Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone often ride a 650 in heavy city traffic?

Does it seem nimble enough, or does it seem too bulky for passing, negotiating gridlock, etc...

Does its "weight" seem to disappear as you turn the throttle?

I was considering the 400, but since they're both identical in dimensions, and actually not that much different than other scooters I've ridden (2" wider, 5" longer) in size, maybe it's a non-issue?

I think the magnetic switch cover is one of THE best security features out there. Brilliant idea by Suzuki!

A local dealer is pushing me to get their last remaining '03 650.

I am going to challenge him to $7000 out-the-door. We'll see how motivated he really is to sell.

I am liking the 650 more and more each time I sit on it. If he meets my challenge, I'm getting it (and maybe even if he doesn't ;-) ). Gotta try, right?

David

·
Registered
741 Posts
David,

Weight of scooter...
Your concerns about 650 being heavy is opposite to what it is really like, for me it fells to light when going slow through traffic & wonders a bit, but you get use to it pretty quick. ( I think the steering is to light )

Through traffic ...
I find it easier to feather the throttle to stop it from winding off and you get strong engine braking, and when you throttle on again you tend to give it more then you need to get the clutch to engage before you stop, and then you get a rubber band effect launching you off again, not good in between traffic.

Also I was concerned about the width of 650 with mirrors, but so far I’ve only needed to fold them in once or twice to get through tight traffic.

Hope this helps

Rgds Greg …

P.S. - Can't comment on 400 don't sell them in Australia

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Greetings Darex:

I live in a city where the population is 3 million. This thing is a dream in traffic. You can put along at 5km/hr with feet up and still not notice the weight of the machine. As Greg mentioned, due to heavy engine braking, it takes a bit to get used to when coming to a stop. After my first week with the machine I was comfortable with this braking issue. The only problem I have in heavy traffic with it is the number of people who see me beside them and there so taken with the machine that they always ask about it. I've had more strangers ask about this machine that Suzuki owes me a check for being a public relations person on there behalf.

G

·
0 Posts
What Greg and allwalk say about the 650 is true for me as well.

Because the transmission is always in gear, it will take some adjustment period to get your hand used to low-speed throttle without the benefit of neutral or clutch disengagement.

Once you are used to it, you learn to appreciate the fact that you can negotiate quite easily in a parking lot environment and then turn around have a good deal of confidence out on the open roads.

The girth of the bike makes it not-so-easy to negotiate in-between cars lined-up in traffic. The problem is drastically eliminated if we are able to install the auto-folding mirrors that apparently (I could be wrong here) are available as OEM for Japan. How I wish I could just order that from here.

This bike runs right in middle with the best of both worlds. Lots of power, lots of comfort, lot of built-in storage space, quite nimble, and is perhaps the best all-around bike for street use ever, IMO.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have a question. I keep seeing mentions of going in between cars... is that legal in some areas? I don't think it is here in Florida....

Just wondering,

Kenny

·
Registered
741 Posts
Kenny,

Going inbetween traffic @ a stop is legal "ish" , depends on who you speak to, last call was told it's OK @ walking pass when traffic is stationary (traffic lights). :D
And on the move you can cut between cars (side by side), but you must indicate a lane change and effect it. :lol:

Rgds Greg ...
Australia ...

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Going between cars or better known as lane splitting is illegal here in Canada. I hear it's legal in California. So......any of you Californians cruising up to the Great White North beware you may get a ticket if you practice lane splitting up here . :wink: You've been warned!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
traffic and lane-splitting

Hi Allway et al:

I'm from Toronto originally, so I know it well ;-).

I'm getting the impression you all come from a motorcyclist's perspective; whereas, for me, this will be my 4th twist-n-go scooter.

I'm wondering therefore if it's any different than any other scooter I've ridden in this "start-n-stop" in slow traffic scenario we're talking about.

I have to assume it's similar, in which case, I'm totally used to finessing the throttle already, and letting the engine handle some of the braking.

However, perhaps with the 650 engine braking is more of an issue than other scooters. I've read people describe that it's very difficult to "walk" this scooter on a flat (non-grade) surface. That's a concern, as it does come into play sometimes while parking or leaving a parking spot.

It's had to judge if all the descriptions of wind sensitivity and throttle issues and such are really unique to the 650.

I guess there's only one way to find out if it behaves similarly to my current scooter (Piaggio Beverly 200) in the way it moves.

As for lane-splitting, I was just in LA and it's quite shocking how much it goes on on the 405 Freeway. Lots of full-speed lane-splitting goes on there. I haven't seen the like anywhere else.

Personally, I only do it in stopped traffic -- when desperate!

Hey! You're not a car, so you needn't suffer gridlock or blockages as they do. They'd do it too, if they could.

David

·
Registered
21 Posts
Freeways, lane-splitting and stopping

Greetings Gentle Folks,

While on the subject of freeways, never stop on a freeway...

Even if a policeman wants to stop you, find somewhere safe and off the road before stopping.

In the last 1 and a half years, 2 people I've heard of, are no longer around because some car driving dimwit, with a mobile telephone, asleep, not paying attention has done 'em in....

And Perth Western Australia is just a small town.

nev

·
Registered
728 Posts
I don't know about other states & countries, but where I live, New York State, I don't think it is legal. I"m not sure, but from what I've seen happen, I'd never ride between two lanes of cars anyways. I've been on the expressway, in stopped traffic, tempted to go down the side, or between, then while contiplating it, seen others do it, and in one instance, somebody in a car opend there door, and the two cyclists had to go in the ditch to avoid hitting there door. The other instance was a car moving to the side to see what the hold up was, and making the cycleist have an accident trying to avoid hitting the car.
Now, I have been stoped, first one in line at a railroad crossing, and I have cut through the gates before the train has come, (this is when the gates first come down).
Please be careful. Riding a motorcycle doesn't mean you have "special" rights, be careful what you try to get away with.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Re: traffic and lane-splitting

Darex said:
However, perhaps with the 650 engine braking is more of an issue than other scooters. I've read people describe that it's very difficult to "walk" this scooter on a flat (non-grade) surface. That's a concern, as it does come into play sometimes while parking or leaving a parking spot.
Darex, the "feel" of the braking may be somewhat different from your current scooter but it's not what I would call an "issue". Like going from one bike (or car) to another, it may feel different from what you are used to but you will adjust quickly and never give it another thought.
As far as "walking" the 650, I can slow-ride my 650 at a crawl, with both feet on the floorboards, for as long as necessary by just using a little throttle and lightly dragging the rear brake (just like using throttle and clutch/brake on a m/c). The Burgman is well-balanced and easy to ride slowly even from a stop.
Don

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I have no problems paddle walking my 650 backwards into a parking space. I have long legs though, which undoubtably helps. It's about what I'd expect a 500 lb bike to feel like when I do it.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I would suggest that while legal or not is an issue, the first thing I would do is ask a local traffic cop what he would do if he saw you.
His/her answer may give you a good clue. :lol:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Lane splitting's legal here in Japan and I rarely see accidents caused by it. It would take forever to get through city and highway traffic jams if I had to sit in one place and suck car fumes :shock:

·
Registered
822 Posts
Twinrider said:
Lane splitting's legal here in Japan and I rarely see accidents caused by it. It would take forever to get through city and highway traffic jams if I had to sit in one place and suck car fumes :shock:
Lane splitting is legal here in California too. In addition... motorcycles can use the diamond or carpool lanes without having a passenger. My understanding is it started years ago when California legislature passed these into laws because at the time all motorcycles were air cooled and, unless they kept moving, would overheat and stall causing traffic jams.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I came to the Burgman from a 150cc Malaguti, and have limited "real" motorcycle experience.

The biggest change on the Burgman is indeed the engine braking, and the clutch disengagement at about 10mph. Below 10mph, the Burg behaves very much like my Malaguti: you can feather the throttle, then back off and the bike will coast. When the clutch engages, backing off will also slow the bike. As someone mentioned, it takes about a week to get used to, and I actually find the engine braking helpful. You can modulate the speed of the bike almost exclusivly with the throttle. I've come to even lightly depressing the brake just to let cars behind me know I'm slowing, even through I'm using the engine for throttle and braking.

The weight distribution of the burger is great. On a flat surface, and being sure I'm looking in a forward direction, I can "cruise" around at about 3mph all day long. The only difficulty is pushing the bike around on an incline. As Paul mentioned, it feels just like trying to move a 500lb bike around! The turning radius is also a bit wider than a standard scoot, due to the longer wheelbase.

I've sat in juge traffic jams, and rolled through NYC, and had no problems. If you're coming from a smaller scoot, just take some time to get familiar with the machine. The balance, etc. are great for traffic, but it definitely rides differently than a 200lb scooter.

Unless you're planning on doing 90% city riding where a 50cc scoot would be far superior, the 650 trumps a smaller displacement machine any day. I frequently take mine "around town" in Stamford, CT., so it's certainly not limited to highway touring by any stretch of the imagination.

·
Registered
610 Posts
OTD $7000.

This is my first post here. :? I have been reading this site like others for months now to help make my descision for a burgman 650 or 400. I decided on the 650. I am buying a used 03 1,100 miles on the 650 silver on Saturday for $5850 plus calif sales tax. This is a private party.

In regards to the 7,000 OTD I know you could do better. In the LA area on cycle trader you can find a new 03 no miles for 5999. Plus tax and paperwork. Their is a used 03 with 500 miles on for 5599. I have called on both bikes.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Dutch,

Welcome to BurgmanUSA. Congratulations on buying the 650. You want to make sure that it did have the 600 mile break-in service. If it didn't, it should be done immediately. Have fun on the Burgman, and let us know how things go with it.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Welcome to the BurgmanUSA forums Dutch. Glad to have you join us.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts