Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at new tires for my 2011 Burgman 400. OEM are Bridgestone Hoops which I'm strongly considering, but when I look up the Hoops at online sellers, the pics show a completely different tread pattern than what I have now. Particularly they have a single groove around the center of the tire. While I have no personal experience, some have said that this type of tread pattern tends to cause the tire to follow pavement grooves. (The Michelin Pure Power has been accused of this characteristic and it does not that center groove.)

So, a few questions:

Anyone have any negative experiences with this type of circumferential groove tread pattern?

Has anyone purchased the Hoops recently and could verify if the tread has changed?

What tires come from the factory on the 2018+ bikes? From what I could tell from online pictures, they don't seem to be like either Hoop tread pattern.

While this isn't a "what's the best tire" thread, any comments or experiences regarding currently available tires would be welcome. A lot of the tire information on the forum is many years old, so all the information may not be up to date.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have recently purchased the hoop front tire from revzilla and it does have a groove running around the center of the tire. I found it does not effect the way the scooter tracks on the road. The back tire was replaced at the dealer last year and does not have a groove in the center, but I do not know where they purchased that one.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
I,v Stay Away from $110 tires, Spent $189 On Tires Now!!

·
Registered
689 Posts
I have bought two sets of Pirelli Diablos in a row for my 2013 AN400 and plan to stick with them indefinitely. They're cheaper than the Hoops, are extremely sticky, and wear well. On the first set I got 10,000 miles on the rear and 12,000 miles on the front. I keep pressure at 30 psi in front and 35 psi in the rear. I am a spirited rider (if not overly aggressive) and have never lost traction on wet or dry surfaces. Handling of any tire, of course, is subjective, but I'm satisfied.

Don't buy the inexpensive Michelin Power Pure tires. Relatively inexpensive but you get what you pay for. Only got 7,000 miles on a set, front and rear. Considering the the high labor cost of changing them, they were a lousy value.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that info about the Pirellis. I just want to make sure I don't get "stuck" with something that has quirky handling characteristics, like wandering or slipping, since I'll have the same tires for several years. I like to make spirited runs through the twisties, so grip and handling is important. Long wear is not extremely high on my list as I don't put that many miles on in a year, but good to know they do last as well or better than most.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dogboy - changing the subject for a moment...I see you have the Oxford overgrip heaters. Do you find they work satisfactorily? Have you used regular Oxford heated grips to compare? I have used the regular Oxfords on several bikes and actually purchased a set for the Burgman to install this winter. But I have really come to like the Kuryakyn Iso-grips that were on the bike when I bought it and would like to keep them if possible. (I like their function, but still not particularly excited about how they look...just seem to exude "Harley".) The overgrips seem like a possible solution.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I see you have the Oxford overgrip heaters. Do you find they work satisfactorily?
Yes, but they have only two settings: Off and Broil, so I mounted the switch where I can reach it with my thumb and cycle it on and off to maintain comfort. Not a big deal, and they DO get hot, which was the point.

Have you used regular Oxford heated grips to compare? I have used the regular Oxfords on several bikes and actually purchased a set for the Burgman to install this winter.
I have not. Nothing to compare them to except cold hands (which I don't get anymore).

But I have really come to like the Kuryakyn Iso-grips that were on the bike when I bought it and would like to keep them if possible. (I like their function, but still not particularly excited about how they look...just seem to exude "Harley".) The overgrips seem like a possible solution.
The HotHands may not fit over the Kuryakyn grips. I had to remove my Grip Puppy foam grip covers to put on the Oxford units. In the spring, I simply reversed the procedure: Removed the HotHands (while are REALLY easy to mount and remove) and remount the Grip Puppies (which are more difficult to remove and remount, although nothing that you can't do in ten minutes with some dish soap.

I unsnapped the handlebar cover and ran the wires under it permanently, and then ran the power cord through the hole in the back of the battery box to get to the 12v outlet in the glove box. I wanted to ensure that I'd never run down the battery by connecting the grips to an unswitched power source. I have a whole bunch of junk plugged into that 12v outlet, but the only things that draw significant power are the grips, and even that isn't particularly high. Never blown a fuse.

BTW, I'm going to be in your neighborhood this weekend at the MSTA River City Ride in Corydon. You going to be there?

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've written to the Oxford folks about fitment on oversized grips, and to see if I can use the regular grip controller I already have - it has five or six heat settings and an automatic power-off function and works flawlessly. Hoping it will work, but if so, why don't they include it in the kit from the git-go?

I'm not planning on going to the MSTA ride in Corydon. I'm not a big fan of group rides, although I can see the draw of a big social event like that. A few weeks ago I inadvertently got in on a group ride for a few miles before they turned off my route. There were at least a hundred bikes, the vast majority Harleys with loud pipes - it was quite a sight. Had to sit and wait on them a LONG time at an intersection then pulled in behind them on my Honda Helix 250cc scooter. I know group rides are not about speed, but they were going much slower than I normally would ride, even on the Helix. I felt quite out-of-place, lol!

Reactions: Dave_J

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wonder if the Pirellis are being discontinued. Three major online retailers didn't have them in the sizes for the B400 and many others - listed as Out of Stock or Backordered, both Diablo and Diablo Rosso. I don't need them right away so will keep looking around. If I had to buy them right now I might go with the Dunlop Scootsmart; don't figure I could go too wrong with what Suzuki is putting on the new 400s.

Reactions: Elliott Larron

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I've pretty much settled on Michelin City Grips. Once you get over the fact that they don't have a 120-80 14 inch front tire and put the 120-70 on instead, life pretty much continues. I go through 2 rear tires and one front per year. On FL roads you're not going to get much more than 10K out of a rear tire on the 400 no matter what you buy. And on FL roads, where a twisty is making a left turn at the light, handling limits aren't a huge factor. I haven't noticed any handling anomalies associated with grooved roads. Which, in FL, we have aplenty.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Will 2nd the diablo rosso scooter. I could not find it in stock and got the dunlop scootsmart which I have no experience with.

I really enjoyed riding with the DR tire and was excellent in the winter rain. I would not buy Michelins again. they are good but dont last long. <10000km

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I like the City Grips I have on the SYM. It's a whole different beast than the Burgman though, so probably not a fair comparison.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My plans have been somewhat thwarted. I've always bought tires and had them mounted at Cycle Gear, but found out the smallest they can do are 14" wheels. I'm not really interested in mounting tires so I'll have to try and find someone that can do a 13" wheel. Also, won't be long until the Helix will need a rear and that's 10".

·
Registered
289 Posts
I wonder if the Pirellis are being discontinued. Three major online retailers didn't have them in the sizes for the B400 and many others - listed as Out of Stock or Backordered, both Diablo and Diablo Rosso. I don't need them right away so will keep looking around. If I had to buy them right now I might go with the Dunlop Scootsmart; don't figure I could go too wrong with what Suzuki is putting on the new 400s.
I believe the Diablos are discontinued.

Bike Bandit is still showing the Diablo Rosso rear available, front is on B/O. https://www.bikebandit.com/tires-tubes/motorcycle-tires/pirelli-diablo-rosso-scooter-tire/p/56696?m=147571

I put on a set of Diablos in April, no complaints after almost 8,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, you guys talked me into the Diablos, and I found them (of all places) on Amazon. Just hope they're fresh and not already years old.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Well, you guys talked me into the Diablos, and I found them (of all places) on Amazon. Just hope they're fresh and not already years old.
Maybe you can get a closeup of the build date on the tire or send the seller a request for it.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Maybe you can get a closeup of the build date on the tire or send the seller a request for it.
Guess I should have thought of that before I paid for them. One of them was the last one on Amazon and I didn't want to dally, so just went ahead and did it.

Reactions: Uncle Fester

·
Registered
116 Posts
To answer the OPs original question:
The front B03-G 120/80-14 is mfg part #113365
The rear B02-G 150/70-13 is mfg part #113382
if you order the correct part number you will get the the tread pattern you are looking for.

Just replaced my rear yesterday. Got 12,000 miles on it. Never ride 2-up but do carry a bunch of crap in the top case and under the seat.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got 10K+ miles on the rear tire (got EVERY mile out of it - not recommended, of course, but when the tire BLEW, the tire wrapped around the rim and I safely coasted to a stop. This might be a matter of the Burgman's rim, and not the tire, but I don't know).

Anyway, I tried the Pirelli Diablo tire next and didn't get near that number of miles - more like 7K, so I went back to the original Hoops.

This is a link to the original tire with the correct picture for the 2007 model - just in case it's the same as your 2011. I had the same problem - different picture.

I just replaced my 2007 with the 2019 model. (not nearly the same amount of storage space as the 07, and even though it's about 45 pounds heavier, it SEEMS lighter). Different tires than my 2007, but 37K fewer miles all total!

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I got the Pirelli Diablos in. Interesting that though they came from different sellers in different parts of the country, they are both 2 years old. Makes me wonder if they stopped making them in 2017. At least a tire doesn't deteriorate as fast in a warehouse than in use. They should last at least 5 more years, which is probably longer than I'll have the bike. The oem on there now are 8 years old and still going strong with no visible cracking or deterioration. Mostly garaged so out of the sun and weather.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts