Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ended up with a rear flat tire last Saturday and now need to get a new tire. I'm settling on the Micheline city grip tire and wanted to check with some of the members who may be or have used this tire.

I'm a fairly aggressive rider and do enjoy running a little fast through the curves and at times finding the bikes lean limits. How have these tires been for our Burgman 400s? Do they provide very good grip when cornering and during wet weather riding? Also what has your experiences been on the longevity of the tire?

The only other tire that I was considering was the Pirelli Diablo performance but the reviews on how long it last are pretty bad. Only a few thousand miles. It is a sticky tire and the reviews on it's handling are awesome but because they are a sticky compound tire they don't last very long. I would love that type of handling but I commute on my bikes and do need my tires to last longer or else I'll be buying a new set every year.

Also last but not least the front tire for this model is of a different size than the OEM and only comes in a 120/70/14 instead of the OEM 120/80/14. Will this make a big difference on the bikes handling? Can I use this size for the front?

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
It's a slightly different bike but I've been running a City Grip on the front of my 06 400 for over a year now. Just last month I installed one on the back. To me it is the best tire setup I have ever run on the bike. Smooth riding with good grip and responsive handling in the corners. Can't say if it will be the same on the 07+ 400 but would think it worth the try.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
^ What he said.
I've had City Grips On the rear for the past 13K and now have them on the front for the last 3K as well (I'd tried the 120/70 with the Michelin PP so I wasn't concerned about that). Theoretically you'll have slightly quicker steering, nothing that I've noticed. My one concern is cupping on the front. Every OEM I've had has cupped noticeably at 5K and by 20K it contributed to a lot of low speed vibration. Not a huge issue but annoying nonetheless. The City Grips have a similar amount of blockiness to the front tread so I'll be watching for similar behavior. To soon to tell.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I am running an Michelin Pilot Power Pure SC Rear Tire on my 400 right now and its once of the nicest riding tires I've had on any scoot. Especially on the freeway. I can't speak to longevity yet as its only got 1000 miles on it but I'll let you know.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
I ran Pirelli Diablo on my 07 400 they gave me the lowest cost per mile. Back then no one had the Michelin Pilot in stock so can't speak for it. Diablo lasted me 10-11k on the rear. ;)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info everyone. Lots of good information to consider. Even Desert Rat's experience on the Pirelli has got me re-considering taking another look at that tire and comparing the two more closely. I guess it also will come down to price if both tires are comparable in performance and longevity.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Would there be any difference in the MPG performance of these two tires?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I put a front and rear set on at the same time and just went through the rear. It lasted a good 10,000 miles. Front still is good. Should go another 5,000. I put a Metzler feel free on the back and I like the combo. I think the Metzler will last longer

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Metzler did give me the most miles but the Diablos were the best bang for my buck. Tried Shinko which were cheap but only lasted 5k so cost per mile was up there. :(

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I have a "Hoop" on the front and a Michelin Pure Power on the back. about 6000 on each and still looking good. Both ride nice and were easy to balance. I am a Michelin fan since I finally put a set on my 97 Saturn, it transformed its ride and handling :D But I might try Pirelli Diablos next on B400.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts