Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Rusty J, you're right. I really do not need a new scooter. I'm riding far less than I used to. My first maxi was a Silverwing and after I bought my first Burg400, I quickly learned that they could go any place that I used to go to on my motorcycles.

I toured from the San Francisco bay area down thru San Jose and Hollister and continued down to Paso Robles and on to Cambria (Hearst Castle area) and back up via the PCH (California St Route 1) to Monterey and then back home.

I also rode up SR-1 along the coast to Ft Bragg, CA & Eureka and then east to Redding, Mt Shasta & Mt Lassen. I also rode over Carson Pass; Monitor Pass; & Sonora Pass and then south on US 395 to Mammoth Lakes and then back home via Yosemite (Tioga Pass). I took many trips to Oakhurst (lower end of California's Gold Country Hwy 49).

The S'wing and Burg400 could easily do all of those rides. But I haven't done any of those rides in two years and have no plans at this time to do another one. Except maybe to Auburn, CA next month or Sept, depending on the pandemic and if our Governor keeps everythiing closed down in CA.

So yes, my new scooter would be just for local rides and quick trips to Vacaville (near Travis AFB) or to visit a friend in Vallejo. We live about 2 -3 miles from town so I go to the post office frequently because our postal carrier often doesn't see fit to do their job. Our little town has no medical facilities; one small grocery store; and a few restaurants - that's pretty much it, which requires regular trips to Vacaville for shopping, etc.

The local rides are to relieve my stress and get out of the house for 45 mins or so and it really works. So I have to weigh all of that and then decide.

·
Registered
63 Posts
We typically track all of our rides weight on bike is around 200 pounds so hope it helps to the ability and speeds and capabilities of the 200 it really is very impressive only reason is my wife wants to start riding cross country trips with me by the way all the top speeds are gps tracking speed not speedometer readings
A5548F45-E39F-4CA8-A57C-FCBF4DB96111.png
6C1E579C-F47D-4913-A2EF-351B52326222.png
55721700-ADD3-4118-A70C-11D6228BDAEB.png
D08A9EB4-6E74-4AF0-A11C-67AF4F18ABC8.png
868F24CB-D220-4706-82AC-F6DDDCD736A6.png
340CEA5B-3773-4C0A-93B7-971D5E1DAD6B.png
4C77EF5F-B3C9-49CA-88DC-A2CA641FD36F.png
D37E7C77-AD6B-4047-B811-61760995C3F8.png

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Kinda of cool thing you did with the GPS. Would you mind posting a pic of how you mounted it on your B200?

I never used a GPS when I rode motorcycles or my first scooter (Silverwing). I have a RAM mount for my Burg400 but seldom use the GPS.

One time on a trip back home from Oakhurst, I decided to take a different route from Merced Falls to Riverbank. Boy, was I lost. I didn't have my AAA maps for that area either and then things got worse. No gas stations around and my guage was down near the red zone. I accidentally found my way to another town (Waterford, CA) and had just enough gas to make it there and gas up. After that, I carried maps for the area that I planned to ride in and even brought along my GPS. Of course, I never got lost again.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I hate that “I’m out of gas” feeling gauge shows empty and no station in site and not know where there is one that actually happened about a month and a half ago on my Pismo to Georgia trip but thank goodness for technology found a station on my i Phone that was the closest and made it and speaking of technology I didn’t mount a GPS it’s an app on my phone and my wife has the same app it’s called “myride” it is by Yamaha there are others but I like this one just set it before you start riding and it tracks your ride via GPS
021CC891-B586-4DEE-B449-568B62061960.png

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Rusty J, you're right. I really do not need a new scooter. I'm riding far less than I used to. My first maxi was a Silverwing and after I bought my first Burg400, I quickly learned that they could go any place that I used to go to on my motorcycles.
The "you don't need a 200" was to DarisPakar, not you. :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Latest news from me regarding the switch from a B400 to a B200. I haven't returned to the dealer in Sacramento yet because I haven't had the time to do it. As much as I hate to part with my wonderful B400, I think that I will be going back to the dealer and if the B200 is still there, go ahead and buy it.

A major concern that I have is whether or not the suspension will work as well as my B400's does on our very bumpy local roads. If it doesn't then I will have made a major mistake. My wife has asked me if the B200 will be as comfortable to ride as the B400 but I've had to tell her that I don't know because I haven't ridden it.

The Honda Forza that I bought in 2015 was a total nightmare and waste of money because of the crappy suspension and rock hard seat. I traded it after less than three months and bought my current B400. I don't want to make that mistake again. Although the seat on the B200 felt very comfortable to me when I sat on it the other day. My concern is how the suspension will work on our rough roads here.

I mentioned to my wife that I might just keep my B400 for another year or two and then sell it. But she expressed concern that I might get hurt if I continue riding it - she knows that I've struggled with the weight of the scooter when it wants to fall to one side or the other when I come to a stop.

We'll see what happens tomorrow. I welcome any comments from you folks regarding your experiences with the suspension of the B200 over bad roads.

Reactions: Dave_J

·
Registered
782 Posts
Do you get these in the US. Possibly another option three wheels so no falling over. Come to a standstill pop a lever dont even have to put your feet down.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Latest news from me regarding the switch from a B400 to a B200. I haven't returned to the dealer in Sacramento yet because I haven't had the time to do it. As much as I hate to part with my wonderful B400, I think that I will be going back to the dealer and if the B200 is still there, go ahead and buy it.

A major concern that I have is whether or not the suspension will work as well as my B400's does on our very bumpy local roads. If it doesn't then I will have made a major mistake. My wife has asked me if the B200 will be as comfortable to ride as the B400 but I've had to tell her that I don't know because I haven't ridden it.

The Honda Forza that I bought in 2015 was a total nightmare and waste of money because of the crappy suspension and rock hard seat. I traded it after less than three months and bought my current B400. I don't want to make that mistake again. Although the seat on the B200 felt very comfortable to me when I sat on it the other day. My concern is how the suspension will work on our rough roads here.

I mentioned to my wife that I might just keep my B400 for another year or two and then sell it. But she expressed concern that I might get hurt if I continue riding it - she knows that I've struggled with the weight of the scooter when it wants to fall to one side or the other when I come to a stop.

We'll see what happens tomorrow. I welcome any comments from you folks regarding your experiences with the suspension of the B200 over bad roads.
I think a lot of it is going to be (without being to personal) height and weight for me the 200 was a little cramped in the leg area but that’s coming from my 650 burgman and when I picked up my wife’s new 400 felt fine not as much leg room but not cramped I’m 5’11” and 270 and I didn’t ever notice that the 200 suspension bottomed out but not on any really bad roads I don’t remember the 200 shock being adjustable like the 400

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
On 7/22/20, I rode my B400 to the dealer in Sacramento, CA, to check out the B200 one more time. I was actually prepared to trade in my Burg400 and buy the B200. But, on my way to Sacramento the cross winds on Hwy 12, Hwy 113, and I-80 were terribly strong. Add that to the incredibly torn up roads (Hwy 12 & 113) and if it wasn't for the great suspension on my B400 and the very good seat, I would have turned around and returned home.

By the time I arrived at the dealership, I had convinced myself that a lighter bike would not have worked for riding those roads. I think whatever scooter one rides in my area has to have some weight to it and have very good suspension and a good seat. I haven't ridden a B200 but I don't think that it has the weight and the suspension that I require in my area for the strong cross winds and lousy roads (thanks CalTrans for not fixing out roads here in California).

At the end, I returned home with my Burg 400 and felt better. The salesman at the dealership gave me the name and phone number for an upholstery shop in Carmichael, CA, that will shave a little off the seat foam and add a gel insert to keep my seat comfortable and yet lower it a tad so that I can still flat foot when I am stopped or coming to a stop and help avoid the feeling that my bike is going to fall over.

So for now, the saga is over. But if I see a used B200 in my area, I might just take it for a test ride and see if it might work for me as my primary bike and then sell my Burg 400. Too bad that dealers do not allow test rides of new bike (except for A&S BMW in Roseville, CA).

Reactions: DarisPakar

·
Administrator
18,362 Posts
Over the last 25 years I have looked at a few $15K bikes. After checking them out on line and then going to a dealer to look and sit on it the question comes up, "Can I test ride it?" The dealers that said "NO!" or "If you buy it and do not like it, you can bring it back." I have told them nicely to go pound sand. If you buy a bike and ride it 100 miles and decide its not for you, they will refund you less as it is now a used bike and they can not sell it as new.

Do not fall for that trap as a friend did. No test ride allowed. He lost $3500 on a Harley V-Rod when he bought it with cash at noon , rode it 25 miles and brought it back to the dealer at 2 PM and said it was not a good fit. A $3500 25 mile test ride.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Back in the mid 80s there was a Honda motocycle dealer in Hayward, CA. They primarily sold Hondas but also sold a couple of other brands. They allowed test rides of a few miles on the new bikes they sold. I bought a Honda Nighthawk 450 (new unsold model from a couple of years prior). I rode it home to Dublin, CA (about 25 miles or so). By the time I got home I had decided that I'd rather have the new 650 Nighthawk that they had for sale.. I called the salesman and he said sure, bring it back, but it would be better if you trailered it back so that you don't put on more miles. We'll give you full credit. A friend of mine came right over with his pick up and we loaded the 450 on it and returned it to the dealer. I gave it back and bought the 650. No problems. Gosh, I wish we still had dealerships like that.

I made a big mistake like your friend did when I bought the new 2015 Honda Forza 300ABS and rode it home. I nearly got blown off of the tall Antioch Bridge and then later, the crosswinds almost blew me into oncoming big rigs on Hwy 12.
The seat was also tearing up my low back on our rough local roads and even a nice seat pad didn't help much. I lost good money on that purchase when I had to trade it in on a new Burg 400 three months later.

·
Registered
63 Posts
On 7/22/20, I rode my B400 to the dealer in Sacramento, CA, to check out the B200 one more time. I was actually prepared to trade in my Burg400 and buy the B200. But, on my way to Sacramento the cross winds on Hwy 12, Hwy 113, and I-80 were terribly strong. Add that to the incredibly torn up roads (Hwy 12 & 113) and if it wasn't for the great suspension on my B400 and the very good seat, I would have turned around and returned home.

By the time I arrived at the dealership, I had convinced myself that a lighter bike would not have worked for riding those roads. I think whatever scooter one rides in my area has to have some weight to it and have very good suspension and a good seat. I haven't ridden a B200 but I don't think that it has the weight and the suspension that I require in my area for the strong cross winds and lousy roads (thanks CalTrans for not fixing out roads here in California).

At the end, I returned home with my Burg 400 and felt better. The salesman at the dealership gave me the name and phone number for an upholstery shop in Carmichael, CA, that will shave a little off the seat foam and add a gel insert to keep my seat comfortable and yet lower it a tad so that I can still flat foot when I am stopped or coming to a stop and help avoid the feeling that my bike is going to fall over.

So for now, the saga is over. But if I see a used B200 in my area, I might just take it for a test ride and see if it might work for me as my primary bike and then sell my Burg 400. Too bad that dealers do not allow test rides of new bike (except for A&S BMW in Roseville, CA).
Good for you Tony I think you made a good decision and any kind of strengthening exercises might make you stronger and feel more confident it sure helped me after my open heart surgery good luck and keep riding and again if your ever in the area and we still have the 200 your more than welcome to ride it no obligation just one motorcyclist to another

21 - 32 of 32 Posts