Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
23,299 Posts
Many have added a covered water resistant USB plug in the dash area. I am sure Wspollock will post his setups.

This one is 2 USB 3.0, 1 USB C and a Volt meter.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
I added a Garmin Zumo 396 LMT-S which came with everything to wire to the bike on my 400 but for the life of me I can't remember what I wired it to. It's been a while. It is switched on when the ignition is on.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Found it in the archived threads.

Reactions: DarisPakar

·
Premium Member
15,163 Posts
Not gonna comment until I know what model and year of the Burgman in question, and whether @NW 10-10 wants the port on the outside, in a cubby, etc. (although it looks like the outside, regarding a GPS).

• Haha
Reactions: Dave_J

·
Registered
74 Posts
Not to steer off subject but is there a cigarette lighter adapter that has a usb port that will fit in the original lighter plug and allow you to shut the glove box door?

I would like to use my old Garmin on my scooter but have not had any luck finding an adapter that would be male cigarette lighter on one end with a female socket on the other end and allow you to close the door.

·
Premium Member
18,844 Posts
yep there is i got one on my 650, bought it at the dollar general about 3 years ago

·
Administrator
23,299 Posts
Not to steer off subject but is there a cigarette lighter adapter that has a usb port that will fit in the original lighter plug and allow you to shut the glove box door?

I would like to use my old Garmin on my scooter but have not had any luck finding an adapter that would be male cigarette lighter on one end with a female socket on the other end and allow you to close the door.
Scott, what year and model do you have? MikeyM's is a 2015 Burgman 650. The early 650's had the power port at a different angle and a standard Cig lighter plug will not fit with the door closed. See pictures below.

yep there is i got one on my 650, bought it at the dollar general about 3 years ago
Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design Bicycle part
Material property Automotive design Automotive wheel system Font Gas

• Helpful
Reactions: mikeyMarine

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have a 2011 Burgman 400. I was going to use a Garmin that's at least 7years old with a cigarette lighter plug on the end of it. I do not have a modern cell phone or I would use that instead.

·
Registered
2006 Burgman 400 - Silver - 8600 miles - and climbing !
200 Posts
Many have added a covered water resistant USB plug in the dash area. I am sure Wspollock will post his setups.

This one is 2 USB 3.0, 1 USB C and a Volt meter.

[/URL]
Great idea...love that you'll have digital battery display + 2 USB charge ports.

Can you say where there's dash room for it ?
I looked but dash has limited room at least my 2006 400 has.

Did he do a write up ?

Also wire direct to battery will be simple BUT risk of discharged starting battery lol.

Thx David

·
Premium Member
15,163 Posts
Great idea...love that you'll have digital battery display + 2 USB charge ports.

Can you say where there's dash room for it ?
I looked but dash has limited room at least my 2006 400 has.

Did he do a write up ?

Also wire direct to battery will be simple BUT risk of discharged starting battery lol.

Thx David
I'm going to do a 650-relevant (sorry, re your 400) write-up in a bit -- and the OP, @NW 10-10, hasn't responded to our responses to his original post (so we still have no idea what size Burger he or she has).

In the meantime:

==> Don't install a USB port such that it will be active all the time. There was a lengthy discussion about this on a Victory forum (I owned one -- a Victory, not a forum, from 2012 - 2017). The bottom line is that the transformer electronics of a USB port -- with nothing plugged in! -- will run down most bike batteries, unless perhaps you ride it every day.

If you go on 3BR Powersports page www.3brpowersports.com/products.php and click on the "Click here for more Product Info & Details" button for the $44.95 Panel TAPP, you'll download a two-page PDF file. In there, 3BR has this to say:

TAPP quiescent current (power consumption with no load) will drain a small motorcycle battery in as little as three to five days if connected directly to the battery. It is recommended that TAPP be connected to a switched power source to prevent battery drain when the vehicle is not running. A Posi-Tap™ tap connector supplied in the installation kit makes a robust connection to the vehicle electrical system quick and easy.

This is from a vendor, product producer, not me. Enough said?

Now, if a USB port (with or without a voltage meter) is plugged into a socket that is hot only when the bike's on -- such as the cigarette-lighter-style socket in a 650, and I presume a 400 -- then this isn't an issue, of course.

==> Speaking of voltage meters:

This is what I initially put on my '07 Exec, but removed it not long afterward, when I discovered it wasn't rainproof:
Camera accessory Car Vehicle Automotive design Cameras & optics

This is what I replaced it with (and that was fine, both rainproof and sufficiently useful):
Car Automotive design Personal luxury car Auto part Mid-size car

This is what I installed, about half a dozen years later, on my '08 Exec:
Camera accessory Camera lens Automotive design Personal luxury car Cameras & optics

It's that single circle, way over on the right. It's a SparkBright Eclipse:

This is the same thing as the Kuryakyn multi-LED meter (middle pic), except instead of multiple single-color LEDs, it has a single multi-color-capable LED. This provides sufficient info, IMO, just as the Kury meter let me know that -- at idle, and with a heated liner on max, and my Motolights on -- I was running a charging deficit, i.e., you don't really need to know the tenth of a volt, IMO.

I ran the Eclipse for several years, no problems, would do it again, etc. (Except on my new C 400 GT scoot, the voltage is displayed on several of the screens available on its TFT screen display, so I don't need to add a meter to that new bike.) If you can't find room for one LED, I think you're not trying hard enough.

And of course hook this up to a switched power supply.

• Helpful
Reactions: mikeyMarine

·
Registered
960 Posts
This is what I did for my 2009 and 2012 650s:
Plugged a 12v splitter into the glovebox outlet, providing two new 12v outlets plus 2 USB ports. Placed this in the right, back section of the glovebox.
Removed the top cover (after removing the handlebar covers...all quite easy, actually), and drilled a 1/2" hole in the right, rear-most portion of the top of the glove box.
Inserted a rubber grommet in the hole to cover the rough edges.
Plugged in my various power cords (Garmin, phone, heated grips) into the splitter and ran all the cables through that hole, routing them to wherever they're needed.
Put everything back together, making sure not to pinch the cables in the process.
Voila! I have three cables exiting from just beneath the instrument panel, and the power to all ceases when the key is removed. No dead batteries, and no visible sign of the modifications.

Reactions: NW 10-10

·
Premium Member
15,163 Posts
Lots of great stuff here! Thanks !
oh it’s a 2007 Burgman 650 executive
Ok, now that we know the bike, we can be more helpful.

Now, returning to your original post, your original question:

Any tips on adding plug-in to charge cell phone or GPS? TIA

I'd like to know whether you just want to keep your phone charged, in non-use mode (say, the way I charge my phone overnight), or whether you want to keep it charged while using it as a GPS, for instance.

Charging a Phone in the Glovebox:

If you just want to keep a phone charged in the glovebox, you can use some sort of splitter, as @dogboy noted in post 14, and maybe put a cig-to-USB adapter on the end of a splitter. The splitter will circumvent the problem that there may not be enough room between the stock cig outlet and the glovebox door.

I am not very familiar with this sort of thing, as I generally prefer outside outlets, so I will leave that discussion to @dogboy and others.

Incidentally, my new C 400 GT BMW scooter has left and right cubbies, similar to the 650 Burgers. Inside the right cubby, it has a BMW/DIN/Powerlet style outlet, and two USB-A outlets. Further, that cubby has a rubbery mat on the bottom, to ameliorate vibration. So, BMW has this sort of thing covered, if anyone's looking to buy one of these scoots.

Running a Phone or GPS Using an Outside Cig-Style Outlet:

As you may have noticed from earlier pics, on both of my Execs over the years I've added outside cig-style outlets. I used Marinco outlets, and was satisfied with their performance (obviously, or I wouldn't have two of them), but there are many similar devices from other companies. You can get one at Amazon, West Marine, etc., e.g.:

On the '07 Exec:
Car Automotive design Personal luxury car Auto part Mid-size car

On the '08 Exec:
Camera accessory Camera lens Automotive design Personal luxury car Cameras & optics

My '12 Victory bagger already came with this sort of setup, from the factory, in the outside dash; see the very lower left corner:
Speedometer Odometer Motor vehicle Vehicle Gauge

You can plug in a GPS, for instance, as a lot of GPS devices -- at least the old cheap ones that I have, e.g., Garmin Nuvis -- have a cig plug, with built-in circuitry to lower the volts to whatever the GPS needs.

Or, you can plug in a device -- phone or maybe modern GPS -- that has a USB cord, by sticking a cig-to-USB adapter in an outside cig socket.

If you use a phone as a GPS, it is indeed advantageous to have it powered while doing so, because the GPS chip is a big current draw in phones. Also, you'll likely have the screen set to max brightness, and that is another big current draw. So without being hooked up, a phone's internal battery may not last long enough for moto GPS needs -- certainly not all day.

Power to an Outside Socket:

If you're only going to be using a socket for light duty, such as powering a phone or dedicated GPS, you can get power for an external outlet by tapping the factory leads for the OEM cig outlet, for example.

If you might want to use that outlet to power heated gear, or to run a tire air compressor, then we're talking 10 or 15 amps, i.e., big-time current. While the factory Big Burger outlet is, as I recall, fused at something big -- is it 15 or 20 amps? -- those stock wires are really too small, IMO, for that sort of work.

You could always hook up an outlet like that directly to the battery -- making sure, of course, to fuse the hot side. But that means the outlet is hot all the time; that's a good thing, if you want to hook up a smart-charger, for instance, to keep the battery topped off while not riding, but it's a bad thing for the battery if you have other devices plugged in and forget to turn them off or unplug them when you shut down the bike.

For potential big-draw use you might want to look into a fuse panel of some sort. That way, you can have circuits that are both beefy and that are triggered on only when the bike's on. If you're unfamiliar with fuse panels, you can do a search on them on the forum. For openers, you can find a discussion of them within the threads www.burgmanusa.com/threads/replacing-oem-horn.167073/ and www.burgmanusa.com/threads/mccruise.177693/ .

On several of my bikes over the years, I've had both cig outlets that were relay-triggered and Powerlet outlets that were directly connected (fused) to the battery. The former would be sort of all-purpose, and the latter would be for smart-charging and heated gear (which is hard to forget you've plugged in, when you step off a bike that you've stopped riding).

Adding an Outside USB Port:

If you want to add an outside USB port itself -- that is, you don't want to use an adapter in a cig socket -- I recommend the 3BR Powersports Panel TAPP. I've done this on my last two bikes, the '08 Exec and my new C 400 GT.

You can see that port (with rectangular cover), in the middle pic above. Here's a pic of it on the Beemer:
Motor vehicle Vehicle Car seat cover Personal luxury car Automotive design

I have a fairly detailed description of this addition in my C 400 GT gallery, starting with this pic and caption:

Here's 3BR's Panel TAPP page:

To my knowledge, this is the only rainproof USB setup for bikes. I use this to power a GoPro, as I record all my rides; I may want to save the highlights of tours and day trips, and even if I don't it functions as a (forward-facing) dash cam.

In addition to that outlet, the Panel TAPP purchase also includes a TAPP CAPP. This is a matching rectangular female cover; included is some silicone sticks-to-itself stretchy tape to wrap around the downstream end. Here's a pic of that:
Motor vehicle Car seat cover Automotive design Personal luxury car Fixture

There are ways to have the connection to the GoPro camera itself -- i.e., the other end of the cord -- remain rainproof, but I won't get into that here, as I don't think there's much interest. If, instead of a GoPro, you're mounting a GPS or a phone and want a rainproof setup, well, folks often employ a sandwich baggie sort of thing put over a phone in the rain. There are also dedicated soft cases that are rainproof. I'm not aware of any hard phone cases that are both rainproof and allow a phone to be externally powered, but there might be some.

Mounting Some Phone:

Moving on. If you're interested, about five years ago I reviewed some phone mounts in a webBikeWorld article. If you're not too familiar with this topic, you might find it helpful:

That article references some RAM mount products. RAM is the 600-lb. gorilla is the mounting field, and if you're not familiar with their products, this companion article I wrote around the same time for wBW might be useful to you:

Mounting an iPhone:

If, like me, you have a non-ancient iPhone, you might want to be careful about how you mount it, given how expensive they are, and given what Apple noted a year ago. See:

Given that, if I were buying a mount today, I'd get a Quad Lock case and its "vibration dampener." See:

As it is, I already owned (among other phone mounts) a Hondo Garage Perfect Squeeze, so last year I added their "vibration isolator." See:

I think that pretty much covers what I think I know about this topic.

Attachments

Reactions: Dave_J

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

I'd like to know whether you just want to keep your phone charged, in non-use mode (say, the way I charge my phone overnight), or whether you want to keep it charged while using it as a GPS, for instance.

If you just want to keep a phone charged in the glovebox, you can use some sort of splitter, as @dogboy noted in post 14, and maybe put a cig-to-USB adapter on the end of a splitter. The splitter will circumvent the problem that there may not be enough room between the stock cig outlet and the glovebox door.

I am not very familiar with this sort of thing, as I generally prefer outside outlets, so I will leave that discussion to @dogboy and others.

Incidentally, my new C 400 GT BMW scooter has left and right cubbies, similar to the 650 Burgers. Inside the right cubby, it has a BMW/DIN/Powerlet style outlet, and two USB-A outlets. Further, that cubby has a rubbery mat on the bottom, to ameliorate vibration. So, BMW has this sort of thing covered, if anyone's looking to buy one of these scoots.

As you may have noticed from earlier pics, on both of my Execs over the years I've added outside cig-style outlets. I used Marinco outlets, and was satisfied with their performance (obviously, or I wouldn't have two of them), but there are many similar devices from other companies. You can get one at Amazon, West Marine, etc., e.g.:

On the '07 Exec:
View attachment 100104

On the '08 Exec:
View attachment 100105

My '12 Victory bagger already came with this sort of setup, from the factory, in the outside dash; see the very lower left corner:
View attachment 100106

You can plug in a GPS, for instance, as a lot of GPS devices -- at least the old cheap ones that I have, e.g., Garmin Nuvis -- have a cig plug, with built-in circuitry to lower the volts to whatever the GPS needs.

Or, you can plug in a device -- phone or maybe modern GPS -- that has a USB cord, by sticking a cig-to-USB adapter in an outside cig socket.

If you use a phone as a GPS, it is indeed advantageous to have it powered while doing so, because the GPS chip is a big current draw in phones. Also, you'll likely have the screen set to max brightness, and that is another big current draw. So without being hooked up, a phone's internal battery may not last long enough for moto GPS needs -- certainly not all day.

If you're only going to be using a socket for light duty, such as powering a phone or dedicated GPS, you can get power for an external outlet by tapping the factory leads for the OEM cig outlet, for example.

If you might want to use that outlet to power heated gear, or to run a tire air compressor, then we're talking 10 or 15 amps, i.e., big-time current. While the factory Big Burger outlet is, as I recall, fused at something big -- is it 15 or 20 amps? -- those stock wires are really too small, IMO, for that sort of work.

You could always hook up an outlet like that directly to the battery -- making sure, of course, to fuse the hot side. But that means the outlet is hot all the time; that's a good thing, if you want to hook up a smart-charger, for instance, to keep the battery topped off while not riding, but it's a bad thing for the battery if you have other devices plugged in and forget to turn them off or unplug them when you shut down the bike.

For potential big-draw use you might want to look into a fuse panel of some sort. That way, you can have circuits that are both beefy and that are triggered on only when the bike's on. If you're unfamiliar with fuse panels, you can do a search on them on the forum. For openers, you can find a discussion of them within the threads www.burgmanusa.com/threads/replacing-oem-horn.167073/ and www.burgmanusa.com/threads/mccruise.177693/ .

On several of my bikes over the years, I've had both cig outlets that were relay-triggered and Powerlet outlets that were directly connected (fused) to the battery. The former would be sort of all-purpose, and the latter would be for smart-charging and heated gear (which is hard to forget you've plugged in, when you step off a bike that you've stopped riding).

If you want to add an outside USB port itself -- that is, you don't want to use an adapter in a cig socket -- I recommend the 3BR Powersports Panel TAPP. I've done this on my last two bikes, the '08 Exec and my new C 400 GT.

You can see that port (with rectangular cover), in the middle pic above. Here's a pic of it on the Beemer:
View attachment 100107

I have a fairly detailed description of this addition in my C 400 GT gallery, starting with this pic and caption:

To my knowledge, this is the only rainproof USB setup for bikes. I use this to power a GoPro, as I record all my rides; I may want to save the highlights of tours and day trips, and even if I don't it functions as a (forward-facing) dash cam.

In addition to that outlet, the Panel TAPP purchase also includes a TAPP CAPP. This is a matching rectangular female cover; included is some silicone sticks-to-itself stretchy tape to wrap around the downstream end. Here's a pic of that:
View attachment 100110

There are ways to have the connection to the GoPro camera itself -- i.e., the other end of the cord -- remain rainproof, but I won't get into that here, as I don't think there's much interest. If, instead of a GoPro, you're mounting a GPS or a phone and want a rainproof setup, well, folks often employ a sandwich baggie sort of thing put over a phone in the rain. There are also dedicated soft cases that are rainproof. I'm not aware of any hard phone cases that are both rainproof and allow a phone to be externally powered, but there might be some.

Mounting Some Phone:

Moving on. If you're interested, about five years ago I reviewed some phone mounts in a webBikeWorld article. If you're not too familiar with this topic, you might find it helpful:

That article references some RAM mount products. RAM is the 600-lb. gorilla is the mounting field, and if you're not familiar with their products, this companion article I wrote around the same time for wBW might be useful to you:

Mounting an iPhone:

If, like me, you have a non-ancient iPhone, you might want to be careful about how you mount it, given how expensive they are, and given what Apple noted a year ago. See:

Given that, if I were buying a mount today, I'd get a Quad Lock case and its "vibration dampener." See:

As it is, I already owned (among other phone mounts) a Hondo Garage Perfect Squeeze, so last year I added their "vibration isolator." See:

On the '07 Exec:
View attachment 100104

On the '08 Exec:
View attachment 100105

View attachment 100106

View attachment 100107

View attachment 100110

Mounting Some Phone:

Mounting an iPhone:

Wow! Thanks a lot! Lots of good information and links!

·
Registered
960 Posts
Here is the splitter that will plug into the 650's 12v outlet without interfering with the door closure: Bestek 150W 2-Socket Cigarette Lighter Splitter Power Adapter.

Here is what the cables look like coming from beneath the handlebar covers.
Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive mirror

Entire installation was brainless, inexpensive, robust, and easy to move from one 650 to another (as I did.)

JD

1 - 17 of 17 Posts