Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
choosing trans oil for my bike for the first time. any recommendations on great oil? should I use syn or petrol based?

thanks.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I use the same oil in the engine and transmission, Rotella T6 5W40 Synthetic. I've used in my bikes for the last 10 years and no problems. It is recommended by several on this forum as well as every other forum I've ever be on. I would also use regular recommended oil if your bike has less then 2000 on it, that is I would use synthetic after 2000 miles or so. Your going to get several answers here, I'm sure all will work and all are good choices. One gal. will do both the engine and transmission on the 650 with a few ozs. left over.

John

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Rotella T6 5W40 Synthetic

TheReaper!

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
Nothing wrong with the Rotella T6 Synthetic. I however use Rotella T 15W-40 non synthetic. I change the oil at 4,000 miles intervals and can't see the need for synthetic unless I'm going to go to much longer change intervals.

·
Administrator
18,738 Posts
Nothing wrong with the Rotella T6 Synthetic. I however use Rotella T 15W-40 non synthetic. I change the oil at 4,000 miles intervals and can't see the need for synthetic unless I'm going to go to much longer change intervals.
Agreed. I use the 5W40 Syn as it is just a bit more than most other 10W40's. When I am using SYN T6 I change my oil and filter at twice the "DASH's" change oil light set at 3600 miles so every 7200 miles.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Also we use Rotella Triple Protection 15W-40 in motor and trans. and change EMGO filter each time also, change oil + filter every 3500 - 4000 mile.

Spring and fall much colder here often we mix 1 litre Rotella T6 full synthetic with 1.9 litre 15W-40 to make oil little more thin, in warmer weather use 15W-40 only now.

Rotella Triple Protection 15W-40 + EMGO oil filter is excellent cost efficient combination.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Diesel ?

I found Rotella 5W40 T6 Synt...but diesel...

Is there a same one for fuel motors or is this the one to use ?

If only for the motor, I won't have any concern, but I read many things about problem with the transmission/wet clutch and I just want to be sure.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
The Rotella oils are made for diesels but they work well in motorcycles and are safe for wet clutches like the 650 has.

BTW, if you will add your bike type to your profile folks will know what type you have when they answer questions.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Caution, if me understand correctly not all Rotella the same, container that say JASO-MA approve only can use for wet clutch.

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
Yeah Shell makes the Rotella T in a 10W30 and I did not see the JASO-MA rating on it when I looked at a bottle in the Store. They also make Rotella T1, T3, and T5 but I have never seen those in a store so have not had the opportunity to check them.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Example Shell Triple Protection 15W40 grade JASO-MA approve, Triple Protection 10W30 grade not JASO-MA approve.

So must be careful which Rotella pick and which grade as well.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the crankcase oil calls for 10-40 MA rating. I used that rating oil for the motor. the oil for the wet clutch call for 10W40 API of SG-SF. Rotella sounds like it's popular. couldn't find rotella so I've chosen Lucas motorcycle oil. it's a blend and has a rating that's a few steps above what's needed. thanks for all your comments. ride safe you all

Dom

·
Registered
346 Posts
JASO MA is for wet clutch. If it says JASO MA, use it. (Rotella T6 synthetic is what I use, and it has the rating clearly printed on the back). Rotella used to make (and still may) Rotella T Triple Protection 15-40 non-synth. It was also rated JASO MA. They do change formulas, so check before buying. I haven't bought the Triple T Triple Protection non-synth for a year or two, so check before buying.

If the oil has the starburst/circle logo with "Resource Conserving" and does not have the JASO MA rating, save it for your car.

If it is rated JASO MB - put it back on the shelf. That is not for wet clutch.

Helpful link:

http://www.oilspecifications.org/jaso.php JASO ratings - includes the following: JASO-MA - Japanese standard for special oil which can be used in 4-stroke motorcycle engine with one oil system for engine, gearbox and wet clutch system. Fluid is non-friction modified

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
Rotella used to make (and still may) Rotella T Triple Protection 15-40 non-synth. It was also rated JASO MA.
Rotella T Triple Protection 15W-40 non-synth is still made and still has the JASO MA rating printed on the label.

As pointed out earlier, they also make Rotella T Triple Protection 10W-30 non-synth and at least as of 2 months ago when I checked a bottle it did not have the JASO MA rating printed on it's label.

·
Registered
220 Posts
"the crankcase oil calls for 10-40 MA rating. I used that rating oil for the motor. the oil for the wet clutch call for 10W40 API of SG-SF. Rotella sounds like it's popular. couldn't find rotella so I've chosen Lucas motorcycle oil. it's a blend and has a rating that's a few steps above what's needed. thanks for all your comments. ride safe you all"

I've found Rotella T at Wal-Mart, and just about every auto parts store out there, but if you went to a motorcycle shop they probably don't sell it, they make more money on what they sell.:confused:

John

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
This was posted on another forum I frequent and I thought it might be applicable here. When he says Triple Protection here he is referring to 15W40 not 10W30. This answers the question of whether T3 and T5 are wet clutch safe, their not.

Re: Shell Rotella 15w40 (reg/synth)
FYI...The Rotella "Triple Protection" dino and the T6, synthetic oil are both JASO MA (stands for motorcycle application) approved. The Rotella T3 dino and T5 blend are NOT JASO MA approved. To be MA approved it has to be safe for a wet clutch. I contacted Shell and they told me the T5 is NOT a blend of the Triple protection and the T6, and is not JASO MA. He did say you could blend the "Triple Protection" and the T6 at a 50/50 mix and end up with what would be a 10W40 semi synthetic that would be JASO MA. I had always thought the T3 was the same as the "Triple Protection" but it turns out they are not.
I found it interesting that Shell told him he could blend T6 5W40 and 15W40 Dino to make 10W40 semi synthetic.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Not wishing to make this even more confusing or contentious (sort of the definition of an oil thread really)

but i also have a wet clutch on my FJR and so have been using Rotella T6 Syn on that -

On the FJRforum - there has been a lot of recent debate that the Rotella T6 formula has changed and it doesn't work so well on Wet clutches (introduces "notchy" shifting) - NOTE THERE IS NO REAL EVIDENCE TO SUPPORT THIS.

One member who has ridden 85K miles or more on his FJR and seems pretty knowledgeable Says this
"synthetic Mobil1 15W50 oil (it is slightly cheaper per quart than Rotella T synthetic) and have been pretty happy with it overall. It is rates API service class SN, and though it is not JASO MA certified, it is not an energy conserving oil formula and has never been a problem on the wet clutch of the FJR."

So i think go with JASO-MA if you want to be safe - but there may be other options out there that also don't have JASO-MA on them.

Im on the fence - i have noticed shifting to be nothcy and am wondering if i should go to something else - as i change every 4k im not sure i need synthetic - but i have a gallon sitting there ready for my next change - anyway as they say YMMV

(on a side note - on fjrforum - all oil threads end up in a special forum called - Never ending, Pointless or recurring threads (NEPRT) - as there are so many questions that are similar - just saying , enough said ! :) )

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
For many many year me used Motul bike oil, normally 5100 serie Motul which blend of dino and synthetic, use either 10W-30 or 10W-40 or whatever Motul 5100 grade on sale at dealer, it very high quality motorcycle oil that become very expensive.

Then switch to Rotella full synthetic JASO-MA approve which excellent oil at very interesting price, later realize that me wasting money with Rotella synthetic as always change all oil and oil filter @ 3500- 4000 mile, went to Rotella Triple Protection 15W-40 dino which also JASO-MA which me use between May 15 to October 8, in cooler weather March 15 to May 15 and October 8 to December 15 use blend of Rotella Triple Protection 15W-40 and Rotella T6 5W-40 full syn and this work extremely well, not ever have problem.

Walmart have best price on Rotella Triple Protection And Rotella T6.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts