Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2008 AN400
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you wanted to carry an extra 3 or 5L of petrol / gasoline in a jerry can, and another 3 or 5L of water, on your Burgman, fully loaded on a long trip - where and how would you carry them?

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
If you wanted to carry an extra 3 or 5L of petrol / gasoline in a jerry can, and another 3 or 5L of water, on your Burgman, fully loaded on a long trip - where and how would you carry them?
I saw you asked about orientation of cans. I believe the cap should be to the top. Also, don't overfill, especially the fuel one.
Some may think this is over-egging it, but your journey is a long one, and not all smooth going. So...
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

Edited to suit comment at post #12.

·
Registered
2008 AN400
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, just like that, thanks :cool:

Though I'd face the filler towards the rear. Actually, it prolly makes no difference LOL

The plastic ones do swell when they heat up, like balloons, so releasing pressure is good advice. I've had good results just placing a square cut out from a plastic bag onto the filler before screwing on the cap - helps seal it very well.

What are your thoughts about strapping one down between the knees?

·
Super Moderator
6,044 Posts
I like to keep the leg room as free as possible on long journeys so that I can alter my leg position regularly.

I did have a tunnel bag in previous scooters but on the B400 it blocked the fuel filler flap - which got annoying very quickIy. I think that would limit the useable space.
If anything I’d use that for quick access stuff - snacks, drink map.

There is an exhaust vent right under the nose of the seat so be careful about blocking that and trapping heat under the seat.

·
Administrator
23,637 Posts
You can get those 5l cans in Red for gasoline, Yellow for diesel and Blue or White for water.
Rotopak is one of the best with the center turn lock and you can stack them too.

·
Administrator
23,637 Posts
I have two each 1.5L BSR fuel bottles but have found that the 'Primus' brand are 1/3 the price. There are bottle carriers that strap to other stuff.

Like these from Ebay seller in Kretinga, Lithuania. Shop around for a better price and shipping.

Carriers:

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
I might entertain the idea of carrying sealed 1qt bottles of TruFuel. Each bottle would get you about 12 miles based on my 48 mpg on my 2009 AN650. I would never refill nor would I reload the bottles
Font Electronic device Machine Advertising Audio equipment
zee(put back on board bike) a can that I opened and not used all. Easy to find room for, stand up, bag them, lay down tight no roll. No nag about cost, emergency use only.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have some serious concerns about putting a plastic jerrycan on the exhaust side. That thing gets VERY hot. I have my boxes about 10in above the exhaust and the right one still heats up. Given we're talking about expansion and flammable vapours I would say maybe think of a different positioning of that jerrycan - or any other fuel container for that matter. Left side at least, top case or pillion seat if riding solo. Anything but that position in the photo...

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I have some serious concerns about putting a plastic jerrycan on the exhaust side.
So do I.
OP is aware, and if he proceeds, will place fuel on left side, and water on right, Was discussed earlier, Post #5.
As the saying goes - "for illustrative purposes only"

I have now edited offending illustration.

·
Registered
24 Posts
OP is aware,
Then perhaps it's a good idea to install NON-interchangeable mounts, to make sure one side doesn't fit the other.

Now why would I want a can of water installed on the bike is another topic, I'd much rather use a Camelbak if I really wanted to go that way. (Although I discovered that shoving two water bottles in the glove box is a quite practical way of staying hydrated. :D )

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I would say maybe think of a different positioning of that jerrycan - or any other fuel container for that matter. Left side at least, top case or pillion seat if riding solo. Anything but that position in the photo...
People have travelled hundreds of thousands of miles with these 'cans, using my other favourite bike. Note the spare fuel, for in this case both are fuel, is mounted directly over the exhaust header. o_O

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

Then perhaps it's a good idea to install NON-interchangeable mounts, to make sure one side doesn't fit the other.
NON-interchangeable mounts must equal differing 'cans each side. (Sounds a touch extreme to me). Suggest take that up with OP.

·
Administrator
23,637 Posts
Do they still make “Jerry cans”. I thought the only thing available now was gasoline cans? 🤔
Steel 5 gal Jerry Can. $74 USD

$10 in steel for a $69 Jerry can rack

Reactions: prossett

·
Registered
2008 AN400
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I have some serious concerns about putting a plastic jerrycan on the exhaust side. That thing gets VERY hot.
Yes, that's a good point, and much better to put the extra fuel on the left side, where there is no exhaust.

The temperature at which petrol self-ignites is around 250c, and that's the passenger floorboard, where even fancy high heel shoes rest without melting ;) and so the issue isn't so much the heat as the potential for sparks if the bike is dropped at speed. A nasty combination if paired with a cracked plastic petrol container!

Perhaps then we should favor a metal jerry can on the side of a bike, rather than plastic. That should hold up to bring scraped along tarmac, as well as withstanding the initial impact better. Though, the newer, triple plastic ones do seem very butch.

Interesting discussion - in general would you consider top of rear rack as safer than side, on a Burgman?

·
Premium Member
19,084 Posts

Now why would I want a can of water installed on the bike is another topic, I'd much rather use a Camelbak if I really wanted to go that way. (Although I discovered that shoving two water bottles in the glove box is a quite practical way of staying hydrated. :D )
bikes need water sometimes too, hot water plus low humidity and extended riding can lower/ empty an overflow bottle

·
Premium Member
2,547 Posts
I'd strap a gallon gas can to left side passenger footboard somehow.
More important to me is, how to carry a water bottle or large take-out iced tea cup conveniently. Might look at a console caddy over the gas door (AN400)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts