Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from the BABC (Bikers Against Breast Cancer) ride, had a great time and met some decent people (Hi Dan and Laura).

Dan took some photos of our bikes and us, he said he would post them. A side by side 360' view of both bikes togeter (650/400).

To add intrest to this, I'm on my way home and decide to stop for gas (2.5gal for 119 miles). I see this red haired guy holding a small gas can , I ask him if he ran out of gas somewhere. He points over at Dorney park, I ask him if he wants a ride. So, I take him over to the parking lot and drop him off. He was thankful.

Hopefully he will remember this good deed and keep a sharp look out for motorcyclists while on the road.

Ed

·
Registered
224 Posts
I think we can borrow the old marketing phrase used by a well known motorcycle company a few years ago, and just change it a bit, now it should read...
"you meet the nicest people on a Burgman."
Bruce G. Woodburn
AN650[/i][/b]

·
Registered
105 Posts
Finally had time to get to this. Laura and I had a great time at the Bikers Against Breast Cancer Poker Run this weekend. :p We didn’t win, but what can you do? LOL! It was great meeting Ed (Tat-2) as well. Didn’t meet up with him until after the run. We got to know each other a bit, and then we checked out each other’s bikes. It was nice to be able to have a side by side view of the 400 and the 600. As we were comparing the bikes, we had several people come up and look at then, and ask questions. Everyone who looked at them had a positive comment to make. My favorite was; “Hell! That’ll keep up with anything on the road alright!” :thumbright:

I look forward to more events and meeting more Burgman riders. I have posted some pictures in the gallery of the bikes, as well as Ed, myself, my girlfriend Laura, and a sweet heart Harley babe named Michelle that we met at the Run. Hope you like the pix!!!

P.S. NO! I did not ride in shorts. I had my chaps on while riding. :angel8:

~Dan~

Pix: http://burgmanusa.com/gallery/B-A-B-C-R ... ts-the-400

·
Registered
320 Posts
Cool!

Dan and Ed,

Thanks for sharing your adventure and the photos. The bikes definitely look like siblings. Or perhaps fraternal twins.

Dan, how much time after you began riding did you start riding two-up? What were your challenges, if any?

Cheers,

Bryna

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for posting Dan,
I just happen to catch the Local News in my area about the rally and I'm in it.
I have a 40MB video, if it is ok to send it I will.

Ed

·
Registered
105 Posts
Allan, glad you liked the pix. You know I looked at those pix and thought someone might comment on the stickers! I’ll get to them when I get a chance.

Bryna, we still need to make that Burgman Oreo sandwich! As to riding two-up, I have been riding for 3 years now. The first 2 were all solo. I now have someone special in my life that likes to ride. So this is the first season riding with a passenger. There is a lot to adjust to when you have a passenger on. Here are a few comments:

1) Weight balance is totally different. Just steadying the bike when the passenger gets on can be tenuous.
2) Acceleration is much slower, but the 400 can handle it. And when it hits cruising speed it is SO sweet.
3) You need to brake earlier then you would normally.
4) Cross wins are more of a concern when there is more to blow against.
5) The passenger has to learn to ride in unison with you. When to lean, when not to lean, so on.
6) Personally, the hardest thing for me is coming to a stop, putting my foot down, and not leaning too far over. Then taking off without leaning to far again. Had a few scarier moments.

Hope that helps Bryna. There is a lot to learn riding two-up, but it is A LOT of fun. First and foremost, before you EVER thing of putting someone on the back of your bike, YOU need to be TOTALLY comfortable and confident on your riding and your knowledge of your bike. It is not just your life in your hands now!

Ed, nice job being the Good Samaritan! Ever one needs a hand ever now and then. I would love to see the news clip. 40 MB is a little huge though. I don’t think that my e-mail server will take it. Anyway to compress it? BTW, I will try and e-mail those pix to you today.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Thanks!

Thanks, Dan--that is great advice. Some echoes what David Hough writes in Proficient Motorcycling and some is new to me so it really helps. I know Lynn is eager to do two-up riding--and I want to--but I think my personality (and life experience) allows me to be more care-free about some thing and more cautious about others. My gut tells me neither of us will be ready to two-up the other this first year with the Burgie. And I'd much rather err on the side of caution, particularly when someone else's life is involved.

Can't wait to do that Burgie oreo, even if it's solo for now. :)

Cheers,

Bryna

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Hey Bryna I'm not one to push people , but the advantage you have with Lynn as a passenger or the other way around is that you both ride and shouldnt upset the balance of the bike while together.

Zendan, when your cornering tell your passenger to look over your shoulder on the same side that you are turning. Right shoulder if going right and of course left shoulder if going left.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts