Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently upgraded from an iPhone to the Samsung Note 3. About same form factor as a large GPS as I thought about installing on my new Burgman for Nav. Wondered if anyone else has this device and if they've installed with a Ram Mount system?

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Personally I use an inexpensive used Garmin I got for $75 from amazon for dedicated sat nav. I don't like the idea of putting an expensive smartphone on motorcycle handlebars. Too many ways to break it.

But I do use the ram brake mounts plates and holder and they are top notch. I highly recommend them.

Also, Copilot Satnav app seems to be the best for smartphones, from what I've heard. I have it on my iPad and it looks very easy to use. I like that it actually downloads the maps and does not rely on a cell phone connection. But it does seems difficult to share routes.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi Dan,
I use a Galaxy Note (first edition) and I think it is within a few millimeters in size of the Note 3. I was lucky to find a Samsung mount for the Note on ebay. I mounted a flat mounting disc to the underside of the glare shield and suction mount it there in the center. The Note, in that location, can be viewed vertically OR horizontally without being bumped by the bars at full lock either direction. The only"difficulty" is locating an app that will let me run offline. It's not too much of an inconvienence because I can usually get a couple hundred miles of maps per connection. Which convienently coincide with gas stops. I utilize a Nolan helmet with built in Bluetooth so I can get all the nav commands and phone calls OR phone calls and XM radio...so far I haven't found a way to hear all 3 in any useable fashion.
Ed

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Note 3 here.
I've got it strapped to the back half of the handlebar cover in a homemade bracket based on an Incipio case. I'm not entirely satisfied with that solution but it works well enough.

I generally use CoPilot Live for navigation. The map files are saved on the device, and it does not need a data connection while in use except for traffic updates. Route calculation is based on selected vehicle type, and you can customize each vehicle type as to how strongly you want to travel on (or avoid) specific types of road or highway.

Route files can be transferred between Android devices (it's not officially supported, but the process is relatively simple) but not between Android and iOS devices as far as I know.

Most useful for me is the ability to create, edit, and save routes on the device.

I'll go into a bit more detail later.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
The only"difficulty" is locating an app that will let me run offline.
CoPilot Live does this pretty well.
I utilize a Nolan helmet with built in Bluetooth so I can get all the nav commands and phone calls OR phone calls and XM radio...so far I haven't found a way to hear all 3 in any useable fashion.
Get a bluetooth transmitter (audio jack input, Bluetooth stereo transmitter output) and connect a Y-adapter to the phone, XM radio, and transmitter input headphone jacks. Adjust each device's volume settings appropriately. This will not silence the satellite radio during navigation prompts, though. Also, you lose the in-helmet microphone -- but at least you can hear telephone audio. A somewhat more complex but more effective solution would be a Mix-It 2
( http://www.mixitproducts.com/index.php )
combined with a bluetooth transmitter.

Something like the Sema SR10 might do it better and more conveniently. Review here:
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-intercoms/sena-sr10/

My workaround is to use streaming internet radio (Tune-In Radio Pro) on the Note 3, but I'm ok with spending a lot on cell data.

·
Registered
9 Posts

Wow that's impressive, but how do you deal with all that and still watch the road and enjoy the view without crashing?
Technology is great, but dam! The only thing your missing is the drink holder.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi Chile,
Yeah, it looks busy but, actually, I never look at the radio or phone while driving unless, the phone rings or the rare instance I change the channel. Even then, I touch my helmet to answer calls and the radio has 5 presets that make station changes a split second affair. I'm all Bluetooth connected so there are no wire distractions to deal with. I rarely ride with the phone on the mount, it is basically for nav purposes on the occassional trip. Otherwise it rides in my pocket and I get surprised on who is calling because it does not announce callers. :eek:

Ed

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Great info guys. Still not sure about using the Samsung Note as Nav. as we've got several Garmins in our vehicles that could do double duty on the bike. Have insurance on phone so not worried about losing or damaging it but the inconvenience of being down without out it would be a bummer. Dropped a new Garmin once on I-20 east of Dallas and it was toast. Had it mounted with suction cup to dash. Best Buy was good about replacing it. Never had an issue with Ram Mounts though. Got the Galaxy Gear watch this weekend and what a cool companion to the Galaxy Note. Here's a pic taken with the watch. I can see myself taking a few pics with it on the bike too.

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Dan, what works great for me on my Majesty, is a 65.00 dollar Tomtom made for cars that I use the vacuum mount and stuck it to my windshield. I use a safety string made from Spider wire fishing line, but it's never come unstuck as of yet. The only negitive that I know of is not waterproof and sun glare, but it's manageable. Like others said, I don't want the big investment at risk.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Ram mounts are the way to go if your planing to mount electronics on your Burgman, the brake cover mounts work great. I use the garmin but any nav device is nice to have. I also have sat radio and the drink holder.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
I use my Samsung S3 for navigation, music, comedy channel (Iheart radio), real time speed (digiHUD - free app, look for it at PLAY store) and mounted on my left break fluid reservoir via RAM mount and X-Grip. When I'm wearing my shades, the screen dims but I also use Sena bluetooth so it just tells me where to go when I need a turn by turn direction. I'm thinking of upgrading to HTC One Max just because it has bigger screen and cheaper than the Note but the S3 works well for these purposes.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess I need to try out the Galaxy Note as Nav in my truck and see how I like it compared to my Garmin. Never much liked the Garmin's navigation view when zooming out for viewing. Did have a nice Garmin unit that got sold with my Goldwing that was waterproof and sunlight readable. Wish I had kept it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
What throttle lock is that? Does it work well
Hi
It's an "old school" Vista cruise. Problem with the Suzuki throttle tube is a large flange that they use to secure the rubber grip. I bought a spare throttle tube and ground off the flange which made mounting the Vista cruise AND Oxford heated grips a snap. All reside nice and close to the control box with zero rub. As far as function...well it does what it is supposed to...lock the throttle in a fixed position. I replaced the original adjustment screw with a threaded knob affair that could be manipulated on the fly.

Ed

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I like the vista-cruise throttle lock (had one on my PC800) but couldn't justify messing with the throttle tube. It simply never occurred to me to get a replacement and modify that! Thanks for the inspiration!

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
When I'm wearing my shades,
Polarized? I have a drop-down tinted visor in my helmet (HJC IS-33) that works nicely with my triple-tree cover mounting -- I can see the phone below the edge of the tinted visor.
the screen dims but I also use Sena bluetooth so it just tells me where to go when I need a turn by turn direction. I'm thinking of upgrading to HTC One Max just because it has bigger screen and cheaper than the Note but the S3 works well for these purposes.
Consider the Samsung Galaxy Mega, if all you want is a huge display and don't need cutting edge hardware.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I guess I need to try out the Galaxy Note as Nav in my truck and see how I like it compared to my Garmin. Never much liked the Garmin's navigation view when zooming out for viewing. Did have a nice Garmin unit that got sold with my Goldwing that was waterproof and sunlight readable. Wish I had kept it.
Just a heads-up: make sure you have a 12V USB charger that can keep up with the phone's power usage (if memory serves, it draws up to 2 amps when charging; many chargers won't support that).

·
Registered
94 Posts
Not sure what to make of the amperage draw question/comment but, the wall charger that came with my Galaxy Note only puts out .7 amps.

Ed

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
How do I run the power cord into the glove compartment?
The lid to the glove compartment has some give. I just run the cord through the opening and gently close (and lock) the lid. I did pick up a cord on ebay that I can solder to the back side of my lighter style plug-in to provide 5 volts to my gps. Think I will bring it out through the little door that covers the fuses via a little audio style mini plug so I can just plug the gps power cable in when I need it. I will try to get some pictures of it when I do it but the outdoor temps are in the 20's right now and I am a sissy with a unheated shop so it will have to wait until spring.

Namaste'
Doug from Kentucky

1 - 20 of 25 Posts