Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

Average interstate speed (middle aged)

4K views 48 replies 26 participants last post by  Qwimby1 
#1 ·
According the reviews of many long time rider's ala (iron butt) (touring associations)and middle aged folks etc etc...The perfect speed on "ANY' motorbike for long distance interstate cruising is 65 mph.

This is what i do also, and find the bike extremely economical and happy.

#2 ·
The 400 loves it

My 400 loves doing 65 - 70 indicated. That seems to be the sweet spot that smooths everything out and feels like you could ride that way all day. I'm not a long time rider but I started in middle age, so I suppose that kinda counts.

Unfortunately, on the I-10 west of Phoenix, that speed leaves you sandwiched in with the semis. For anyone travelling at speeds less than 80MPH, the maximum one car-length following distance is strictly enforced by other motorists. The ones behind you tailgate and the ones in adjacent lanes move into any following distance you have established between you and the vehicle in front of you. At such times I tend to say heck with it, twist the throttle and get around the pack. Fortunately that's something the 400 is usually quite capable of.

#3 ·
Mostly I avoid Interstates and stick to the 2 lanes. Only time I will hit the Interstate is on a long trip if I just need to get there as soon as possible.

How fast I run depends on which bike I am on and which interstate. In Texas some of the Interstates have 75 mph speed limits and out in west Texas some are 80 mph.

If I am on the 400 I stick to about 65 as that seems to be it's sweet spot. That is unless I am on one of the faster speed limit roads then I kick it up to 70 or more if traffic is heavy.

On the 650 I just run what ever the speed limit is. It cruses at 80 as well as it does 65 or 70.

#5 ·
I have the tall 185/60 HR 14 Car tire on and at 72-73 MPH indacated I am doing about 74-75 MPH and keeping up with traffic in a 60 MPH zone. I would have no problem setting my speedo at 110 MPH for hours if I could. 65 MPH is just over a mile a minuet and 90 is a mile and a half in that same minuet. Humm, go 130 miles in two hours or 220 miles in two hours and save 1 hour 20 minuets..... I still get about 45 MPG at 110 MPH and 51 MPG at 65.

#6 ·
For me...62/63 MPH=6000 RPM is my 'comfort level'.
You wanna go faster...go ahead & go right around.

#7 · (Edited)
I, um, ride faster.

I don't like cars passing me. It's too passive hoping that cars will just see me and drive around. I don't like hoping cagers are not distracted, drunk, texting or otherwise incapacitated from doing their primary function at the moment. I ride as if I'm invisible. I have trained myself to be comfortable at any speed the bike is capable of attaining, so I can accomplish this.

I'm NOT saying I recklessly speed or anything, just that I have the capacity to ride comfortably at any speed the situation dictates to keep myself safe and out of the way of pending danger. I like riding in the "holes" between traffic buildups on the highway when possible.

I see them. I pass them. It's my decision, not theirs.

I think one does a disservice to themselves when not using, or at least having, every tool that is available. Speed and maneuverability are prime advantages of riding a bike. Why not use them in a safe and responsible manner when necessary?

#8 · (Edited)
That's very well said Liamjs. I suppose I was speaking of myself out here on the open Plaines where a man can cruise quite comfortably in his own pace without too much harassment. That being said ,I do understand what it's like riding in a bigger city, you always get pushed off the road, honked at and birded it if you don't run 80mph.

I cruise at 65 but I sometimes run up to 90 as maneuverability requires.

Back to my original topic: the big boy riders say that 65 mile-per-hour and 12 hours is less tiring than 80 mph and 10 hours... Canyon carvers fall short of cruisers on touring runs due to speed exhaustion.

#9 ·
I cruise at 65 but I sometimes run up to 90 as maneuverability requires.
I love cruising at 65 also, when given the chance.

I do agree that 65 is a huge sweet spot for both Burgmans. They just purr at that speed. Very little wind, even with the stock screens. Just a slight little hum from the engine. Life is good when one can do that.

Off topic...

I told my wife once that the Burgmans have such good wind protection, I can smell my farts at 60 mph. Lol. That's quite an accomplishment for a MC. :D

#10 ·
Back to my original topic: the big boy riders say that 65 mile-per-hour and 12 hours is less tiring than 80 mph and 10 hours... Canyon carvers fall short of cruisers on touring runs due to speed exhaustion.
You know, I haven't tested it, but I can see where that is true. Higher speeds translates to more punishment on the body from wind buffeting, bumpier riding and such. Over an extended period, it could prove more tiring than a longer ride. Save maybe the rear end.

#11 ·
Although I ride a Swing now, I too ride at 65....smoooooth

#14 ·
Dave J, isn't that a bit of comparing apples to oranges?

A '68 Shovel Head really is no comparison to any modern bike at any speed. You would need to compare the exact same bike at both 65 mph and at a higher speed to get a true comparison.

Just sayin'...

#15 · (Edited)
Chappy said the Big Boy riders, I take that as Harley riders and Canyon Carvers I take as sport bikers......

One group of low and slow vs a group of purched up with your knees behind your arm pits.

Oh, IMHO a 68 1200 is not too far removed from the 2000 EVO and up. Still 1930's Tractor tech.

#17 · (Edited)
If I go over 65 mph, oil starts to burn. I was cruising at 70 to 75 towards Mount Baker in a country road where the speed limit was 70 and when I got back home and check the oil level it was pretty low so I try not to go over 65 mph. I use fully synthetic oil with lube guard engine oil protectant and it's still burned oil. I can't imagine how much more oil it would've consumed if I did not use the best oil and oil additives. The thought of a seized engine at only 11,000 miles on the interstate does not appeal to me.

#18 ·
Because of the reason the early model 400s use oil at higher rpms I don't think it really matters whether you are using the most expensive super duper high tech oil or just standard grade oil. They don't use oil for the normal reasons engines burn oil. They suck it up through the crankcase breather system into the air filter housing. Your "fully synthetic oil with lube guard engine oil protectant" is not going to stop that.

#19 · (Edited)
All great replies...Sorry men i wasen't very clear with my statement...'Big boy', i mean't big tourer's goldwing's etc...It seems to be the consensus that a steady 65 mph down the interstate (a bit like granny in town from stop light to stop light who passes you every 30 seconds going a consistant speed) is a more relaxed mile eater than a sport bike going 80-90mph...

The human behind it gets tired quicker, as the brain has to process danger at a much higher speed...They push this at all motorcycle school's and classes and even road test's.

If you go 85mph for a 100 miles and stop for a quick break and readjust the brain to atmostpheric pressure, a 65 mph rider could pass you when you are shattered and bug eyed, and he's still cruising for another 200 miles.

Dave is probably an exception to the rules of average, being a drill instructor i'd imagine he was very fit and hard bodied, most of us arent like that! ha ha

#20 ·
I guess I am one of those that would rather take a 12 hour ride on a 45 mph hour road than 6 hours on a 90 mph one. No so 40-45 years ago when whatever the speed limit was I doubled it if I could. Geeeeeeeeze. How did I live though those times? Still got some old road rash scars and never to go away screws in some bones but now- ah, now! The pleasures of riding somewhere just for the riding. Getting home with you and your bike looking (except a bit more dirty) just like it did when you left.

You guys that want to drive fast, well, may God watch out for you as well as he did and is still doing for me. But if I am riding with someone that wants to hot dog and ride everywhere well over the limit I just tell them to go on ahead and I will catch up to them later.

And if later comes, fine. If not, fine. I'm taking my own sweet time now and by jingo, I deserve it.

The roses are a lot easier to smell at 30 mph than they are at 90.

#21 ·
I guess I am one of those that would rather take a 12 hour ride on a 45 mph hour road than 6 hours on a 90 mph one. No so 40-45 years ago when whatever the speed limit was I doubled it if I could. Geeeeeeeeze. How did I live though those times?

The roses are a lot easier to smell at 30 mph than they are at 90.
My experience exactly. I still have shivers from 40 years ago of riding off that 10 foot embankment at 80 mph. Landing in mud was probably the only thing that saved me.

Now, like you, I'm a Slowby and happy, and proud of it!!

John

#22 ·
On my Bmw's (k75 & r1100) I could cruise at 80 all day long. For both, the sweet spot seemed to be btwn 3.2 & 3.5 K- RPM's. On my 400 (with 18g sliders) it's more like 70 and I tend to keep it between 5.5 & 6 k-RPM's. On the slabs I usually monitor my RPM's and only rarely glance at the speedo.

#23 ·
Well I know that I can cruse on my 650 at 85 MPH for a full tank of gas +, visit with my father for a few hours and return home, round trip of over 500 miles in a day and not feel like I went a few rounds in boxing ring. But if I tried that same trip, BENT OVER at any speed, on my sons 500 Ninja I would be beat just getting there. I think its more due to riding position and not speed causing fatuge.

And Chappy, I retired over 20 years ago. I was a DI back in the late 80's. I could run my 2 mile PT test in under 12 minuets, do 100 pushups and 100 setups in the two minuet time. I ran 6 miles every day but Sunday and marched troops up to 8 miles every day too. Nope, not today for sure.

#24 ·
This is a great thread. I too prefer riding under 60 mph these days. The 1996 Harley Roadking I just sold was happy, happy at about 60-70. After only 1,500 miles on my 2006 Burgman 650 it seems the sweet spot is at 55-60 mph. On interstates in Pennsylvania, that means I'm always being passed - not good. I expected when I bought the Burgman that I would be riding mostly on two lane roads 45 - 55. It's nice to know that the 650's and even the 400's are capable and comfortable at much higher interstate speeds.

#27 · (Edited)
How dare you sir! You shame me with such talk. My fanny and farts only rest upon my Burgmans! :D lol.

I rode my buddy's HD home once after he bought it as he had no idea how to operate a bike. He was Looking to be cool I guess. When we got there, he asked how it rode. I replied that I needed dental work, pretty sure a filling came loose from the vibration. Lol.

Sorry HD riders. Just not my cup of tea.

#28 ·
I ride 70mph all the time when I can on the longer runs. The 400 is sweet at those speeds. I stop only for fuel and a stretch of the legs at the same time. I can cover 3-400 miles easy at that speed. I'm no youngster and find the bike very comfortable. My 400 just doesn't like to linger at 60mph, it just seems to want to go faster all the time.

#29 ·
if I am on an 'interstate' it would indicate I am on a mission to achieve the destination, so here in the UK my target speed would be 77mph (GPS indicated) as the speed limit is 70mph. However it is very difficult in the UK to maintain a steady speed for any significant period of time. The traffic density is just too high, roadworks and lower speed limits common and sometimes it all comes to a halt and then you are lane splitting - sometimes for miles. Even when the traffic is free flowing the need to maintain my 'safety bubble' will see me altering speed and lanes to clear the arcs.

I always use and prefer secondary roads when the mission is the journey rather than the destination. I then ride at a speed that fits the road and am not bothered if that is 60mph or 6mph.:)

#30 ·
if I am on an 'interstate' it would indicate I am on a mission to achieve the destination, so here in the UK my target speed would be 77mph (GPS indicated) as the speed limit is 70mph. )
In most of the world, a speed limit is the maximum speed a vehicle is allowed to travel. California drivers think of it as more of an average. So its okay to do 90 occasionally to make up for the time you spent doing 10 during rush hour. :D

#32 · (Edited)
My comment was just a joke I heard many years ago, but, nevertheless true.

Here in the states, particularly California, we have very few radar ticketing cameras and intersections. In fact, Los Angeles took out the few that it did have due to problems with the system and its costs.

From the reports I've read, it seems England in particular and Europe in general, has quite a few of these ticketing devices. Seems a bit big brother-ish. I don't know if we'd put up with it here. We're heavily armed and have been know to shoot them.

We have people up in arms here upset over just license plate data collection. Constitutes an illegal search and violates privacy laws they say.

Just curious how all you on the other side of the pond cope with it.

#33 ·
I avoid the Interstate whenever possible. Yes, the Burgman will go 100 mph and yes, I've had it over that, but so what? I ride my bike to enjoy the experience. I simply don't enjoy riding that fast. The wind noise, the buffeting, the greater effort needed to maintain situational awareness — all contribute to fatigue. If I was in that much of a hurry, I would be flying or driving a car.

We cruise between 55 and 65mph, normally on secondary highways or forestry service roads. On average, we cover 250 miles in a day. We try to stop every hour to rehydrate and refocus, have a bite to eat, or to take photos. We ride between 08:00 and 20:00 to avoid animals crossing the road, since wherever we ride, there are deer. We can go for ten or twelve hours without getting seriously tired. In the early days, before we knew better, we would "push it", trying to make distance. We didn't wear ear plugs or stop often enough, and we would end up cranky and exhausted after five or six or eight hours — no fun at all.

We just returned from a tour through the US, through Montana, Idaho, Oregon and Washington. The only time we were tempted to go fast was on US97, south from Bend, Oregon. That is positively, absolutely THE most boring road in Oregon, so there was the temptation to get it over with quickly. It was also the ONLY stretch of road where we saw police — one sheriff and two state troopers — over the entire 3200 miles of our trip. Maybe they know something we don't...

Anyway, if I wanted to go 90mph on a bike, I would have a Ninja or Hayabusa, not a Burgman. I would also be on a track.

Regards
Scott Fraser

#34 ·
If I am going solo (not 2 up) and via the interstate, I ride my V-Strom. I like the softer suspension and that I have set the body ergo's up for me. I am super comfy on that bike. I tend to ride it at 70-80 mph and want to move a little faster than traffic on the interstate. Like another poster said, I try to get in between the bunches of traffic and stay there, a lot safer.

If I take the Burgman 650, I use the same strategy as I do on the V-Strom. I just get tired faster as the suspension on the Burgman is no where as good as I have on my V-Strom. I have been watching some of you who are putting different shocks on the Burgmans with great interest. I may do this to mine sometime in the future in an attempt to get a better ride out of it.

Doug from Kentucky

#36 ·
My interstate riding is on the Northeast corridor where the rule of thumb is go as fast as possiblle .. at 65.. I might get run over.. I pretty much set my throttle lock at about 80.. so really 72 MPH.. runs easily at that cruising speed..

#38 · (Edited)
In my above post it may seen that I DO run at 100+ MPH all the time. NO! I keep with or just ahead of the flow of traffic (60-70 MPH) but when out on the superslab way away from the city I do from 75 to 85 MPH STEADY. My darkside tire makes my speedo almost exact so when it says 85 I am doing about 87 so I keep it below 85.

If the government has brain washed you back in the 70's-80's with the 85 MPH speedos I can see that you feel ANXIOUS above 65 MPH. Just keep out of the way please. :twisted: All gauges have a "normal" range that is bracketed a few degrees from left and right of center. So your brain thinks any thing more that a few degrees is "ABNORMAL" and you must comply. The 85 MPH speedo had 45 MPH at top center with 55 MPH a bit right of center and 85 MPH was WAY OVER on the right and your brain thought you were so bad even thinking about going there. My 84 Shelby Charger would bury the 85 MPH speedo in 3rg gear and continue up past 0 to 15 MPH again, about 130 MPH... . I lived in Germany for a lot of those stupid 55 MPH years, thank the grand maker.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.