Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dave_J elected to stay home today, so this is what he missed.

I was so enamoured with Artist Point this year that I had to go back just one more time to see it in its Fall colours. It's a long ride from the Seattle area, but worth it. When you see caution signs for twists in the road the next 10 miles, you know you're in the right place. :)

In the past years, the road has either been buried under 30 foot of snow in August, or just been opened...and the trails are buried under 30 foot of snow. This was the first year I have been able to hike around in the area and I've fallen in love with both the road and ride, and the scenery when you get there. Here are some links to past trips.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=48282&p=447258#p447258
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=53216#p491612
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=58727#p541534

The route I take gets off of I-5 as soon as is convenient and then heads up Hwy 9, which used to be the main north-south highway before I-5 was built. It's a gorgeous road with sweepers, twist and turns, and a few 90 degree turns in the smaller towns to force drivers to slow down. One of the small towns I get a chuckle from when I see it come up is this one.

I kept my eyes open looking for a road runner or coyote, but I didn't see any. In the couple blocks of the thriving metropolis of Acme, I didn't see a post office either. But I did see a gas station and general store.

I've taken pictures of the route before and wanted to concentrate on the changes of the Fall foliage. There aren't a lot of trees up here and what trees are around are evergreens. But the meadows do change as you'll see.

Picture Lake is in the background.

Mt. Shuksan and Picture Lake from another perspective.

After I got up to Artist Point, I took off on the trail to Ptarmagin Ridge. I didn't see any ptarmigans, but some other people had seen 8 alongside the trail. I suspect the number of people there scared them off to places a little harder to find them.

The place I was heading for is the point in the center where the trail goes down the hill out of sight.

Here are several pictures from that point. See if you can see the people. They are there. I promise!

I think the rounded "hills" in the right center are made of pumice. They just don't look like the normal rock around here from lava flows.

Here's a picture looking back on the trail and trying to capture the color.

A couple more obligatory scooter pictures with Mt. Shucksan in the background.

I did want to get a picture of the North Nooksack river as it ran along Hwy 542.

And on the way back, I passed through scenic Acme once again. ;)

One thing I looked for, but didn't see...was a sign saying you're leaving Acme. I guess that was self-evident.

Chris

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
Absolutely breathtaking. Thanks so much for sharing. Your Burgman is also very beautiful. :thumbup:

LoJo :D

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Nice pictures. Looks like you had a nice day.

·
Premium Member
14,228 Posts
Beautiful pictures Chris.

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
InfernoST said:
Great pics Chris. I wish I was with you, that sure is beautiful country.
Tell that to Arnie (asolof). He came out here in the early spring and saw nothing but rain and fog. :lol:

Chris

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Great pictures of a beautiful part of the country. Thanks for sharing! :thumbup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts