Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is about a month and a half since I have gotten my Burgman 650 and I have put 3000 kms on it.
In that time I have discussed its design with a Harley driver who has over 400,000 kms on a 98 and a Suzuki GSX-1000 driver who has 8000kms on his 2000.
In both cases the expressed opinions and amazement about how good the Burgman was.
The Harley driver could not figure out why they weren't selling more and the GSX driver had this longing look in his eyes!

The GSX driver is my neighbour and our wives were comparing what they get to ride on AND hang on to and my wife was amazed and happy with what she gets in comparison with the postage stamp seat for the passenger GSX seat. She still wants a back rest and may end up with her own bike.

It is interesting and if the world gets over the feet forward or 'scooter' idea there could be whole lot of people driving around with **** eating grins on their faces (sorry for my French)!

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
I believe you are right on track with that statement. I think we are the NEW wave.

When I started this forum, the guys at work laughed. "A scooter forum, and only one paticular model line. Never!" Every few days they ask me how many members and from how many countries. They are blown away that the maxi-scooter craze is taking off. If it were not true, this forum (and others like it) would not have the activity that it has now.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I think the Burgman (and a few others) will get rid of the "scooter image "
We now have style, power, reliability , Yes this may well be the new wave :)

For sure this is not the scooter our fathers had :lol:

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
I think every aspect of the Burgman is fine (I can deal with the screen issue) the only downside to the 400 for me - is that it sounds like a freakin lawnmower!

There are a few competent maxi-scooters out there, hopefully Suzuki will not rest on their laurels, rise to the competition and improve and tailor to meet the more demanding markets. The original designers apparently had no idea the exended use folk would put this machine to (400 model, down). To hit the touring requirement they really need to increase tankage and put in some hard points for side pannier racks.

However, having said all that, here in the UK, it will remain a niche in the market, as the real biker prejudices are set into the culture. The price premium too is a distaste.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Excellent points, gentlemen (OK, and NormanB :wink: )!

I had the good fortune to go on a 120-mile ride yesterday with guys who owned Victorys and who'd previously owned H-Ds, etc. They all were impressed with the 400's ability to keep up with them on the highway and how it handled. They marveled at the ergos, the power, the storage, even the styling. Sushi got a lot of respect. :D

Frankly, as an aside, I think we (as scooter riders) get more respect, too, from regular motorcycle riders when we dress appropriately for the ride--decent helmets, protective gear, etc. We're taking the road seriously, and that can count for something with other motorcyclists whose previous image of "scooter riders" is the folks who hop on in shorts, sandals/sneakers/etc.

Bryna<--very proud owner of Sushi the 400

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Invincsum said:
Excellent points, gentlemen (OK, and NormanB :wink: )!
[snipped]

Bryna<--very proud owner of Sushi the 400
So Bryna - pray tell, nay please do elaborate on what evidence you have, to cast me aside from this august 'League of Gentlemen'. For while I am sure, that I may have fallen from grace in moments of weakness (normally when I am in my cups :wink: ) it has been the impression of most that I am unswervingly assidious in following a gentlemanly protocol.

:D

·
Registered
806 Posts
Norm,

They have a fix for the lawnmower sound of the B400.

It's called "Ride a Honda Helix (or whatever you guys call it) for about a day." All of the sudden, your B400 sounds much better.

;)

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I have heard lawn mowers that sound better -well louder anyway - then the Burgman. But since I don't like loud pipes anyway the 400 is fine for me. 8)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Neighor #1 has commented -- positively -- about how much quieter my motorcycle is than neighbor #2's Harley.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Analytical said:
Neighor #1 has commented -- positively -- about how much quieter my motorcycle is than neighbor #2's Harley.
Neighbor #1 would not like my neighborhood. Many motorcycles - some Harleys with open pipes (one leaves for work at 6am, blipping his throttle needlessly as he rolls down the street). Race cars. Several folks are into racing, and tune 'em up on Saturday afternoons. Once in a while they'll drive them around the neighborhood too. Now those are LOUD. Kids. When the weather's warm they are out yelling and screaming as they play. The Harleys sound nicer than the kids. :twisted: A couple of yappy dogs (the kids sound better than these).

When I ride my Remus equipped bikes down the street, the dogs hardly bother to bark at me. They just aren't impressed. :?

Not a neighborhood for those intimidated by sound. But I'm happy here. And I won't be getting any complaints about my tastefully sound enhanced Suzuki's.

·
Registered
320 Posts
it has been the impression of most that I am unswervingly assidious in following a gentlemanly protocol.

:D
Oh, Norman--you are a true gentleman. :) I was just trying to get your goat. Looks like it worked! :lol: No worries, mate. You're one of my favorite posters.

Hey, the dealer left me a message tonight: they found me a 400! :D Gotta fill out the loan stuff done tomorrow...hoping to have it by my vacation next week!

Bryna

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Invincsum said:
Hey, the dealer left me a message tonight: they found me a 400! :D Gotta fill out the loan stuff done tomorrow...hoping to have it by my vacation next week!
Looks like there'a about to be a new addition to the household....and a whole new crop of riding stories. :) Congrats!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yes we are the new wave...

I cannot for the live of me understand the love ( in the US anyway) of these "Old School" designs. Those machines have poor suspension, Carbs, no storage, windscreen etc. My scoot frees me to just ride and enjoy it. No shifting, full instrumentation Fuel Injection, great brakes etc. The rides is great , and I don't feel like I am being vibrated to death like on some well known bikes will do to you.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Invincsum said:
Oh, Norman--you are a true gentleman. :) I was just trying to get your goat. Looks like it worked! :lol: No worries, mate. You're one of my favorite posters.

Bryna
Hi Bryna.

My goat - you got it! I knew you were joshing but I could never miss an opportunity to tease YOU either :?: :wink: :lol:

Good news on the 'svelte'! So you will be a double burger household?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Sails said:
It is interesting and if the world gets over the feet forward or 'scooter' idea ...
I don't think the real (future) market for scooters are current motorcycle riders. The biggest market are those that can benefit from the step-through frame, automatic transmission and feet forward riding position (and also the ready storage on many of the scooters). These features make it easy for many that would not otherwise ride a motorcycle.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Good news on the 'svelte'! So you will be a double burger household?
Yup--guess that makes us a "Whopper" of a household! :lol: Sushi's looking forward to getting a sister. And Lynn's excited too. She'll keep the original and name it Bucky, I'll get the new one and name it Sushi. :D

Everyone's happy...except perhaps the five cats who won't see much of us! :?

Cheers, good buddy,

Bryna

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
30MuleTeam said:
I don't think the real (future) market for scooters are current motorcycle riders. The biggest market are those that can benefit from the step-through frame, automatic transmission and feet forward riding position (and also the ready storage on many of the scooters). These features make it easy for many that would not otherwise ride a motorcycle.
I think you are only partially right. There are certainly folks in the category you describe. But we also do have many forum members (I think a majority actually), who have previously ridden motorcycles, and some that still own one or more motorcycles. As one of the latter group, I can say with certainty that the attraction of the big scooters does extend to folks who are perfectly adept at riding a motorcycle. And I am absolutely certain that we will continue to see current motorcyclists buy these big scooters, as they discover how competent and versatile they are. Some will buy them to replace their current motorcycle. Others, like myself, will supplement their existing motorcycle(s) with a scooter.

Actually, to be totally correct, I am supplementing my scooter with a motorcycle. Never thought it would turn out that way when I bought the scooter, but the AN650 quickly became my favored ride.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Analytical said:
I went to the local Harley dealer's open house early Saturday morning. Rode a V-Rod (done that before, but it's too much fun to pass up), a Road King Custom (kinda neat, very beautiful), and the new Buell XB9SX (remarkable translucent blue "tank").

Anyway, when I'm about the leave, about four of the staff are around my scooter. One of 'em wants to sit on it. Then there is:
Wow! This is comfortable.
That's what you [one of his buddies] need.
Oh, there's storage under the seat?

When I started it, I said, "It's probably too quiet for you." To which one replied, "No. It's the Stealth Motorcycle."

·
Registered
105 Posts
pauljo said:
... I can say with certainty that the attraction of the big scooters does extend to folks who are perfectly adept at riding a motorcycle. ...
I agree that the larger scooters appeal to experienced riders. And experienced riders will be the early adopters of scooters. That's where I'm coming from having ridden motorcycles for 30+ years.

I was trying to make a statement about the scooter market in general, including the smaller ones. There are many people today who would not be driving a car if they had to use a manual transmission and non-power steering and brakes. I think the features of scooters will open up the market to a much wider market and I think that is where the "new wave" will come from. Witness the success of the Vespa Boutique marketing concept. I think scooter makers know this and are casting a very wide marketing net to capture the general population, not just the sport rider.

Let's face it, many people are bored with their cars and deserve to have a little fun while running errands and picking-up the take-out.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts