Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Burgman folks, I went through a period of nervousness about riding a two wheeler, thought about it a lot, and fortunately my Burgman 400 did not sell. Living behind the "Redwood Curtain" on California's Northcoast proved to be an asset... No one wanted to come down here to look at my near new 2003 Burgman 400.

I am thinking of purchasing a headlight modulator and rear lights Flasher. Any info or comments would be welcome regarding products to buy and installation instructions.

Also, I'm coming up on my 600 mile service. Any comments regarding doing it myself versus taking it to a dealer. Around here they would charge a bit over $300. Are there any links that would give me some suggestions here?

Have a great day. Bob Dorsett

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Glad to hear you're keeping your ride Bob.

Bob you can find all you need to know about oil changes, maintenance etc, on allwalks photo assist area for 650s
http://burgmanusa.com/gallery/album24

Norms for 400s
http://burgmanusa.com/gallery/NormanB

And for the modulators try http://www.comagination.com/default.htm
(My favorite), and http://www.kisantech.com/kisanWeb3/frameSample.htm
quite a difference in price. both good systems

As for the nervousness, take a good motorcycle safety course and read the book , "Ride Hard, Ride Fast" by Pat Hahn. A lot of good safety tips and advice in there. http://www.motorbooks.com ( I bought mine at Chapters book store)

Lots of help available here.

Just ask :wink:

·
Registered
296 Posts
Bob,

I am also have a 2005 AN 400 with about 3000 miles. I took it into the dealer for service at the 600 mile point, as I wanted to make sure everything was checked and tightened after the initial "break in" period. There was also a valve adjustment component that I didn't want to try and do myself. Mine only cost $125, however, at the Suzuki dealer in Mesa, AZ.

After looking at the maintenance schedule I believe I will do my own oil change at 4000 and then take it back to the dealer for the 7500 mile check, as there is more mechanical work to be done at that point. I also plan to switch to full synthetic oil at that point. Then I will do the next service myself and continue to alternate this way in the future. That way I can keep my costs down and still get the professionals to look at it and do a complete service every 7500 miles.

Changing the oil and cleaning the air filter looks pretty simple and not much more difficult than it was on my Honda Helix. I am also floating this concept on the site to see if any of the more experienced riders would agree with my logic here. javascript:emoticon(':?:') I am sure that there are those on the site who have the mechanical skill and tools to do all the service, but unfortionately I am not so blessed.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Bob,
a lot depends on how much wrenching you do, but it's not that hard. Would recommend you get a service manual. I would ask your dealer for a break down on the price, really the only item of any concern is checking the the valve.
An oil change and filter is a 15 min. job anyone can do. Also it may help if you ask the dealer how much is it to just check the valve -in case it does not need adjustment. .I know that sounds crazy since it's almost the same amount of work , but so far two dealers gave me much better prices by breaking it down.

For what it's worth I agree with lilleyen
"As for the nervousness, take a good motorcycle safety course"
It's worth more then all the lights it would buy because time and experience will help you be a lot safer and the course will get rid of any bad habits you may have picked up.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
I bought my service manual today for the 2005 650.
Just over $84.00 Canadian, with my 15% discount and taxes in $82.82

Will be in next week.

A good investment I think, will pay for itself many times over.

·
Super Moderator
8,076 Posts
Hey Bob, Welcome Back,

I do most of my maintaince, but. When I had my 400, I had the dealer do the 600 miler.

They check the tappits, critical bolts, and change the fluids. I know there was an error, RE Trans. weight of oil, in the owners manual. A good dealer should be up to speed on all those quirks. I would study the bike before it goes in and take a mental picture of what needs to be done. When you get it back see if everything was done. When I got mine back, it had a very loud sound comming from the hump. It turned out, the mechanic forgot to connect a hose that went to the air cleaner box. They also substuted bolts. (Kid mechanic)

However, if you feel up to it, and your not rushed, by all means you can do it yourself, with minimal tools.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Kind of like going into the hospital, because they are supposed to be professionals and coming out with an infection you picked up while in there. :)
Sometimes doing it yourself works better.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Terry, unless you were able to watch the work, I'd lay odds all you got was oil, filter, air filter cleaned. If they did the valves it would cost much more.

I'd suggest any of you planning on having them do it do two things:

lift the cover under the seat off, put some paint marks on various spots that would have to be removed to get to the valves; and tell them before hand that you want a record of what each of the valves were before adjustment, as you plan to maintain long term records..........

Later, check to see if the paint was scratched off.

As you can see, I'm not confident at all of the quality of work you get at the dealers. There are good ones, and if you know you have one, treasure him, but many will take advantage of you. I know this to be a fact.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts