Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good new Washington State riders. We are now legally able to run that red light if we can't trigger the stoplight sensor.

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2014/04/washington_motorcyclists_now_a.html

Bill:
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/documents/billdocs/2013-14/Pdf/Bills/Senate Passed Legislature/5141.PL.pdf

I am confused by the sentence:

"If the traffic control signal, including the left turn signal, as appropriate, fails to operate after one cycle of the traffic signal, the operator may, after exercising due care, proceed directly through the intersection or proceed to turn left, as appropriate."

And it's reference to "one cycle"....if the light is "cycling" that tells me that at some point it turned green.

late,
Coz

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Well i thinks its referring mainly to left turns - if it doesn't see you - the straight would cycle but left wouldn't - it would go red-green-red you could then look to go left

Although in oregon (hillsboro anyway ) you have that cool flashing yellow light for left turns

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah...we have flashing yellows in some intersections around here as well.

late,
Coz

·
Registered
425 Posts
Yay! Now all that's left is to allow legal lane splitting!!!

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
A "cycle" will be that the walk light turns red then back to white - means it has not sensed your bike properly

·
Registered
770 Posts
So...what do you do if it is strictly a sensor light: that is, it DOESN'T cycle, because it can't sense the bike?

·
Registered
182 Posts
The problem with any state changing a law is that the local police departments often do not realize every change in the motor vehicle laws and will ticket you based on Past practice. You will then have the same process with traffic court and so on... Be careful exercising your newfound liberty. There is always the 10% that doesn't get the word.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
So...what do you do if it is strictly a sensor light: that is, it DOESN'T cycle, because it can't sense the bike?

In Virginia, you can go after 2 minutes if the light doesn't cycle.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Well i thinks its referring mainly to left turns - if it doesn't see you - the straight would cycle but left wouldn't - it would go red-green-red you could then look to go left

Although in oregon (hillsboro anyway ) you have that cool flashing yellow light for left turns
There's one light in my small town that won't cycle for straight or left turns for my scooter. I didn't wait for this bill to pass - I've went through it while it was red a few times after sitting for a few minutes. One time I think a cop saw me do it - didn't seem to have a problem if he did. I haven't been pulled over since 1995 - right after buying a new car - which happened to be red! My 71 Ghia is red but I drive nicer these days. I beat the ticket - the small town cops in Mukilteo didn't show up in court - probably too busy writing tickets.

I am confused by the sentence:

"If the traffic control signal, including the left turn signal, as appropriate, fails to operate after one cycle of the traffic signal, the operator may, after exercising due care, proceed directly through the intersection or proceed to turn left, as appropriate."

And it's reference to "one cycle"....if the light is "cycling" that tells me that at some point it turned green.

late,
Coz
If you see any of the other lights turn from red to green then back to red (or visa versa) and you're light didn't change to green for you I'd call that a cycle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts