Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so... my attempt at adjusting valves was a complete disaster.. in my pursuit of having the markings line up perfectly as the book says... i forgot to make sure it was TDC to the intake stroke (duh).. i set the valves at the exhaust stroke.. i was 180 degrees off... boy, do i feel like an idiot

so... after having the bike apart and put back together (somewhat), i said "screw it" and took it to the dealership to have them do it properly.. i tried and failed and didn't want a catastrophic failure, so i figured i would be safe than sorry..

now comes my issue..

i have been having a stalling issue which has been dogging me all year long.. i explained this to the dealer and he recommended we set the valves and see if they find anything along the way... the only thing they found was it needed a couple o-ring seals replaced and a new valve cover gasket.. i picked up the bike and he said it was all good to go.... i picked it up wednesday night..

well.. i drove it last night and noticed on the downward idle (as the bike was slowing down and i was off the throttle) it would backfire, i noticed this would happen several times... and then it started with my stalling problem AGAIN!?!?!

this time my stalling problem is different.. it used to just die out while waiting for a stop light or while coming to a stop... now, it idles fine, but when i go to take off, it spits and sputters and eventually dies.. kinda like its getting too much fuel... ironically enough.. it idles fine, but now stalls when i try to apply the throttle... this combined with backfires i never had...

please... anyone have any ideas... the best i know about gas engines is a backfire is usually a timing issue.. how do you set timing on a burgman.. or could it be the crank sensor or even the throttle position sensor... but i have no check engine lights on the dash...

i truly give up.. i'm starting to fall out of love with this thing real quickly..

please help!!!

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Have you ever flushed out the gas tank?
Could be a fuel contamination issue maybe?
Inline fuel filters are cheap and can work wonders.
Old scoots and old gas don't mix well.
Just a thought....

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
i had similar problem. check the air intake sensor thats conected to the air box. then check the idle speed. that was the fix for me. also, is the air cleaner clean, or dirty?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well... it appears my trouble was a bad coil... yep.. a bad coil that only gave me problems once it got warm and started stalling. Since the gas was getting through the combustion chamber with a low, or no, spark, it would detonate post throttle, giving me the backfires.

This has been a long going issue and i have had two dealerships investigate my stalling problem and no one ever checked for weak or poor spark. I finally did (at the suggestion of an ASE certified master auto technician) and found my coil was not operating properly.

My friend mention these types of issues are extremely difficult to diagnose because it's not until the coil gets warm/hot before it is weakened by the heat and failure starts.

So, if you start having major stalling issues, followed by backfire issues, please investigate your coil.. it may save you LOTS of time with diagnostics.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts