Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know, the tool to hold the variator or the clutch while removing? I believe I can do the final drive fluid level check....

I live in illinois...

JBB

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I didn't know there was a bona fide tool for that! I made one from a scrap piece of plywood and six bolts.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Is this tool necessary only for removing/replacing clutch, variator, belt and not for just replacing fluid?
Not needed for fluids, just belt/clutch work. However, many don't use it for that either. Instead, use an electric impact wrench (a cheap one, very suitable for the purpose is available at Harbor Freight) and a set of Torx Sticks such as these. They can also be had, often at a pretty good price at HF. They twist at a given torque, limiting said torque applied to the bolt. You don't use them to remove bolts, only to install them. Using these, you don't need the tool you're seeking.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Here is a link to a thread I started and the first post has a picture of what I made. The second post has a link to mike1nw's thread that was my inspiration.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
If you buy the "tool" instead do you still need the impact driver and torque sticks?
No but, they can also be used when removing/reinstalling the rear wheel for a tire change.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
If you buy the "tool" instead do you still need the impact driver and torque sticks?
No but it would still be wise to have a torque wrench. ;)

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Is this tool necessary only for removing/replacing clutch, variator, belt and not for just replacing fluid?
I would suggest (not trying to be smarty) that you look for information on this site. There are many posts and videos on How To -- change fluid, remove cover, work on Variator and Clutch (homemade tools included), and about everything else on the 400 Scooter.

I did research and then still had questions when attempting things (I am new to the 400 also, but now have 22K miles of riding and maintenace -- one has to start someplace).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The final drive oil can only be replaced by removing the clutch, variator, and belt. Sorry I didn't make that very clear as I attempted to instill some humor....

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
The final drive oil can only be replaced by removing the clutch, variator, and belt. Sorry I didn't make that very clear as I attempted to instill some humor....
:error:

Whoa down thar Joe Billy Bob (love that name), ya need to git that pig back in the pen and close the gate! As I recall, while the CVT cover has to come off, just to change out the final drive oil everything else can stay on. (Although, it's a great time to take apart, blow off, inspect, deglaze and replace as needed.) Per the maintenance manual:

Replace the final reduction gear oil in the following procedures:
1) Keep the motorcycle upright with the center stand.
2) Remove the clutch covers. Refer to “V-belt Type Continuously Variable Automatic Transmission Removal and Installation in Section 5A (Page5A-3)”.
3) Place the oil pan below the final reduction gear case.
4) Drain final reduction gear oil by removing the drain plug (1) and oil level check plug (2).

Even though it refers to the section on removing and installing the "V-belt Type Continuously Variable Automatic Transmission (i.e. clutch, varistor and belt), it is only as that section pertains to the clutch cover removal.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My bad.... I was watching the excellent set of YouTube videos by Mitch... I must have it all farbled... Apologies to anyone I have offended....

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I believe the owners manual suggests every 7.5K miles.

I read it differently. It says change it at 7.5K and then doesn't mention it again. At 56.5K I started to feel really guilty so I changed it again. On average, I'm changing it every ~32k miles.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts