Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering how much weight the backrest on the 400 supports. I don't think that it would need to hold that much since the passenger wouldn't really be leaning back and stretching their legs.

The reason why I'm asking is because I'm looking at the 400 Type-S and instead of a backrest, it looks like it comes with the rear spoiler shown on this Japanese accessories page:

With the rear spoiler, you can't install the backrest, but you can get a rear carrier that fits on the spoilier:

That carrier has a raised bar and I wonder if that could function as a "backrest" (albeit uncomfortable) just enough so the passenger can wiggle a bit and not feel like they'll fall off the back. Or would it be too dangerous to use it like that?

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I think most passengers want the backrest because it eases their fear of sliding off of the machine when you accelerate. At least that is what my passengers have told me. The rack you showed would probably suffice for easing that concern. Some passengers do want the comfort of leaning against a backrest though - the rack would not satisfy them. So it depends. Some would be happy with it - some would not.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
My self I like the "S" a lot.
The the rack you show could have a pad made and attached real easy
-if the rack is strong enough-

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Randy said:
The the rack you show could have a pad made and attached real easy
-if the rack is strong enough-
The carrying capacity of the rack is 5 kg (about 13 lbs). Depending on how it's mounted on the spoiler, I wouldn't want to put too much sideways pressure on it. How is the standard backrest mounted?

·
Registered
848 Posts
Stargazer, have you seen the 'S' model up close and personal? I would love to take a look if there is one around the Vancouver area. I only have tomorrow morning (Sat April 30th) to look though, then I'm off to Alberta.

April 30th tomorrow!!! :shock: Crap!!!! I've got to do my taxes!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Too bad my Burg isn't ready Dave, you could ride it as far as Alberta for me. :twisted:

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rubble said:
Stargazer, have you seen the 'S' model up close and personal? I would love to take a look if there is one around the Vancouver area. I only have tomorrow morning (Sat April 30th) to look though, then I'm off to Alberta.

April 30th tomorrow!!! :shock: Crap!!!! I've got to do my taxes!!!!!!!
No, I haven't. I was at CR Cycle in Maple Ridge last week and they had one in a crate on a truck. The guy showed me the box but wasn't willing to open it on the spot for me ;). Maybe I'll stop by today after work....

Tomorrow is demo day at Orca Bay in PoCo, so I'm hoping to see it there, too.

BTW, for anyone who didn't hear, because Apr. 30 is on a Sat, our taxes don't have to be filed until Monday, May 2!

·
Registered
848 Posts
I'll be at Orca Bay tomorrow morning myself. I'd like to test both the 400 and 650. Black Jacket and Flashy Red HJC Helmet, if you see me say hi!

·
Registered
689 Posts
Like that rear spoiler with extra brake light, sure wish I could mount that on my 650.

·
Registered
250 Posts
The backrest on the 400 is molded into the body, and is very strong, as far as backrests go. I like the psychological security of knowing I'm not going to accidentally dump my wife off the back, but whether your passenger will actually use it at all or not depends on their size. My wife is a small person, and when she sits far enough forward to not affect wind resistance too much and hang on to me, she's several inches away from the back pad. She says she's comfortable that way. She does scoot back and use it some on long trips, but as soon as the wind blows, she moves forward again. The extra space is nice when she wears a back pack, since it drops down right between her and the pad and fills the gap. Makes a back rest AND extra storage. When I get on the passenger spot, I fit all the way from the pad to the driver butt stop, but since my wife doesn't have her MC license, I've never actually ridden back there. I looked at the type S and the type SS, and frankly, I like the standard better, so that's what I bought. I think the black wheels detract from the flashy look of my silver bike. 8)

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rubble said:
I'll be at Orca Bay tomorrow morning myself. I'd like to test both the 400 and 650. Black Jacket and Flashy Red HJC Helmet, if you see me say hi!
I was there around 11 am at first and checked out the 400 and 650 they had outside. They had 400S in the crate and said I could look at it next week.

I didn't get a chance to visit CR Cycle on Friday but I went yesterday and they hadn't unloaded the the S either.

So I went back to Orca Bay the afternoon and put a deposit down on the 400S without even looking at it :shock:. Oh, well, they're going to deliver it to me this week :D.

BTW, when I went back the second time, the 650 was gone. Did you get a chance to go for a ride?

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I checked on the Japanese accessories page again and looks like they updated it with something new:

Yaaa! A backrest for "S" owners!

My mother-in-law will be visiting Japan in the fall--hopefully she'll be able to pick up some goodies for me :D.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
That backrest looks cool. Sort of like the hump behind the single seat of some sport bikes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts