Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading previous posts on people uncomfortable withe the stock 400 seat for a few hours now. My conclusion is that due to my long legs and the slope (or maybe narrowness) of the seat, my thighs are unsupported and the weight concentrated where it oughtn't be.

I am considering the following. Any comments/suggestions welcome.

1 I prefer to keep the stock seat pan with the first choice being replacing the butt hump with the Jac Iverson extender. Has anyone ordered and installed this? The picture of the product on his website looks a little rough.
2 Again keeping the stock pan, I saw some great pics of reshaping the seat foam, inserting gel pads and putting the cover back on. Very nice job, but not sure I could do it.
3. Final choice would be to go with a local (So Cal) custom remake on the stock pan. Can anyone recommend a custom seat vendor in the LA area?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
1) I have not used one. Have you looked at the Utopia back rest?
2) You may need to make the seat higher. The seat pan slopes up to meet the trunk two or three inches in front of the area where the butt rest was located and there is has very little foam there.
3) if you find one, let me know. I would like to have one custom made

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Roy,

The Utopia looks like it doesn't add any room for me to sit further back on the seat. Still thinking about the Jac Vinson (spelled correctly this time, sorry Jac) because it gives extra room and looks like it might be easily reversible.

Hopefully, someone can recommend a custom seat shop in Los Angeles area. I know there must be some.

Trav - goin for a ride now.....

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Travis,

Jac's backrest mod does provide a bit more room on the seat, lengthwise. You can also install it on the other side of the bracket to gain another 1" or so. Doesn't sound like much, but worked like a charm for me.

I highly recommend Jac's back rest mod, & suggest that you get the optional lower pad to go with it. I am in the process of making an insert to fit into the back of the upper pad to clean up it's appearance a bit & make it look more aestheticly pleasing to the eye. I am even incorporating a couple of pockets to stash small bits & pieces that I would like to be easily accessible. Once it's done, I'll attach it with some Velcro to the back rest & viola!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info Wyldman and recommendation. I'm going to test the solution by taking the hump off for a while and then consider Jac's extender. I wonder it he could sell the back piece you are trying to make as part of the kit with adhesive velcro strips to install it with.

I also should mention that I did about 60 miles today in a big loop west of Long Beach around Palos Verdes Peninsula and back, plus some "errands" for a total of 85 miles in about three hours. My discomfort went way down from yesterday. All I did different was keep my feet up on the forward sloped footrests and my butt pressed back against the hump. I noticed when I went over bumps that I bounced forward like I was slipping off the seat. I'm thinking just another .5 to 1 inch would allow me to stay more firmly on the flat portion of the seat. Gonna see if I can eek that out using some of the suggestions elsewhere.

All this moves the windshield up to my new number one priority - decisions, decisions!

Travis

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
When I bought my 400 it already had Jac's backrest on it. I do like it however you should be aware that if you hit a bump the backrest will bump you unless you lean forward some. Not a big thing, just something to be aware of. I added more padding to the lower bracket and that seemed to help me a little. Keep in mind the backrest will do little/nothing for your butt-comfort. It does give a bit more back support but it doesn't add anything to the seatpad itself. For you (out there in sunny Cali) I'd suggest trying a BeadRider which should help with the pressurepoints as well as reducing the heat/burning. It's a solution that will cost you around $40 and if you still need something better you haven't dumped too much money. Sheepskin is good also but does nothing for the burn.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Pauljo for the recommendation on bead rider. I'll likely give it a try.

Selias, love your ride to work website - so jealous! I actually thought about doing a photo tour of mine as well. It is pretty incredible, but for a different reason. Narrow urban thoroughfares with onstreet parking, intersection signals timed to foster frustrated cages to run them, potholes from the wettest winter on record, generally decaying infrastructure and driving ethics more southeast Asian than American. Don't get me wrong, I love living/working in Long Beach. It doesn't get any better in So Cal. And, I can get way out in the boonies in an hour or so.

Trav

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
At least you get offshore effect and don't have to choke smog all day! :)
Just weird having the sunsetting on the smog, Sorry, I love the fresh air. Wasn;t too bad in the BayArea on the peninsula (offshore effect there too) and finally moved to Tahoe. I heartily recommend it for those who are self-sustaining and do not mind 7-9 months/year of snow/ice on the ground! :) For ME, Texas reminds me of the way California was before Cali became overpopulated. There is good and bad most everywhere, grab for the flowers and avoid the stink! :D

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Still breaking in the scooter - 300 miles now. Have taken a couple of 1 plus hour rides with little butt pain. Longer rides could still be a problem, but unless I can get wind/noise relief for my 6'2 self, I won't be taking any longer trips than that anyway.

LOVE riding the Burgie though. My truck has been parked for a week. I forgot how much I enjoyed just getting around on a bike/scooter. SoCal is really scooter heaven - weatherwise, anyway.

Travis

·
Registered
36 Posts
:shock: Am I the only one that found the title of this post dirty? :shock:

I mean really, Butt Hump Mods? :lol: That's just funny....

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the laugh! :oops: I just used what I thought I heard everyone else calling it. Maybe they said "butt rest" .....

Travis

1 - 14 of 14 Posts