Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not been very good at maintaining throttle control in slow moving situations such as parking lots & pedestrian areas & I speed up & slow down instead of maintaing steady speed. I think that the compression braking may be part of my problem .

I was wondering if using the manual mode in this situation would help my problem or if any other members has encountered this situation ?

Any suggestions that you have will be more than welcome. I have no problems in stop and go traffic.

Butch :? :?

·
Registered
367 Posts
I find the higher revs give me more control in some situations using the manual shifting. Things like 2up and slow traffic.
Having said that I haven't used it in a while!
I was screwing around this afternoon and was able to mantain control all the way down to 6-7 kms, something like 3-4 mph.
What I found was that slowing down and having the free wheeling kick in and then just applying a little throttle seem to re-engae the transmission. This allowed me to motor below the 14 kms free wheeling speed.
It was still wobbley but I could do feet up and maintain steerage.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Butch said:
I have not been very good at maintaining throttle control in slow moving situations such as parking lots & pedestrian areas & I speed up & slow down instead of maintaing steady speed. I think that the compression braking may be part of my problem .

I was wondering if using the manual mode in this situation would help my problem or if any other members has encountered this situation ?

Any suggestions that you have will be more than welcome. I have no problems in stop and go traffic.

Butch :? :?
Butch,

You have to get used to rolling the throttle up a bit, and down a bit - rather than closing it entirely. It takes a little getting used to is all. I can handle slow speed riding in auto mode fine. You can lessen compression braking by putting the scooter in manual mode 2nd gear - but fiddling with those buttons really takes more concentration than learning to modulate the throttle better in auto mode. That has been my experience. If manual mode works better for you, no big deal - use it.

The Burgman 650 is really pretty similar to my motorcycle with the amount of engine braking. It just requires a different technique to ride comfortably with it, since it does not have a manual clutch or a true manual transmission.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
I used manual mode a lot the first week I had my 650, a few times during the following weeks, and haven't used it at all in the last month.

I do use "Power" mode once in a while, but the bike seems so competent at picking the right ratio on its own that I rarely try to second guess it anymore.

·
Registered
368 Posts
It's great to have manual if/when ever going up or down a steep grade I would presume AND you wanted more control than in Auto. Living in flat Florida, I've never practiced this theory mind you.

I do enjoy additional compression braking when taking freeway exit ramps that incorporate tight turns.

I agree that fiddling with the buttons is more of a nuisance most of the time.

A great technique I always use especially for slow speed maneuvers is to ride with both brakes covered, occasionally dragging the rear slightly while maintaining a little power.

I learned early on that with two up riding, when coming to a stop, keeping a little power on was much easier on the passenger than letting the full amount of compression braking set in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts