Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I saw several of them being installed on 650's and 400's at Scootercade. Jac Vinson was there selling & installing them. I sat on Doug's 650 with the backrest installed & it felt pretty comfortable. Sometimes some minor tweaking in the angle of the backrest bracket is needed, other than that I know of no issues with it. The advantage of this setup is that you can still use the stock fore & aft adjustment lever, which you lose with the Utopia product. It is also easy to revert to the stock setup if you wish.

·
Registered
368 Posts
from the pictures it seems to look rather crappy in my opinion. Does it look better in person?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
pauljo said:
I saw several of them being installed on 650's and 400's at Scootercade. Jac Vinson was there selling & installing them. I sat on Doug's 650 with the backrest installed & it felt pretty comfortable. Sometimes some minor tweaking in the angle of the backrest bracket is needed, other than that I know of no issues with it. The advantage of this setup is that you can still use the stock fore & aft adjustment lever, which you lose with the Utopia product. It is also easy to revert to the stock setup if you wish.
Does it replace the stock butt rest?

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Bob,

No. You remove the stock buttrest from the rails and it goes in between them. It's an extender that moves the buttpad up away from the seat and places it in you lower back.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Is it just me or do those back rests on the Burgmans look an awfull lot like a headrest from a Mercedes? :idea: I only ask cuz it's got me thinking about how we once took an old headrest we had laying around and made a two pin mount on the underside of the tail section of my crotch rocket. Like the mount holes for a headrest on a car seat. I only had 2 small holes on top of the tail section and could plug and unplug my backrest from my bike in seconds. I needed it once to be able to strap a bag full of clothes on the back of the RF for a little across the nation jaunt. :lol: Actually,I strapped one bag in front of it and one behind it. Worked good as a butt stop.
Guess I'll be scouring the local wrecking yards for a pair of nice headrest I can add to my new Burgy!
I would think a 2 hole mount added on the back side of the adjustable stock butt pad would be rather simple. And an underside mount behind the passenger should be a no brainer. I know a headrest will take a lot abuse before it bends.

Heck, I've got a pair of back seat Rodeo headrests out in the garage that would look cool. 8)

Just thought I'd plant a seed for those financially challenged individuals!!!

Curtis J

·
Registered
105 Posts
Curtis J said:
...Guess I'll be scouring the local wrecking yards for a pair of nice headrest I can add to my new Burgy!ndividuals!!! ...
You can call it a Butt-Head-Rest. :)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ordered the Back rest bracket and pad from Jac Vinson.
http://www.rvtoys.net/

If anyone is interested I'll let you know what I think of it.

So far I can say it's a pleasure dealing with Jac.

·
Registered
367 Posts
BobG said:
So far I can say it's a pleasure dealing with Jac.
I have to agree, his website is a little screwed up, yesterday, and wouldn't let me order anything other than the extension. I sent Jac and email saying that I was having problems, couple of emails later I was ordered and he was happy that someone told him about the error on the web page.
His responses were quick and very good!

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I got to chat with Jac a bit at Scootercade. He's a nice guy, and pretty responsive to customer suggestions. My understanding is that the web page is called "rvtoys" because a prior focus was making gadgets for RVs.

Out of date web pages are unfortunately pretty common in the scooter and motorcycle accessories field. Jac's actually isn't too bad compared to some. Clearview has never updated theirs to include the Burgman windscreens, even though they are selling very well. D.J. Ellis makes a really nice hump bag - but his website has been "under construction" forever, and he has never added the Burgman bags. My dealer (Power Sports Pro) has a huge website that is so user unfriendly I don't even bother with it. I could go on - there are more...

But most of these folks are very responsive to email and/or phone calls. It is often the best way to get taken care of.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Kids

I have had the backrest and pad from jac for 2 months or so.

When I first got it I wasn't pleased, but with a bit of tweeking its great

now. What I did was put it in a vise and bent it back a scoosh and

bent the bracket that holds the butt pad a bit to set in your back good.

One other thing was to ad a notch to the slide railes to get it back as

far as possible. To top it all off I have a sheep skin for my back side!

For under $100 bucks the back rest and pad are well worth it. :wink:

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I received the Backrest and Pad from Jac. So far I have been unable to install it. I was able to remove only one of the screws from the buttrest. The other screw has resisted both an electric screw driver and a drill. The **** screw won't budge. I'm about ready to return it. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get the **** screw out?

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Bob, get a good quality drill bit and drill it out. You will never need to put the screws back in anyway. The slots hold the backrest where you put it.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
BobG said:
I received the Backrest and Pad from Jac. So far I have been unable to install it. I was able to remove only one of the screws from the buttrest. The other screw has resisted both an electric screw driver and a drill. The **** screw won't budge. I'm about ready to return it. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get the **** screw out?
If the screw head is not damaged then an impact driver may shift it. If you do not have an impact driver, try a well fitting screwdriver (stubby) and give it a couple of belts with a hammer. You will need assistance I guess cos this is a three and a half hands job.

Lots of people have trouble with that screw - it must have been a faulty air wrench on that side of the assembly line.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ted clement said:
Bob, get a good quality drill bit and drill it out. You will never need to put the screws back in anyway. The slots hold the backrest where you put it.
What should I look for in a "good quality drill bit"?

Is it possible to buy just one drill bit rather than an entire set?

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Go to Home Depot or local hardware store; you can buy just one, any American made one will suffice, probably a couple bucks or so. May have to get a pack with 2 in it. I would guess a 1/8 inch will do the job. Chances are that the screw head will break off as you commence drilling and that will be all you need. If the head doesn't come off, then try a slightly larger bit. I wouldn't try to drill into the threaded part. As I mentioned before, you won't need to put the screws back in anyway.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ted clement said:
Go to Home Depot or local hardware store; you can buy just one, any American made one will suffice, probably a couple bucks or so. May have to get a pack with 2 in it. I would guess a 1/8 inch will do the job. Chances are that the screw head will break off as you commence drilling and that will be all you need. If the head doesn't come off, then try a slightly larger bit. I wouldn't try to drill into the threaded part. As I mentioned before, you won't need to put the screws back in anyway.
Ted,

Sorry to be so dense.

The drill that was used was a black and decker cordless (my neighbors). Would that be different than the American made one you refer to?

1 - 20 of 69 Posts