Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Now that's what I call a dedicated rider. There are alot of people around here that ride them all year round also, because it is their only means of transportation. I've rode in temps as cold as -2 degrees, and it's not very enjoyable, but sometimes you have no other choice.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Just supposing one has all the latest electric clothing, vest, gloves, pants, socks etc,, at what point/temperature is it not fun anymore?

Does your face freeze?

Can that be covered too?
Well, most of it. :lol:

Do the scoots controls freeze?
Is it frost on your face shield/visor?

Is it the roads?

Who can tell us a sensible cut off point for cold weather riding, or is there one?

Providing there is no snow or ice, would it not be possible to ride all year long?

Curious :?:

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I rode my 650 once when the outside temp was 19° F. It was about a 20 mile ride. Normally, I don't ride if the temperature is much below 30°. But what really tells me it is time to put the scooter away is snow, ice, and the related salt, sand and crushed rock that they plaster the roads with. Not the cold.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Thankfully we have very few cold days down here to contend with, but up north I would think sometimes it's not worth riding in the cold just because it takes longer to dress and undress then the ride itself. Also you have to reach a point were you just can't move anymore, although the electric clothes help there I guess.
So sometimes it not just a matter of how cold it is outside right. :?:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Cold Weather Riding

I've been doing short rides, less than ten miles, all winter, as long as the roads are clear. I'm even considering a Ural sidecar trike. If you haven't seen them, they're extremely old fashioned 750's with carbs and alternate kickstarts. The Patrol model is a Russian military motorcycle with sidecar and spare tire. The side car actually has a drive, which can be turned on and off. They're great in snow, used by Russian loggers in the Ural mountains. Yes, there is an optional log carrier, but I don't think it's imported.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Fuhgettaboutit. If its under 50, I aint goin. (well, I might, but...)

Hat's off to the hearty souls out there!

I ought to be ashamed.....

:oops:

Pete

·
Registered
857 Posts
Pete said:
Fuhgettaboutit. If its under 50, I aint goin. (well, I might, but...) I ought to be ashamed....
I would think so! I live in Arizona, and I've ridden in frigid 40-50 degree weather in the early mornings to go to work! In 45 mph highway rush-hour traffic!

Wear my ski gloves and a "windbreaker" pant under my Phoenix (mesh) pants.

I think i'd ride if it were even colder if the roads were clear. Just can't ride enough these days. Gotta get some heated grips though. The rest of me being cold I can live with, but cold hands are the worst...(no, i'm not complaining...really)

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
I rode my 650 yesterday morning (29 degrees) and this morning (31 degrees). With my Gerbings jacket and gloves and full-face with the shield cracked open, the temps were a non-issue. I traveled about 100 miles both days and was just as comfortable at 7 AM as I was later into the rides when the temps rose into the upper 40s and cut the thermostats back.
In my experiences riding in temps as low as 20 degrees, as long as you have electric gear (or some other good cold weather gear) and a fairing with a windshield, you can ride comfortably all day. The coldest part of my rides are when I'm getting the bike out of the shed and getting organized. It feels good to get on the bike and get moving so I can warm up.
Don

·
Registered
57 Posts
This winter, I have ridden to work in 17 degF weather with 12 degF wind chill factor wearing a leather coat and jeans with thermal underwear bottoms (long johns). From my waist up, I was toasty even with my visor cracked open to prevent fogging. My legs however were frozen while riding and would start thawing whenever I stopped. I never ride in the snow and I try never to ride in the rain. These are my only considerations. I also use ski-gloves which keep my hands very warm in the morning and mechanic gloves for the evening when the temperature has risen.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Article on cold weather scootering

Lapine Rider,

I rode the 400 on New Year's day. It was about 33 degrees and roads were clear and dry--salt and sand washed away by rain a day or two earlier. Rode about 60 miles just to ride on the first day of the year! The Burgman performed well just as she has on any warm summer's day.

Burgwoman400 USA

p.s. My Gerbing electric jacket liner made that ride possible.

·
Registered
270 Posts
:D I find that cold weather rideing my 650 runs better than it dose when it hot. I was told that there is better air flow to scoots breather when cold. Than when it's hot and sticky. Arkansas has a lot of humidty in the summer months. But air is dry in the winter. I just know it seems to run better when its cold. My longest and coldest day. was 25 miles., at around 23 degrees. I ducked down behind the wind screen and rode on. I was told I was crazy. Perhaps they were right. :roll:

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I haven't had my Burgman for a cold day yet. But I'd take my old Honda 250 Elite to work on any day above freezing. Good leather coat buttoned and zipped with collar up, knit ski mask under the helmet, long johns under my slacks, at least two shirts, great gloves over the cuffs of the coat, and two pairs of socks. I'd usually be sweating if it warmed up any for the afternoon ride home.

Dave B.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I rode my Burgman to work throughout the winter (and never went one full week without riding). The coldest ride I had was 14 degrees fahrenheit. I usually wear multiple layers, and gators to keep wind from shooting up the pant legs. My ride is 20 miles each way and by far the best cold weather investment I made was my givi windshield - it's made a huge difference for my hands!

Today it's supposed to hit the upper 50s and the streets are alive again w/ motorcycles.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts