Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would like to know your average mileage on burgman 400. Riding is 25-30 miles roundtrip with 20 miles of interstate.

Mine is just a hair short of 200 miles, and getting around 33-40 mpg. Am assuming the 600 mile service should boost it and engine should break out and perform better.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Have you gone through a tank of gas and calculated it manually? The mileage computer is notoriously inaccurate.

Even still, 33-40 is hideously low. I don't think I've ever posted lower than low the 50s. My average is somewhere around 58 combined riding. Even my 650 is in the mid 40s range.

The 400 is very sensitive to how you ride, street and high speed (80+ mph) will take you down to the low 50s. Twisties and slow cruising (65 mph) should yield low 60s mpg.

My fuel computer usually reads 3-4 mpg less than actual. If you're not getting these results, you need to take it back to the dealer. There is something seriously wrong with the bikes EFI system.

Note - my figures are ACTUAL speeds, not indicated speed. The speedometer is about 10% positive, so 65 actual is 72 indicated.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Oh, and check tire pressures if you haven't already. Dealer should have set them properly, but you never know.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I commute 38.2 miles (76.4 RT) to work. The first 14 miles, as the bike warms up, I get in the low 50's mpg (65-70 mph true speed). The last 24 miles or so I get in the low 60's (50-60 mph true speed) so by the end of a tank my indicated mpg is around 58-59. Calculated is 2-3 mpg above that. I reset ODO2 after every fill up and let ODO1 keep a running average which is currently around 59.4

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
In the winter when I'm only making my short commute to work, I get mid to upper 50's, mostly traveling 55-60mph. As the weather warms and I start taking longer jaunts in addition to the commute, I get 60-65mpg. In perfect conditions of extended 45-60 mph, I have hit 70+ mpg.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for awesome tips and sharing your experience. Hope I do get similar great mileage and justify to my wife it is worth it :p

·
Registered
239 Posts
If you have a lot of stop and go driving, or short trips the mileage drops considerably. I mostly ride mine to run errands nowadays, but will still get 45 mpg or so.

It is surprising though, since you haven't done your 600 yet, you're still breaking it in, and since most your mileage is interstate you should be getting around 60 mpg. What speeds are you riding at, and what rpm is it at that speed~?

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
I averaged (hand calculated) 62.4 over the 46k+ miles I owned my 07 400. I'm right at 52.7 for 650 with 13k+ miles I've put on it. I'm at 41.7 on my diesel Passat with just under 11k on it. :D

·
Registered
207 Posts
Mike, what do you figure your average highway speed is on your 650, when you're getting 52.7 MPG?

I'm consistently getting 47.0 MPG on my 2013 650, only varying +/-0.1 or so per tank, and we're probably running the same crappy CA gasoline. My commute (maybe 75% highway) averages 80 MPH on the highway.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Mike, what do you figure your average highway speed is on your 650, when you're getting 52.7 MPG?

I'm consistently getting 47.0 MPG on my 2013 650, only varying +/-0.1 or so per tank, and we're probably running the same crappy CA gasoline. My commute (maybe 75% highway) averages 80 MPH on the highway.
My commute to work is on 2 lane desert road for 20 miles & then 5 miles on four lane express way with 2 signals & 65 mph speed limit. With my 5% speedo error 2 lane road I average 62 or so. On the express way it's more like 67-70 mph. Desert stop & go streets are nothing like LA, Orange Co. stuff. I moved out of there once I got out of the service in 69. :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ride at 60-70 mph for 8-9 miles one way with rpm between 6-7. for the remaining 4-5 miles off street commute, there is lot of stop and go. Am suspecting that is killing my mileage.

But have been monitoring the mileage and distance between refills, initial reports suggest, mileage is improving.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
A fully broken in bike would get high 50s with that kind of riding.

I understand that your bike is new and still quite tight, but if you're getting 30s and 40s, you should have the shop check out the bike at the first tune up.

·
Registered
735 Posts
My GF's 400SK6 with about 3,500 miles is now getting 62mpg in stop-and-go driving with no freeways. It's been getting better and better since she bought it last October with 1,300 miles, but I can't tell you whether it's the engine breaking in, the weather warming up, or the government-gasohol s**t changing to summer blend.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I normally average between 60-65, no interstate, mainly city driving and some open 2 lane roads that have speed limits between 45 and 55.

·
Registered
137 Posts
As long as this is about fuel economy, do those running the stock rollers average better fuel economy than those with sliders? I have the 19 gram dps, and seem to be stuck on 53-54 mpg indicated, with a mix of suburban and highway use, but not exceeding 70 mph true as a rule. When I bought my scooter used, I put the sliders in before I had put 50 miles on it, so I really have no reference to go on. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
i have the 19 gram dos in mine and am getting on average over a few tanks 74 mpg. watch you rpms and make sure that they are woking.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Over the last 24 months, my 400 has averaged 54.1 mpg. In a varying mix favoring big city stop & go, some freeway, and a small amount 'country road' cruising, my best tank was 61 mpg, my worst 48.4. I think the only way I could ever hit 65+ mpg would be to cruise all day at 50-55 mph.

Over the same 24 months, my backroads (45-65 mph) long-distance touring 650 has averaged 50.1 mpg. Considering I'm 2-up with saddlebags - I'm quite happy with that.

One thing is clear, both stop & go, and high-speed freeway kill MPG.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts