Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

Back pain and the 650

4K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Robert 
The comfort of the riding position is going to be determined by your body type/size, your individual back pain, and your riding (sitting) style. I'm 6'3" and 230lbs - so your results may vary...
My last bike was a Suzuki Bandit 1200 with slightly taller bars, and I was more comfortable on it for short rides - except it didn't have the room to shift my weight that the Burgmans do (I own a 650 and my fiancee owns a 400). On the Bandit I had some of my weight on my feet, some on my arms (depending on how I sat), and the rest on my seat. With the 400 Burgman my knees (I have bad knees) would bother me quickly (15 minutes) if I tried to have them down like on a motorcycle - on the 650 it would take about 30 minutes to start bothering me (slightly higher seat?).
As long as I ride with my feet against the incline in the front then my knees are fine. It also stops me from sliding forward on the seat. It took me a while to "develop" my riding position - but I now get more of my weight onto my feet - so I'm more comfortable than I was on the Bandit. I just had to learn how my body wanted me to sit...
The best thing to do is to sit on a bike and see how much wiggle room you have as far as comfortable seating positions, and then find someone willing to let you log about 15 minutes so that you can see if that seating position is also a comfortable riding position. :)

Well if you're going to be in the Austin area with your bike then give me a holler. We can swap and go for a ride. Actually riding it for a while is the only way to be sure, and "around the block" isn't far enough. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.