Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

ARE YOU BETTER, SAME OR WORSE FINANCIALLY COMPARED TO 5 YEARS AGO?

• BETTER

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SAME

• WORSE

• DON'T CARE, JUST LET ME RIDE!

• Total voters
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to see what the economy is doing to people. I know that gas prIces are way up, yet housing costs are really reasonable in parts of the country. How have you been affected in the last 5 years?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Housing in some parts of the country may be reasonable but certainly
not anywhere near here. The house I bought three years ago has
doubled in price since then. The one I had before that went up 50%
in four years.
I did do an on-line check of housing prices near where I used to
live in Dayton, Ohio & found that the prices were not much more
than they were when we moved fifty years ago but of course the
area where we lived has fallen on bad times.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
My finances improved in 2001 when I retired. That's not typical for most, but a combination of good pension plan (TIAA-CREF), some very successful mutual fund investments, and disciplined savings during the period between my sons leaving home and my retirement, has led to more income than when I was working.

I took early retirement because to continue working would have actually cost us income. 8) And I wanted to lock in my medical benefits before they were decreased, or eliminated.

So far the hardest part of retirement is breaking the discipline of many years of penny-pinching to start spending a little more.

Gasoline costs may take care of that..... :cry:

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I checked "Worse" because I retired 3 years ago. My days of making the "big bucks" are over. But I am enjoying my life a lot more. With gas going up and taxes doing the same, the pinch keeps getting a little tighter, but this has been like a really long vacation and I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
ours is better. If I was working, I'm sure it would be great. however it is not a good time for me to go back to work. I'd be working to have my kid in daycare. 2 more years......

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Better. As we've paid off all our loans it has freed up monthly money to go farther. Got me a 650 with cash (broken at the moment). Got us a huge party deck on the house. Will pay cash for the new landscaping around the house. Paid $160,000 for the house 6 years ago, and someone offered us $250,000 last week even though we don't plan on selling anytime soon.

·
Super Moderator
8,069 Posts
I checked worse, slow economy here, few raises at work, investments suck, the health insurance and health services are going ballistic, along with our property taxes. Price of fuel is actually where it should be @ $3 per gal, no complaints, YET.

However, Kids are gone so our money is ours, and we have cash. No more borrowing for anything, bikes, cars, a wedding, and traveling. I'm not going to leave too much for the final expence. I'm going to invest in life while I'm still healthy.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Better for us. I'm pre retirement, and my pay increases have more that kept pace with increasing prices. And our company is doing well financially, so our incentive compensation program (bonus) has earned me at least another year's salary in the past 5 years.
Helped me justify the bux for the Burgman, in fact.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts