Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking for a Malossi variator for my 2004 Burgman 400 , but here in Canada it cost $390 Can , plus 15% sale taxes , so $448 Can .

We found that the Italian manufacturer Athena is also selling a variator kit for the Burgman , at a little lower price ( $299 + taxes = $ 344 Can ) .

Somebody tried one ? You know about performances ? And quality of Athena stock , compared to Malossi ?

Thanks , Henri .

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Henri

I think you get what you pay for here.

Cheap variator - crap performance.

But I must confess I had never heard of the Athena - so googled it. Unfortunately, I could not find any English language sites and I suffer the handicap of only speaking one language (and murdering one other! :wink: ) - so here is a magazine review that attributes some sort of scoring system to the many variators on the market:

http://www.mopedmagazine.dk/tekst.php?id=59

Hope this is helpful - and if anyone can figure a translation I would be grateful too(Of the words not the numbers :lol: ).

My advice is to either stick with stock or shell out for Malossi.

Regards

·
Registered
428 Posts
Bravo Norman, Bravo.

I have a question: Here in the states it is becoming commonplace for Honda Reflex (250cc's, not sure what they call'em in the UK) owners to remove the first stage variator rollers (the Reflex has a 2 stage variator) in lieu of purchasing a aftermarket unit. Seems to have the same effect as a Malossi and costs nothing. Are you aware of this mod being done in your area?

I realize this mod would not work for the single stage Burg variator, I'm just curious about if this mod is being done by Reflex owners in the UK or not.

All the best,
Jeff

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Jeff

They call them Reflex too! As far as I know, they were never officially imported into UK - I do not know if anyone sucked them in thro' grey import channels. But they are known about and I have heard of the variator tweaking method.

I do not really have an interest in scooters per se and only got interested and bought the Burgman in May this year after a couple of months of almost 'anal' research which included this and many other sites.

Sorry, I cannot be more specific.

Regards

·
Registered
428 Posts
Thanks Norm,

That does clear up something else I was wondering about; why I see hardly any at all of them when I'm in th UK.

Peace.

·
Super Moderator
8,083 Posts
mupp,

Impressive resume (my life on bikes), I thought I rode a few.

Jim

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Bleeder said:
Thanks Norm,

That does clear up something else I was wondering about; why I see hardly any at all of them when I'm in th UK.

Peace.
Hi Jim

Are you in UK often - if so where?

Please don't say London - I hate it with a passion. :wink:

Regards

·
Super Moderator
8,083 Posts
Sorry never been there, wouldn't mind to spend some time there though

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
NormanB said:
Bleeder said:
Thanks Norm,

Peace.
Hi Jim

Regards

Okay sorry - Hi Jeff Qtn as above.

·
Registered
135 Posts
im speaking because i own a pair....but isnt Athena a canadian manufacturer of home audio speakers? i own a pair of them, the high end fronts for my dolby digital system...great sound by the way...better sound than bose.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Henri, I traded a Reflex for my 400 and had done the "kohlerizing" of the variateor in the Reflex and it did make it a bit quicker on the take off. When I first got my 400 the first thing I thought of was to get a Malossi kit just to see how much better it would be. After considering the price, and potential effect on warranty, I decided to wait at least till the warrantiy runs out next spring. But after putting nearly 4K miles on mine so far, I find it more than adequate and doubt I will bother with the Malossi. Suggest you ride yours for awhile first before you do anything.

·
Registered
428 Posts
NormanB said:
NormanB said:
Bleeder said:
Thanks Norm,

Peace.
Hi Jim

Regards

Okay sorry - Hi Jeff Qtn as above.

LOL!!! Well hell Norman I hate to be contrary but we LOVE London. Usually stay at the Savoy, see the shows, crawl the pubs, some tourist stuff, kick around and then move on. Love that "congestion fee", no? We get to the UK most every year usually, have been just about everywhere from Glasgow and Edinburgh down to Cardiff and Exeter, and most places in between, but not all. Loved seeing Tom Jones at Cardiff Castle a couple of years ago even though I wasn't a big fan prior to that. Think I threw my boxers at him.

Peace.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts