Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was a step up for me. I loved the styling of the Aprilia Scarabeo. But as I became a more experienced rider I wanted, more power, comfort and be able to ride further. The Scarabeo served me well but the Burgman is now a better fit. I am not a tall rider and the lower seat height, smaller wheels, more storage and a 400cc engine, made longer rides possible. I got a great deal on a 2007 / 400 with 5000 miles on it, from a local dealership here in the Poconos.
Looking forward to years of good riding with comfort and power. Anyone else go from a European bike to a Japanese bike ?

·
Registered
243 Posts
I didn't own a Scarabeo. However, the guy I rented an Aprilia Atlantic (very similar to a Burgman) from in Greece tried to tell me I'd like the Scarabeo better. After 1 day I had had enough and went back to the Atlantic. Comfort wise the Atlantic was in a different league. My Burgman 400 is much more comfortable than either the Scarabeo or Atlantic.

John

·
Registered
133 Posts
Congrats on you Burgman. When looking for a scooter to buy I considered an Aprilia, but was worried about getting serviced and parts availability.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I test rode an earlier Scarabeo when I was looking for a ride to move up from a 50cc. It was a 125cc however. It was comfortable enough and handled well but parts for Aprilia are very hard to get here in the US and expensive when you do find them. So between that and the guy refusing to come down{he was wanting full retail price} I passed on it.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
speedandstyle, now aren't you glad the guy refused to come down in price?:D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We have a bike dealer in Coopersburg Pa, EuroSports, south of Allentown. They sold Ducatis, Vespas, Aprilias, Piaggios, Triumphs, Moto Guzzi. The Scarabeo was a step up from a Q link Pegasus. I have had no problem getting parts for either bike. The Q link runs and still looks great. It is a 150cc, large tires, Euro styling, great on gas. I got it in 2008 from a small dealer that has since . . . disappeared. The Scarabeo got between 75 - 80 miles per gallon. Fuel savings = value. My wife rides the Q-Link. She is looking at a Honda Rebel.

·
Registered
32 Posts
After 5 years of riding a Vespa 250 GTS I just purchased an 09 400 Burgman 2 weeks ago.
The bikes are very different and its not fair to compare them. I love the Vespa but problems with the fuel pump caused the bike to stall when ridden hard and in high temps. Even after an upgrade this happened to me three times. As much as I love the scoot, I lost all confidence in it. At one point I lost power on interstate 95 in Philly and wound running with the bike to the breakdown lane to avoid getting run over. That was enough.
Since riding the Burgman on highways and city streets, I'm impressed. Of course it has more power, but there is a feel to the scoot that I prefer to the Vespa.
One thing I notice is that in tight turns you have to be a bit more aggressive, leaning the bike more. This was always uncomfortable with the Vespa because it stood so high in comparison.
My vote in this short amount of time is I'm a happy camper. Sad to abandon the Vespa, but more than happy with the change.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The higher seat height gave me great visibility, but was very difficult to maneuver confidently at speeds above 40 mph. I was able to master the very upright position after a couple of hundred miles, it required a lot of concentration. I have only ridden the Burgman a couple of miles but feel completely confident.

·
Registered
511 Posts
>>I rented an Aprilia Atlantic<<

I owned one a few years back, and while it was well made and a joy to ride I got scared off by the lack of dealer backup and parts availability. Unfortunately, the Italians have never really gotten their act together in that regard. (here in the U.S.)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts