Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those that ride motorcycles are generally called bikers. Are we a subset of that group called bikers or is there another term that can be used for those who ride maxi-scooters like the Burgman?

·
Registered
120 Posts
We're a special breed. Risk takers. Laughing at conventional wisdom. Burning the pavement as fast as the law allows :wink:

Yea - we're bikers

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Bikers??

The term "Biker" seems to have some negative vibes associated with it. For people who don't ride, it can conjure up visions of Hells Angels, chopped Harleys, tatoos, knife fights - all that extreme lifestyle stuff...

So, I have always preferred to call to myself a "motorcyclist". Has more of a sports enthusiast kind of ring to it. An adventurer, to be sure, but I'm not coming into town to rape and pillage Maam...

But a "Scooterist"??? I'm not so sure.... The average citizen, unaware of recent developments, will visualize a 50cc 2 stroke screaming along at 30 mph. I'd be immediately dismissed as an eccentric.

So how should I describe myself these days? Aw, who cares! I'm just gonna go riding.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Puleeze...your'e wearin me out..

We we bikers when Japanese V-Twins came out?

IS a feller riding a Motoguzzi MV100 Automatic with Floorboards a biker?

A burgman 650 (forget the 400) is a vertical twin with a neat Automatic tranny. Its a motorcycle ! So there's no gas tank in the middle.

"I wouldn't be cuaght dead on a Rice burner...yeah yeah blah blah. I wouldn't be caught dead on a scooter...blah blah.

I you have to think about it our'e thinking too hard.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I'm with migz123 on this one, but I've always prefered the term "rider" to " biker" - one reflects an activity, the other an 'assumed' lifestyle. I suppose that on the 650 I'm a "Skaboo rider", and on the RC45 I'm an (you've guessed it) "RC45 rider", etc.

Something that doesn't change whatever bike I'm riding is that I'm a 'motorcycle enthusiast' - you can be one of these whether you own a 50cc, 500cc, or 1500cc mount, or indeed nothing at all. It's inclusive as opposed to exclusive. I kind of like that.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Guess I'm a "bike'r" and my wife is a "scooter'er"

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Hi there John and welcome to the board. I'm a motorcylist I guess if you need to attach labels. I'm also proud to tell people that my ride is a scooter as well. It really doesn't matter to me what people want to call me.I enjoy riding my Burgman.

·
Registered
793 Posts
The only place I've seen the word Scooter is on the Suzuki website
at the rollover pulldown called "Scooters".

I prefer "greaser", then having gotten it all wrong I explain to them
what it's like, then having them sit on the throne they melt into the
fantasy/reality that I ride on.

The GSX-R1000 may be Motorcyclist magazine's 2003 Motorcycle Of The Year
but I'm only racing towards and away from home, a long long way
from Brea sometimes all summer long.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I owned a 1100 Shadow, gs500 suzuki, 250 Rebel, 1800 vtx, 550 Yamaha, and now also own a 650 Burgman. Never thought of myself as a "biker", more of a motorcyclist who enjoys the road. You'll notice all these are Japanese models. I like the Harley's well enough, just don't buy into the biker mentality, not that all HD owners are "bikers" either by far. I suspect many of them are not unlike us - just won't admit it!

"A scooter? Are you a sissy boy or what?"

·
Registered
394 Posts
John Bellantonio said:
Those that ride motorcycles are generally called bikers. Are we a subset of that group called bikers or is there another term that can be used for those who ride maxi-scooters like the Burgman?
I've heard used...

motorcyclist (no matter what some might say, it is a type of motorcycle)
a mod (versus a rocker, older classic scooter terms)
scooterist (also scooter enthusiast)
maxiscooterist (clarifies the type of scooter in question)

·
Registered
409 Posts
This is simple. I'm a rider.

I own a sport standard and a sport commuter.

Eddie

·
Registered
14 Posts
Motorcyclist... Scooterist... Whaterists?

Everyone..let's get real...

WHAT IS THE DEFINITION OF A MOTORCYCLE?

A MOTORCYCLE IS A TWO WHEELED BIKE WITH A MOTOR...

ENOUGH SAID???? A SCOOTER... IS A MOTORCYCLE WITH A BODY ADAPTED TO BE MORE COMFORTABLE.. BUT IT IS STILL A MOTOR CYCLE... IT HAS TWO WHEELS AND A MOTOR... GIVE IT UP.. WE ARE ALL BIKERS!!!!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I prefer "dufus", but that's just me. :D

I've owned everything from a Tomos moped to a DR650S to a ZX-7R and everything in between. My current ride is a Derbi GP1 with a Metrakit pipe and 70cc 13.9:1 compression engine that does 90mph (you guys think you get looks? :shock: ). I'm a rider (or, in Las Vegas, "dead man riding").

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I also do not care much for the term biker, I ride a motorcycle.
I have been calling it a touring scooter because most people have no idea just how far scooters have come and this makes them think twice.
Really , I find you say scooter to most people and they think Vespa.(old Vespa)

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Randy said:
I also do not care much for the term biker, I ride a motorcycle.
I have been calling it a touring scooter because most people have no idea just how far scooters have come and this makes them think twice.
Really , I find you say scooter to most people and they think Vespa.(old Vespa)
I agree about the term biker - too much in the way of outlaw gang & poser connotations. I've always considered myself a "motorcyclist", and I will remain a "motorcyclist".

Funny, but the first question I've gotten from older gentlemen several times when they walk up to look at the 650 is, "Will it Keep up with traffic"?
I don't know if they are thinking Vespa, or Moped or Yamaha Riva - but when I tell them it will top 100 mph they sure look confused.

Too be fair, the old 200cc Vespas and the Lambrettas would pretty much keep up with traffic in their day. And the Vespa full size spare tire stored neatly behind one of the rear side panels was pretty slick. My best friend's dad had a white Lambretta with a windshield and a luggage rack and a full side spare tire mounted under the luggage rack. He loved riding that thing.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Who cares what they call people who ride "scooters". As long as you are doing what you enjoy when you ride, JUST DO IT!
Wave at others who are riding on 2 wheels. If they don't wave back, then they have the problem - not you. Don't feel embarassed because your's is smaller. Remember, it's not the size that counts - it's how much fun you have with it that counts. :D

·
Registered
320 Posts
titles

Motorcyclist works for me. I frankly don't care what they call me just as long as they don't hit me!!! :shock:

Bryna
P.S. We put 80 miles on our Burgie 400 yesterday during our first foray into Jersey. 8) Got waves from virtually every approaching rider except perhaps those in the midst of a turn/curve.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts