 8 (so they say).
I have used the Utopia on several different bikes I've had, and each one was grrrrrrrrrreat!.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Xray, I have the backrest extender that Jac Vinson makes. Here's the web site. http://www.rvtoys.net.

I've had mine on for about 200 miles now. There are a number of rider backrests on the market, however this is the only one I found that doesn't require any modification of the seat to install. I hated the thought of having to cut into my seat and bolt or screw things to it that I might later decide I didn't like. Then I have a cut up seat.

This one gives you about 8" of rise and in my humble opinion is extremely comfortable. Also gives me the lower back support I need.

Buzz

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Ditto, highly recommended IMHO. Jac's cust serv is top notch too!

It might look a little goofy, but it works so well I don't care!

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'm glad to hear all these rave reviews, cos' I just got mine in the mail today. Hoping to fit it in the next few days.
Thanks, Jac. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Tassie,

You'll be amazed at the simplicity of this mod. The most complex part of it is re-stapling the cover over the rear of the back rest. Even at that it took me all of a 1/2 hour to complete it.

Having a staple gun handy would be of great benefit to complete it quickly, & the key is having a screwdriver of the proper size for the phillips head screws under the seat. They can be a handfull to break loose, as many have stated on this forum. Mine were a piece of cake as they weren't as tight as is normally indicated.

If you go into this knowing those two things, it's absolutely no problem. Be aware also that a good bench vise would be nice to have in case you need to bend the riser to fit your comfort. This is not something you want to do while it's on the seat as you can break the plastic seat pan, ruining your seat otherwise.

I know all of these cautions sound scary, & Jac goes to significant trouble to point all of these out in his clear & concise directions that accompany his product, but knowing in advance makes it a breeze, I promise you.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Thanks to All

Just a quick note to say Thanks for all the kind comments. I know it's not possible to please everyone all the time, but the encouragement is muchly appreciated.
This board is the best Burgman resource on the net, that's why we contribute money to the board support for every sale that we know comes from here.
So, in a distinct way, you guys help me, to help Burgmanusa.com :lol:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Wyldman said:
Tassie,

You'll be amazed at the simplicity of this mod. The most complex part of it is re-stapling the cover over the rear of the back rest.
Yep, it was easy. A few things, though. I haven't bothered to put the vinyl back on the backrest yet so I don't know if it's going to be fiddly. I have a staple gun so should be OK. What I found the biggest pain (not that it was a huge hassle) was tying the shock-cord that holds the lower pad on. To get it tight enough to look OK and stay on it has to be quite tight.
Once on the road the thing flexes quite a bit. Some of this is from spring in the brace itself, but some is from flex in the seat base. I hope this doesn't create problems for the base long term. The raised backrest certainly makes me want to sit up straighter, which I'm sure will be good on a trip. It does, however, also make me a bit lazy and I don't lean as much in corners as I'm used to. Made me run a bit wide a couple of times this morning. Hopefully I'll get used to it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts