Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've been looking at this cruise control. I have the manual for it, and it looks like a pretty straight forward installation. Since I'm at 4300 miles, it's time to tear the bike apart anyways for some maintenance. I might as well do something productive while I'm in there.

One question though. The manual states I have to know the Pulses Per Mile off of the speed sensor... But then never mentions it again.

Does anyone know what the PPM from our speed sensor is? I can't find anything in the bikes service manual, which doesn't mean it's not in there, I just can't find it.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
I can only suggest you contact Suzuki technical direct for that.

You could derive it from first principles but I fear it would be both tedious and prone to error unless you have a memory scope.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Hey Rob,

Some pictures and a walkthru of the installation would be greatly appreciated. :wink:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
NormanB said:
I can only suggest you contact Suzuki technical direct for that.

You could derive it from first principles but I fear it would be both tedious and prone to error unless you have a memory scope.
Suzuki has a technical place I can contact?? :shock:

I was thinking about hooking up my o'scope with a really long extension cord and take off down the freeway to see what the pulses are. 8)

The bizarre thing about all this is the installation manual says I need this information, but doesn't tell me what I need to do with that information. Maybe I'll just hook it up and see what happens.... As long as I remember that red cutout switch is at my right thumb, I should be ok. :?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, I re-read the manual. I skipped right over the jumper setting table last time. That's where I put in the PPM. I only have a choice of 2000, 3000, 5000, or 8000 ppm. So if I push the 'set' button and I lose or gain speed, I'm gonna guess I set the dip switches wrong.

I'm going to run down to Pep Boys tomorrow and see if they have one in stock and what price it is before I order from JC Whitney.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Looking forward to hearing how it goes. I really want one for my B400.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I went to Pep Boys, Autozone, and even Walmart today. Nothin.

Pepboys online has it for $180ish. :shock:

So I guess I'll be mail ordering it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, I've ordered it, and it's suppose to ship Monday and be here by Next Friday. Hopefully the mail moves faster than that.

Here's the details of my order.

I ordered from http://www.partsamerica.com

At the top left is a search box. Enter "ccs100" no quotes.

The price is $97.99

However, I did some searching and found an eCoupon to use there.

Enter "reward" (no quotes) in the eCoupon box. You'll get $5.00 off.

Shipping was $6.33, so the total price when all was said and done was $99.32. Which was my goal to find it under $100

So now we wait...

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Much better price than from JC Whitney. Thanks for the tip Rob.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Found it for $89.95 at http://www.summitracing.com

Summit Part# avx-ccs-100

Although it says that special handling procedures are required and must be ordered by phone. (Sounds like a long wait drop-ship to me.) But it's another alternative. Never heard of Summit myself, so I went with partsamerica as they have stores all over the place.

Anybody else as excited as I am?? My first real mod, and it's got wires and tubes and switches and things! Checked the status today, and it's now "In Transit" :D :D :D :D :D :D

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Look forward to the pics and how to! :D :wink:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
NormanB said:
Look forward to the pics and how to! :D :wink:
Me too!!! Who's gonna write it??? I need something to follow!! :D :D

Been thinkin about this... I need to make a vacuum cannister of some sorts. I can order one, or make one out of PVC pipe. My other thought, and I can't remember if I read this somewhere or dreamed about it, but it is to use an inline fuel filter as a vacuum reserve. I know some of these are rather small, but the older ones are pretty hefty and have a check valve in them.

I do need a check valve no matter how I make it.

Maybe I'll go to the auto store tomorrow. I love going in there asking them for stuff that they can't look up in their computer. "Year, Model, Make of car?"

HA!! Car?? Hell kid, I'm not even gonna use the fuel filter for fuel! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Is the vacuum bottle required to install the cruise on the Burgman? If so, I'd probably opt for buying one since they're only about $10.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The vacuum bottle is required, unless one wants an extremely jerky ride. I'd order it from JC W., but they drop ship it and it'll take forever to get here. I still need to go look at the fuel filters, but I have scrap pvc pipe and what-nots layin' around the house if I want to build one.

-----

Drove up the driveway this afternoon, saw a box sitting on the porch and got all excited that the cruise control arrived!!

...alas, just a box of clothes for my son from my in-law. It should be against the law for someone to ship me a box while I'm waiting for another box.

Maybe tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Hey Kias

I had a phone from Suzuki UK 'Technical' yesterday - I had lodged the query with them at the same time as I posted advice for you to do the same. I thought I would 'test the system'. It was a near impenetrable system, when I had listened to yukky that - more muzak -then timed out, put through to dead ends - left messages on ansaphones - but eventually got a result. :) A lady left a message to say although she worked in techical she did not understand a thing I had said :cry: (nobody ever does) :wink: - anyway she gave me two names and two phone numbers - phoned them both - no answer but left a message on each. :)

The response:

Yip we know what you need but we do not know the answer. The best we can suggest is to do the test in the manual (for testing the speed sensor I assume) count the pulses for one revolution of the wheel, work out the rolling circumference and then calculate how many turns for a mile x the pulses in one revolution. Simple really. :)

Kias I think your idea was best - but while you are waiting for the part why not give it a go? Go on I am curious. :wink:

Sorry I did not get back yesterday - busy day (as you will have noticed by the drop in my posting rate)! :)

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Rob,

have you looked at tapping into the digital speedo yet? How hard is it going to be to get to the signal and is the sending unit an active (hall effect) type device? Since my bike is the 400 rather than the 650, I guess I'd have to add some type of passive sensing system to add the same cruise unit.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
NormanB said:
count the pulses for one revolution of the wheel, work out the rolling circumference and then calculate how many turns for a mile x the pulses in one revolution. Simple really. :)

Kias I think your idea was best - but while you are waiting for the part why not give it a go? Go on I am curious. :wink:
This was the first thought I had, but when I found out there's only 4 settings on the cruise control, I'm basically lazy. :)

The other thought was to figure out the ratio between the gears and the tire... Find out how many teeth are on those gears, there's my answer x a mile. However, when I found out there's only 4 settings on the cruise control...

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
billmeek said:
Rob,

have you looked at tapping into the digital speedo yet? How hard is it going to be to get to the signal and is the sending unit an active (hall effect) type device? Since my bike is the 400 rather than the 650, I guess I'd have to add some type of passive sensing system to add the same cruise unit.
It appears the sensor is reading the teeth on one of the gears in the final drive. I have not physically confirmed this though. The book says to test it, remove it and touch a screwdriver to it... If voltage, good, if not, bad.

Sounds like hall effect of some sorts goin' on in there.

The cruise control does come with a magnet and it's own sensor, for those vehicles without a vss signal. However, their directions say to put it on the driveshaft. Not sure where you'd have to put it on a 400.... Is the 400 speedometer cable driven from a gear somewhere? (Like old style bicycle speedos?) If it's electronically driven in the dashboard, you have to have a sensor somewhere.... Might even be in the same place as the 650.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok, the CC is here! I'm going to grab the camera and manual momentarily and head to the garage. The day should go like this.

5 hours cleaning the garage to make enough room to work.
5 hours getting off the plastic (Never done it before).
5 hours locating needed wires and hoses on bike.
5 hours trying to figure out where to position everything.
5 hours repositioning everything because it didn't really fit.
5 Minutes actual work connecting wires, cables, and hoses.
5 Minutes of oil change work.

There's only 7 wires, one hose, and a cable.

I have found an inconsistancy between the manual and the schematics in the manual.

For testing the speed sensor, the instructions say to use the white wire from the sensor, while the schematics show a pink shielded cable. Guess we're about to find out which one is right!

I'll be back here for immediate answers to any questions I might run into. So everyone stay glued to this forum today! (just in case!) :D

The good thing is, the color of the switches almost match the plastic on the handlebars!! Almost.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts