Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased from http://www.partsamerica.com
Their part number: AUDCCS100

Paid $97.99 with a discount of $5.00 and Shipping for $6.33.
(For discount use eCoupon: Reward)
Total Paid: 99.32

I'll give them a 10 for service, as they sent an email order confirmation, and an updated status of my order when they shipped it, and an estimate of arrival time. It arrived three days earlier than they estimated.

I would HIGHLY recommend this product to everyone.

However, there's a caveat to this recommendation.

I WOULD NOT recommend installing this product yourself.

However, there's a caveat to this recommendation also.

If you're entirely comfortable reading schematics, and your mechanical/electrical/pneumatic aptitude is somewhere near or off the top of the scale, then go right ahead and install it!

Before I review the installation process, a little background on myself is in order. I spent nine years in the U.S. Navy maintaining, repairing, tearing down, and putting back together the MK-15 Phalanx Close-In Weapon System. ( Click Here if you're interested.)

Presently I'm attending school and am about 5 months from getting my FAA License to beat on all sorts of planes! Oh, I mean FIX planes, yeah, that's what I meant... FIX Them! (Again, Click here if you're interested.) I'm currently wrenching on a Boeing 727.

So the installation portion of this review may be a bit skewed based on my personal background.

THE REVIEW
The Audiovox CCS-100 cruise control kit is marketed as an aftermarket add-on for cars. Not Motorcycles. However after seeing several web pages on succesful installations onto varying motorcycles, I decided I would put it on the Burgman.

MANUAL
The manual that comes with the cruise control kit reads like a service manual for an Embraer Jet. By that I mean, it was written in spanish, sent to a french speaking spanish interpreter to be converted to english. (That's not a joke, that's what Embraer did!)

In other words, it's not the most user friendly manual I've seen. There is enough information to extrapolate the necessary information for installation. It tells you where the different wires go, and enough pictures to get an idea of how to hook up the unit, including 11 different ways to hood your throttle to the unit. None of which will work.

The manual does spend an entire page on the operation of the cruise control. Which operates just like any type of cruise control I've ever seen.

INSTALLATION

Installation theory was simplicity in itself! 1 throttle cable, 1 vacuum hose, and a hand full of wires!

Practical Installation is another story. It was still a simple installation, but rather tedious. It took 2 days from start to finish. 6 hours was spent on the linkage from the cruise control cable to the throttle on the bike. You have a very cramped space to work on the throttle linkage.

The only space I could find to safely mount the servo unit was in the right section of the lower glovebox. A vacuum reservoir was mounted under the battery. The vacuum reservoir is required for a smooth throttle response from the servo unit. Otherwise, it would jerk you around as it was trying to maintain speed.

If you're interested in more installation information, there's a whole thread going on here.

OPERATION
First 100 Mile Report

If you have been following the installation thread, you know the cruise control is operating off of the tach signal from the ignition coil. At first, I thought there was a problem with the cruise control, because occasionally when I 'set' the cruise, it would accelerate - sometimes up to 15 miles an hour over what I set it at!

It was driving me crazy! Why only sometimes? After a few miles playing with it, and a few more miles thinking about it, I've discovered the reason.

The unit is using the RPM of the engine to maintain speed. The problem above only occurs when I set the cruise control while accelerating. When you hit the set button, it "Sees" the RPM you're at, and holds that RPM. So if you're accelerating and hit the 'Set" button, it'll hold that RPM. The bike may not be at the MPH for that RPM, so you keep accelerating until the MPH catches up with the RPM.

After figuring that out, I've trained myself to be at a constant speed before hitting the 'Set' button, and it works impeccably everytime.

The manual says it will hold your set speed +/- 2 MPH. In reality, it's more like +2 MPH, and -1 MPH. So it's better than stated. I've used it on about 40 miles of expressway, and 60 miles of side roads with rolling hills. It performed flawlessly.

I know of a road around here with a hill that looks like it belongs in San Francisco. (Read: An extremely steep and rather long hill.) Before I could write this review, I had to test it on that hill. Without the cruise control, I would have to turn the throttle quite a bit just to maintain speed up that hill.

I'm happy to report, it worked beyond my expectations. It maintained my set speed of 35 MPH without a problem. The speed never dropped below the set speed, and never went above 36 MPH all the way up the hill.

Very impressive indeed!

Check back in another 400 miles for the 500 mile review!

Enjoy!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.