Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
I use a Givi T455 tunnel bag... in the tunnel and I like it a lot. If anyone wants one I can source them here in China at the moment US$105 + shipping

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Not sufficient room between handlebar for decent tank bag unless hide dash, best alternative is tunnel bag like this.

·
Registered
590 Posts

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Pretty good profit margin there. Probably they cost at least $10 to manufacture in China.

Big deal, bag is so well made and so very useful, last so very long.

Don't leave home without it !

·
Registered
426 Posts
Pretty good profit margin there. Probably they cost at least $10 to manufacture in China.
Maybe so, but the Givi T455 is not cheap to buy here for starters (cost price is US$85 excl; freight) and secondly they are very difficult to obtain. Whether they are manufactured here or not, doesn't mean that they are destined for the domestic market supply chain. There are two very distinct supply chains which are heavily protected.

FWIW I just bought a brand new BMW G650GS with heated grips, centre stand... price US$15449 (equivlent) plus an additional 9% sales tax when I go to plate it. I just purchased a range of accessories including Givi luggage brackets (PL188 + SR685) which will come from Italy, price US$340 (equivalent). Just the purchase price alone on the G650GS which I got supposedly at BMW Motorrad's cost is far more than the XT1200Z Super Tenere I bought in Australia. How much is a brand new legally imported AN650? US$25501 plus that 9% tax.

If you think China = cheap then think again. It used to be so when I got here 13 years ago, but cost of living has sky-rocketed...

Oh and paying the privilege to own and ride a better than average MC here in the middle kingdo0m, means one cannot ride on many of the countries expressways (motorcycles are banned from the majority), not to mention the 123 odd cities where motorcycles are banned from entering or being ridden, and motorcycles are only allowed registration for a period of up to 11-13 years max, after which plates must be surrendered and bike removed from the road permanently.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Interesting insight into a country virtually no Americans know anything about. The price for a new 650 Burg there is unbelievable. And to think I have been concerned about paying $9,000 for a new one!
I would like to learn other dramatic contrasts you see between China and USA. The mandatory requirement to retire 10 year old motorcycles is amazing. Post more any time you are able. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
It's still progress........when I used to go to China ('93-'99) the chances of a foreigner riding or driving (legally) was Zero!

Transport choices were Planes, trains, buses, and taxis, back then.......Although I thing you could register a pushbike.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Everytime I put it on, I realize why I don't have a motorcycle, lol. Lots of room in it though.
I have a Bestem tunnel bag (same as yours) and it pretty much lives in my motorcycle shed. I only put it on for longer rides. As long as I am local on the bike, it is off. Too convenient to have the step though tunnel on the bike. Even on long trips, when I get to the hotel it comes off and goes into the room. I do use a fanny pack strapped onto the handle bars some though. Nice to throw small things into when I am riding.

Doug from Kentucky

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I'm surprised I don't see more scooters with fanny packs strapped onto the handlebars. I couldn't enjoy my Morphous without a fanny pack strapped onto the handlebars. The Morphous has lousy storage even though it has the almost useless little trunk on the back. If I rode it a lot I would mount a big top box on it even if it blocked access to the little trunk.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Interesting insight into a country virtually no Americans know anything about. The price for a new 650 Burg there is unbelievable. And to think I have been concerned about paying $9,000 for a new one!
I would like to learn other dramatic contrasts you see between China and USA. The mandatory requirement to retire 10 year old motorcycles is amazing. Post more any time you are able. Thanks!
Glad you found it interesting and enlightening ;)

I paid AU$17500 for my XT1200Z in Australia in 2011, the same bike in China is around AU$30000 + 9% sales tax. I bought a new 2014 AN650 in NZ march of this year, at NZ$17000, the same bike is sold here for about NZ$29000 + 9% sales tax. Just bought a new G650GS just this week here in China still hot from being released from China Customs. Cost here NZ$19000 + 9% sales tax. That is why there is vibrant underground grey market selling smuggled bikes in China. Problem being that these bikes don't come with official documentation and consequently cannot be plated legally.

Long ago, there was a separate currency reserved for exclusive use of foreigners when in China, which differed from the currency notes etc that the local population used. There are still restricted areas that foreigners are not allowed into, and as an example even Tibet is out of bounds for all foreigners, tourists or expats with work permits and temporary residence visas - are still required to apply for Tibet entry permits usually through travel agents. As one might imagine with the civil unrest in Xinjiang, it is also out of bounds for foreigners at the moment.

Foreigners cannot stay in just any hotel, motel or inn - all of which must have the special prior approval to accommodate foreign guests. Same goes for residential property.

Many foreigners are often unaware at how much restriction there is as many rely and utilise [a] local to get things done, and are therefore sheltered from the inner workings of everyday life.

Locals have a Hukou which is like a family tree document tying a family (and that families descendants) to a location. This was and still is a way of controlling freedom of movement to a location and is engineered in a fashion that allows that family access to government sponsored services in a location, but not elsewhere. This presents a significant impediment to the likes of migrant workers, who move from their home town or village to work in cities, especially if they have children. That worker and their child(ren) cannot access services from location or areas to which their Hukou is not tied.

There are so many intricate and complex issues many of which are under enormous pressures in the middle kingdo0m - too many to write about here. You might be interested to view some of the posts and threads on www.mychinamoto.com where I and others write about all things biking and then some related to life and biking in China.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I have a Bestem tunnel bag (same as yours) and it pretty much lives in my motorcycle shed. I only put it on for longer rides. As long as I am local on the bike, it is off. Too convenient to have the step though tunnel on the bike. Even on long trips, when I get to the hotel it comes off and goes into the room. I do use a fanny pack strapped onto the handle bars some though. Nice to throw small things into when I am riding.

Doug from Kentucky
I'm completely the opposite, my Givi T455 bag sits in the tunnel of my AN650K7, and generally only comes off when I want to remove the engine inspection cover. No matter I'm riding locally or further afield I find the tunnel bag indispensable. Very useful for holding/accessing bottled beverages.
Each to his/her own...
YMMV
:)

·
Registered
352 Posts
I have thought about a tunnel bag also, but am concerned about blocking the small vent under the front tip of the seat. There appears to be an intake vent (cooling?) appx 3 inches in diameter on the tupperware. The bag shown by Cherie in Post #3 has a gap there that would allow air to circulate, but many others don't. Should this be a concern?

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I have thought about a tunnel bag also, but am concerned about blocking the small vent under the front tip of the seat. There appears to be an intake vent (cooling?) appx 3 inches in diameter on the tupperware. The bag shown by Cherie in Post #3 has a gap there that would allow air to circulate, but many others don't. Should this be a concern?
Hmmm... My temp gauge has never moved off of the third mark (as it is normally) when the bag has been on the bike. But, I am not sure how much it blocks the vent. Anyone else?

Doug from Kentucky

·
Registered
426 Posts
Hmmm... My temp gauge has never moved off of the third mark (as it is normally) when the bag has been on the bike. But, I am not sure how much it blocks the vent. Anyone else?
Doug from Kentucky
There is some obstruction of the vent with the Givi T455 bag, but not complete blockage. I make sure that there is some space between the T455 bag and that vent under the seat. But then I carry all kinds of 'stuff' in the bag so it is pretty full a majority of the time, which only 'rounds' the bag out more than if it was empty - likely resulting in the sides of the bag being more flimsy. Aside from recent biding of the fan against the radiator which caused the usual overheating when in stop-n-go situations (now rectified) the scoot always stays on 3 bars on the temp gauge with the T455 bag in situ. To my mind the tunnel bag has little influence on engine temps.
YMMV.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I don't have a 650 but I remember this subject has come up before.(blocking the small vent under the front of the seat) I believe the consensus was that if that is a vent it was an exit not a inlet. I don't remember the name of the topic, it may have been in the middle of a topic like this is. Someone who has been here for a while may chime in and verify that I'm right or wrong. If no one adds to this I may search through the old posts and see if I can find it.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Yes, that vent is an auxiliary vent to allow some of the heat to escape from under the floorboard/engine cover when the bike is is still. As long as you are moving or your fan is working properly it is not a problem. Most of the hot air is vented thru the larger side vents #6 & 7.
See here: http://www.ronayers.com/FOOTBOARD--C217626.aspx
I have used a tunnel bag for 8 yrs. daily and have not had any overheating problems.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts