Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
The power button does nothing more than change the operation of the CVT by adding about 1000 RPMs to the current engine speed/vehicle speed ratio when activated. The venerable 650 is limited on the amount of torque it produces. There is little to work with so they substitute engine speed. By spinning it with another 1K faster it gives mildly better performance. It does help only but only slightly. If you are hoping to win a race with a 650 you need to select your opponent carefully.
I'm not disagreeing with you, but by shifting the rpm, the engine can be held at higher torque generating engine speeds. I've roadraced and drag raced motorcycles. I've done a fair share of racing. I realize the limitations of the Burgman. But I actually had an opportunity where if I had done the POWER / NORMAL mode shift, I would have faired better against … I think it was a Camry or similar. Just for fun, not for pinks or bragging rights.

As one can imagine a torque and horsepower curve generally have their max and then trail off. With the Power button, the engine gets into the higher torque zone SOONER, but also exits that peak torque zone sooner. At some point past the peak torque zone, if one clicks it back to Normal mode, the engine drops back to (or close to) the peak torque zone and runs through that torque zone again. It's likely in the 60 - 65 mph zone as to where to make the shift (I'd like to pinpoint it with a torque curve). Does it make a lot of difference? Meh … it's not tremendous. But I bet as measured on a drag strip switching back and forth versus just leaving it in manual … with equal riders, I'm betting the rider that just leaves it in manual would consistently get beat by 2 to 4 Burgman lengths (so I'll say 3 Burgman lengths as a guesstimate). We need every advantage we can get to beat soccer moms to the better parking spots! 😁

·
Super Moderator
918 Posts
Well said sir. We can have different opinions without rancor in our words. My observations are made from an uncallibrated butt on the seat of my scooter. My experience is in far larger engines where we dissected and analyzed their every rotation. In bigger engines I would say I am knowledgeable. In my Burgman years, not so much. I too would not doubt your observations either. Part of my number of reasons to ride a Burgman 🛵 is to keep from worrying about things like that. I also ride a sport touring bike that fulfills my need for speed when the urge to use warp drive strikes. The Burgman, not so much. I just enjoy the ride at a slower pace. I usually eschew the closer parking spaces to give a reason to walk a bit more. 😄

·
Registered
451 Posts
If I were forced to ride a water heater around town, I would start figuring out ways to make it faster. Just my nature.

Try it some time. It is interesting and completely not dangerous and easy to do. I was surprised to find out it was accurate. Heck, El PoePoe might not even think you're accelerating more than normal because it's not like the front wheel has any chance to disconnect to the pavement (s-l-o-w).

From a stop put it in Power. When you start to go just pin it leave your left thumb on the button. When you hit somewhere in the 60 to 65 mph zone, hit the button back to normal, and you should feel a bit of a surge forward. You can backer down at that time before attaining warp speed. Tis interesting. If you ever happen to get side by side with another 650, if you do this, you should pull away from them.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
That's one of the things I like about scooters: you don't look fast, even when you are.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts