Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there!
i live about 1.5 hrs from port dover, i go there most fri 13 days. as usual i rode my burger there and boy was it hot!
i have seen many bike gathering at dover but this was just mind boggling. brobably 200,000 people or more in a small town. bikes of every kind lined up 6 rows deep on every street in town, the burger 650 exe fits in as always. parking was always a bit crowded but this year was impossable. i have put a little clip below that i sent to our southern crusers group when i got home.
ironside

WOW WHAT A TRIP! our group left at 9am. then half of us were stopped for ID then we moved on, i think it was glen counted 41 bikes ahead of us and then some even came up behind us. when we arrived there was not a parking spot to be found, so we all wound up paying 5.00 each to park away around back on the school grounds. it was also pretty full.

it was awful hot so i left after about 45 min of walking around. getting out of town i met a row of bikes over one klm long. also on the waterford side road before dover there was another klm or more waiting where the police had the 4 way stop!

once around the corner it was clear sailing for me but there were groups of 3 to 15 bikes steady from there to paris heading to dover!

i started thinking im glad i left when i did!

thanks again to all great club leaders that got us there safley, and as always a fun group

ironside

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
WHY dont you tell us where your location is......??? since you said KMs - I assume yer not in the USA......

·
Registered
404 Posts
Port Dover, Ontario, Canada. Largest one day event in North America. Wall to wall people and bikes. I arrived at 9.30 am and was leaving by 11.00 am, too hot and too crowded. I live about 45 minutes from this lake town and regularly ride through on rides. This is a annual event for every Friday the 13th. 3 this year. Google PD13 and you will get pics of this year and previous ones.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hi again!
sorry about the location! it is in ontario canada not too far from niagara falls! i guess i assumed most bikers were aware of the dover meet. my mistake! they estimated over 200'000 bikers yesterday. several of our US friends were there, arizona and texas plates were a fairly common site. the weather and time of year made this our biggest meet yet! perhaps you may want to join us? it's any fri/13 winter and summer. many venders are on site and a great swimming area as well!

i would be willing to up up a few burgey riders for a day or two if you wanted to take a trip up and join us for fri.13 adventure.
thanks ironside (love my burger)

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
v8eyedoc said:
WHY dont you tell us where your location is......??? since you said KMs - I assume yer not in the USA......
It is easy to add your location to your profile. For instance, I'll never have to keep asking v8eyedoc where he's from...which is Plainville, Massachusetts...because he put it in his profile. ;)

Chris

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
My neck of the woods -

from a few friends

to

The tradition started back in 1981 when ‘Biker’s Delight’ shop owner Chris Simons and a few friends got together at the Commercial Hotel in Port Dover for a few beers, which incidentally fell on a Friday the 13th. As the story goes, they all had such a good time that they agreed to do it again the next time a Friday the 13th came around. And so a ritual was born. Word traveled year after year, continuing to attract new riders and returning veterans until attendance went from dozens to thousands.

28 years later the tradition is still growing, as riders of all shapes and sizes on bikes of all kinds take over the small town each and every time the 13th day of a month lands on a Friday. Last year, the lone Friday the 13th of 2008 fell in June under sunny skies and warm weather, which drew a record number of attendees. 2009 will separate the die-hards from the fair-weather riders as the event falls in February, March and November. How many people will brave the cold wind and icy conditions to take part in the festivities? We’ll soon find out. Will YOU be there?

Likely to be huge this year with the weather good this weekend.

too crowded for this rider but the Lake Erie perch is good in Dover tho expensive now - nice small town lovely beach and a fav ride destination for me.

They even have their own website now

http://www.pd13.com/

and your own cool Tshirt

big time turn out

An estimated 100,000 bikers rolled into the town by mid-morning Friday and more continued to pull in Friday afternoon. The massive turnout is likely due in part to the amazing weather forecast and the fact that this is the last Friday the 13th of the year.
100,000 + bikes in a town of 6,000 :shock:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hi again!
thanks for the last posting, it sure will let the ones who are looking for a crazy experience to think [email protected]
also i have chanded my profile from now on.
thanks ironside

·
Registered
3,142 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hi again!
i do the forks a fair bit. the best run in the area but should be longer! i like to go to the cheltam badlands as well.
will sighn in to the gta site, but havnt been there before. i ride a lot with the southern crusers form the kitchener and sometime the cambride chapter. we should get together sometime.
thanks ironside

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hi Ironside-

I'm just up the road from you in the booming metropolis of Drumbo! Also member of SCRC270 but haven't made it out to an event this year due to health problems. On the mend now, so maybe I'll cross paths with you sometime soon.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Coupe said:
Hi Ironside-

I'm just up the road from you in the booming metropolis of Drumbo! Also member of SCRC270 but haven't made it out to an event this year due to health problems. On the mend now, so maybe I'll cross paths with you sometime soon.

hi coupe!
about 10 min would do it! if your free mon give me a time and ill meet you at the restaraunt for a coffee! im retired so most any time would work for me!
thanks jim

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Sure have an eye out for a white exec - I'm at the Forks coffee shop 3-4 times a week usually from 3.30 to 7 or so - work from there and do local rides.

Next time you go to the Forks

go right at the end down to The Grange - the first left - lovely ride and then you can cut north up several roads to Charleston Side Road or up to 9

Then Mono and you can do Hockley Valley and there are lots of good cruise roads north of there - Beaver Valley, Airport Road and a couple of semin-secret side roads off that :D

See ya some time - there are a few Burgman riders in the area. Went up to Rock the Red Honda event today and saw my old 2005 650 - still going strong.
Tried the NC700.....Burgman still safe big time - much much better machine than the Honda.

Coup this goes for you as well - happy to hook up for casual rides....have a Scala G4 as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts