Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well I tried doing a search but was not very successful at finding what I was looking for so I started this topic.

I currently ride an 03 Volusia. Getting an 05 650 this spring.
I have problems with my back and today while riding my VOL, it had me in tears. The vibration and the bumps on the road were harsh.
I got off the bike and just didn't want to get back on, but had to cause it was the only way to get home.

I know someone here (sorry can't remember who) had a VOL and went to a Burg. How do the bikes compare comfort wise? What was the biggest difference you notice when you went from one bike to the other?

Those who have back pain or back problems, how does that affect your riding if at all? Is the Burg easier on the body than a cruiser?

If I would have had a scoot today I would have had to throw my leg over the bike, i could have just stepped through. **sigh...is it march yet**

thanks for your time!
Nancy

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Nancy,

Sorry to read about your back pain. My last cruiser was a Honda 1100cc Shadow. From what I recall of that bike, the 650 Burgman is a more comfortable ride overall. With a feet forward cruiser, all of your weight is on your spine - and when you hit a bump big enough to make the rear suspension bottom out, it can hurt. With the Burgman, you can move your feet around a lot, which helps. You can have them forward, or straight down, so you can support yourself with your legs a bit when you see a bump coming. You do not deal with much vibration on an AN650 - it is extremely smooth.

There are other non-cruiser motorcycles that do ride better than a Burgman 650, but you do of course have to swing your leg over to mount them, and they can sometimes be a handful to manage at slow speed due to higher center of gravity. Those things can also be issues with a bum back. I've also found that when I switched to Pirelli tires on my Burgman 650, it softened the ride over bumps quite a bit.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I may well be wrong, but in my brief ride on a 650, it seemed my 400 gives a softer ride. I do run my shocks and tires at minimun factory spec and my 400 is softer than my buddies. Cannot see any degradation of handling either.....but at our ages we don't try to set any speed records in corners. Ha.

Point being, Nancy, you might consider trying a lighter...cheaper...maybe used 400 to see how it works for you.

·
Super Moderator
8,077 Posts
Part of the reason for me getting the 650 was my back. After a 25 year absence from morotcycles, and blowing out my lower back. I decided to get a 400 and ride before my body said no more. Not having to swing my leg over was a real plus. We thought shorter trips and ocassional use was all we would be able to do. After 3,000 miles we traded for the 650 mainly for the better ride. I found the vibration (very little) on the 400, but mainly the bumps bothered my back the most. The 650 was an improvement with the large tires, 2 cylinders and weightbut more needed to be done.
Many forum members have modified their seats to their required personel specifications.
For the vibration problems I tried a gel pad, others have used air pads. I also added softer foam to the front of the seat to take some load off my tail bone and ride more on my upper thigh. Esseintually, making a pocket for your butt. Details on this and other modifications I've done are http://burgmanusa.com/gallery/album20
Corbin has a very nice custom seat which sits back farther if leg room is an issue. Look up "seat mod" under search, and you will find 605 topics. Many different options. I have seen all types of bikes with differing seat mods.

Tires, as pauljo said, also make a difference. I currently have a Pirelli on the rear only (the front stock is still OK). They do ride better than the stock.

I have also looked into a different shock set up, but the mods i've made work OK for me and my wife so we will probaby stay with the stock set up.
Look up "shocks" under search,and many more options there.

All in all, on a scale of 1-10 for ride comfort, I put the 650 @ 8, using a Gold Wing as a 10 and a sportbike as a 6.

I still think the seat is the most important consideration, because ride comfort is a relative thing, RE soft or firm.

The step through frame is also a big plus.

·
Registered
520 Posts
As someone who has owned a Volusia (Pappy on the Vol Board), AND about 100+ other bikes, I sold my 1500LC because I had 4 back surgeries just this year. Bought the 650 Burgman. It is FAR WORSE on my back than either of my last cruisers. A bad back is such an individual thing......
The ONE thing the scooter does offer (as mentioned) is the infinite floorboards and foot placement. But the JOLTS from a terrible suspension can take me apart. Smaller scooters or the Honda 600 may provide you with softer rides for the back? Mike

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies.
I know when I am just being a passenger on the VOL, my back doesn't hurt. Well, it does but because of where the small backrest hits.
Now I ride all the time as a passenger on hubby's Kawasaki Voyager but I could ride all day with no trouble on that bike.

I wonder if it could just be the vibrations that start it all. I don't know. My old 95 VS800 didn't hurt my back as much as the VOL does. The VS800 just gave me sore buns.

I would get a 400 to save money but I know I would not be happy with a 400. I know there are pro's and con's to both. The one thing I do like about the 400 is the linked brakes. But I'm use to the size and weight of the VOL so I don't think the 650 would be a problem.

UGH!!! I need to test ride both before I buy guess.
I'm so ready for one.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Pappy wrote

Possibly someone on this group lives in your area and will let you ride their Burgman for a bit to test? Best of luck! Mike

Pinwheel,
Your welcome to try my 400 if you ever find your self down my way,
I am only about 465 miles from Cut N Shoot. :)

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Randy said:
Pinwheel,
Your welcome to try my 400 if you ever find your self down my way,
I am only about 465 miles from Cut N Shoot. :)
What town do you live in? We are always out and about on weekends. Would mind going for an extended ride to your place.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Dear Nancy:

It's not a fancy solution, but a simple lumbar support belt, the kind construction and warehouse workers wear, has improved my comfort substantially while riding my Burg400. I bought my belt at my local hardware store for $16.

I own one of Jac Vinson's great little backrests (http://www.rvtoys.net) and it helped, but not enough. The lumbar belt did the trick.

Good riding,
Chris

P.S. DO try to test-ride both the 400 and 650 if you can.

·
Registered
611 Posts
The comfort of the riding position is going to be determined by your body type/size, your individual back pain, and your riding (sitting) style. I'm 6'3" and 230lbs - so your results may vary...
My last bike was a Suzuki Bandit 1200 with slightly taller bars, and I was more comfortable on it for short rides - except it didn't have the room to shift my weight that the Burgmans do (I own a 650 and my fiancee owns a 400). On the Bandit I had some of my weight on my feet, some on my arms (depending on how I sat), and the rest on my seat. With the 400 Burgman my knees (I have bad knees) would bother me quickly (15 minutes) if I tried to have them down like on a motorcycle - on the 650 it would take about 30 minutes to start bothering me (slightly higher seat?).
As long as I ride with my feet against the incline in the front then my knees are fine. It also stops me from sliding forward on the seat. It took me a while to "develop" my riding position - but I now get more of my weight onto my feet - so I'm more comfortable than I was on the Bandit. I just had to learn how my body wanted me to sit...
The best thing to do is to sit on a bike and see how much wiggle room you have as far as comfortable seating positions, and then find someone willing to let you log about 15 minutes so that you can see if that seating position is also a comfortable riding position. :)

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for all the replies ya'll. It is greatly appreciated.
I do believe that it is the postion that I have to sit in on the Volusia. As a passenger on it and on hubby Voyager, my legs are down and not up forward. I've tried my riding with my feet on the pegs on the engine guards however that was NOT comfortable.
I have sat on a 400. the position was comfortable. Have yet to be able to sit on a 650. If the 650 does give more leg room then I will have to get that one. I just don't want to get something too small and then have to sell or trade in later.

Is it March yet??

·
Registered
611 Posts
Well if you're going to be in the Austin area with your bike then give me a holler. We can swap and go for a ride. Actually riding it for a while is the only way to be sure, and "around the block" isn't far enough. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts