Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, due to my age and low back issues, I've decided to sell or trade in my 2015 Burgman 400 ABS. I've found that the B400 has become to heavy for me and I dropped it on my left leg already.

I recently found one used B200 but it was sold last Saturday . I am now looking at two different dealers that have new B200s "on sale". So I'm seriously considering trading in my wonderful B400 on one of the B200s. I will decide in the next couple of days and would like to hear from any of you that might have made the switch to a B200 from a larger scooter.

·
Premium Member
3,164 Posts
Find out what they offer you for trade in and then post it here in classified section. Maybe you and a buyer here can out maneuver the Stealership .

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Not so much a switch, here, as an addition.
My '05 650 is getting up there in miles, and I'm trying to make it last as long as possible -- at least one big road trip -- before I need to start worrying about the transmission. So I got a 200 to put the miles on, and use as a daily commuter.

It's worked quite well in that role for the last 25K miles. It'll do freeway speed limits nicely (65MPH/69 indicated) with a little bit left over if needed (never carried a passenger -- if you do, it might not be quite as good on freeways...). It's not as "planted" as the 650, but that's to be expected since it's a couple of hundred pounds lighter. The ABS has saved my bacon at least twice. The stock tires aren't great on wet pavement, but Michelin City Grips are a good replacement.

The OEM tall windscreen does what it's supposed to. Quiets things down a bit, keeps you a bit warmer.

If you're short of inseam, this is your bike. Works ok if you're not really short, too. Note that the handlebars are NOT adjustable without cutting and welding -- it is what it is. Light, fairly quick-handling, almost as much cargo space as the larger bikes in the lineup.

If you regularly need to cruise at above 70 MPH (actual), or 65 with a passenger, you probably need a 400. Otherwise, the 200 will suffice. If you do end up regularly cruising above 65 (bike tops out at 74), you may need to replace the belt early. You'll know if it's going since the RPMs for a given speed will go up and give you a few hundred miles advance notice.

·
Premium Member
3,164 Posts
Very nice write up Rusty J,

I didn’t even know you had one....now I have a better understanding of when a B200 should be considered. Could you post some pics of your Baby Burgman ?

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
By the published stats, only about a 12% weight reduction between the Burgman 400 and 200. Will that be enough to make a difference for you?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rusty J, thanks for the info you provided in your comment. I appreciate it and find it very useful. The low seat of both the B400 and the B200 are about the same and that's important because I'm a short guy.

My first scooter after riding motorcycles since 1962, was a Silverwing. And it got too heavy for me causing me increased low back pain and I strained my shoulder a couple of times. The lower weight of the B400 compared to the S'wing was enough to make a big difference and enabled me to keep riding for a number of years (about 50 - 60 lbs less) longer.

The Burg 200 weighs 128 lbs less than the B400, so that works for me. I did buy a 2015 Honda Forza but I only had it for three months. The suspension and seat was absolutely horrible! Also, the weight or design caused it to be blown around like crazy. I don't scare easy but going over the very tall Antioch Bridge in my area and the cross winds of the road that goes through town, put some fear into me. That bike got blown around like nothing that I've ever ridden before.

The two main highways that go through my area are two lane, 55 MPH limit rural roads with strong cross winds.

When I go on longer rides, I do my best to avoid interstates and freeways but sometimes it is unavoidable to ride on them. But, I am no longer going on long or overnight rides like I used to. It will be local roads and rides to other nearby cities or areas on rural or backroads. But those roads required at least a 60 MPH sustained speed or you'll get run over.

I sure hate to part with my B400.

Tony

·
Registered
2,503 Posts

I didn’t even know you had one....now I have a better understanding of when a B200 should be considered. Could you post some pics of your Baby Burgman ?
It's a 2016 (white). Currently running the original windscreen again after swapping between it and the OEM tall one a couple of times. Other than a clever bit with self-adhesive Velcro tape to let me strap a bag on the back seat (similar to what I did with my 650 but different in front) and the bracket for my weird phone, it's stock.

The main batch of photos I have of it were specifically to get the license plate to prove that my bike wasn't the one a toll highway camera tagged for a violation... (The bike hasn't been within 75 miles of that city, in fact)

Here's one shot "over the shoulder" by a fellow rider on a group ride back in February. Yes, the headlight is on one side only (high beam is the other side, like the '07 B400).

Basically looks just like any other 2016 B200. LOL.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, today I rode my B400 about 60 miles to a dealer that has a new B200 on sale. They do not allow test rides so I only got to sit on it and look at it. Seat felt comfortable to me and my feet were flat on the ground - two big pluses. The controls were similar to my B400 and the storage was sufficient but not as large as my B400's. It was much lighter feeling to me to lift it up from the side stand and move it around. Also felt much lighter to put it on the center stand.

After the longish ride on my B400 to and from the dealer, I was more convinced that I should trade it in on the lighter B200. Once I'm moving, the larger scooter is fine and handles great. I rode on both rural roads and on the higher speed I-80 and I-5, here in Northern California. I got off of I-5 and rode the last 25 miles or so on a narrow levee road along the Sacramento River and back home.

I noticed that when I would come to a stop and if the bike leaned to either side, I struggled to keep it upright. I felt the upward pressure on my legs, into my hips and lower spine. That was not a good feeling and was a convincing argument to not keep the B400. I fear that I will drop it before long.

I'm thinking that a B200 is in my future.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The B200 is really a nice scooter. It is light enough to make us (both wife & I) feel safe to move it about the driveway and garage. The entrance to the garage is via a ramp and we have had no accidents riding it up and down that ramp.
The wife and I are both in our 70s and not large people.

It is a 2014 and we have replaced only the Battery, Start Relay and Tires (7000+ miles).

Stay Well.

·
Premium Member
3,164 Posts
TonyM , If it keeps the two wheel option in your choice of transportation....do it. I’d hate not being able to jump on a scooter and go....it’s just so therapeutic. A 20 minute scooter ride to the grocery store every other day makes a week so much nicer.

Reactions: Rusty J and TonyM

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, it is therapeutic and that's why I enjoy riding a motorbike so much. I've been riding since 1962, with my first bike was a Honda Super Sports 50 that was replaced a year later with a Super Hawk 305. A friend of mine turned 90 recently and he is still riding but switched from a Harley to a CanAm so that he could keep riding.

Reactions: Dave_J

·
Premium Member
3,164 Posts
Yes, it is therapeutic and that's why I enjoy riding a motorbike so much. I've been riding since 1962, with my first bike was a Honda Super Sports 50 that was replaced a year later with a Super Hawk 305. A friend of mine turned 90 recently and he is still riding but switched from a Harley to a CanAm so that he could keep riding.
I seen where you posted this in another thread:

“Retired California city Police Officer and Retired County Criminal Investigator - US Army veteran”

You have paid your dues Dude !
Every minute these last couple months looking thru a Burgman Screen vs a TV Screen have been moments that no one can take from you.

When everything is so outa control it’s a super nice feeling to twist a throttle and know we still have some control left.

Ride on my Friend !

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
DarisPakar, thank you. Yes, it's been a long hard road but I'm proud and honored to have served. I enlisted in the US Army when the Vietnam War started in 1965 (large units sent there) and after my Army service, I entered law enforcement and got to "enjoy" the Berkeley (California) riots and other California events in the San Francisco Bay Area. I did not retired unscathed though and suffered a disabling low back injury. But I've always loved riding a motor bike!

Reactions: DarisPakar

·
Registered
2,503 Posts

Replying again, I gave my first impressions and posted some follow-up comments in my thread from Septermber 2016.

I did a lot of posting in the "under 399cc" forum... LOL

·
Administrator
18,401 Posts
Tony, find out what the STEALER will pay for trade in and then offer it up on here for a few hundred ($500-$800) more. I'd not take their low ball offer.

Reactions: DarisPakar

·
Premium Member
3,164 Posts
Replying again, I gave my first impressions and posted some follow-up comments in my thread from Septermber 2016.

TonyM , Ya gotta read this thread ....Rusty J should be writing for a Moto-Mag ...so clean with no BS with each sentence placing you at the handle bars telling you what you want to know before you ask.

I feel like I just broke in my B200..... Has the exhaust note rounded out ?

You seem much taller behind a keyboard ....

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
DarisPakar, thank you for the link to Rusty J's post about the B200. Somehow I had missed it. I just read through both pages but I'll reading them again later.

My hips and low back are painful today. But I realized that I had not ridden my B400 that far in almost two years! Plus it was very windy throughout our region yesterday so I was fighting the wind while riding to and from.

After giving more thought to my situation I have no doubt that my B400 has to go. And I will likely buy the B200 next week sometime. According to a trusted friend who has owned both a Silverwing and a B400 and has had dealings with the the dealer, that dealership can be trusted and is fair. And I was pleased with the phone interaction with one of the two sales persons and also pleased with the in person interaction with the other fellow yesterday. We'll see how it goes when I return next week. Wish me luck. Oh, I've actually gotten excited about buying the B200 and wish that I could got back to the dealer sooner but I've got too many things going the next few days.

Thanks for all of you for your helpful comments!

Tony

·
Premium Member
3,164 Posts
You bet TonyM, dam after reading Rusty J I’m looking forward to getting a B200 !😂

·
Registered
63 Posts
Tony I think you will love the 200 now for my real posting my wife just upgraded to a 2020 400 but she had a 2018 200 that I bought new and as around 2500 miles never been down and I did the 600 mile service myself anyway it’s at one of my car lots might be to far away from you but if your ever in the Central Valley and want to take it on a long extended test ride to make sure it will work for you your more than welcome to just as long as you understand if you break anything you would be responsible and we would be more than happy to take your 400 in trade you can see the bike on our website dealerschoiceincca.net as long as I’m not breaking any of the rules of this forum

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
You bet TonyM, dam after reading Rusty J I’m looking forward to getting a B200 !😂
Eh. If I understand your use case, you probably don't need one except as a local runabout. Which can be fun! :)

Basically, the 200 is for the following use cases:
  • You really want a lightweight maxi-scooter.
  • You're short.
  • You're ok with going no faster than 65MPH (actual) except for quick bursts to pass or to escape tailgaters.
  • You don't ride 2-up on the freeway.
The 400 is for the following use cases:
  • Pretty much anything.
    • Maybe long-distance 2-up touring is a bit of a stretch. It'll do it, though.
The 650 is for the following use cases:
  • As above, but with an adjustable windshield, power-folding mirrors, and MORE POWER!!!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts