Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondered if anyone here besides me has seen the pictures of Kymco's new maxi-scooter. It's a 500cc called the Xciting 500. Looks like a really nice ride. I know Kymco makes excellent smaller scoots(250cc and under) and just wondered what everyones thought is on this company. I know they were Honda's parts supplier for over 40 years. I would still buy the Burgman, but just want some feedback if anyone has some. Thanks. 8)

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is the link to the Kymco pics.

http://www.motorcyclephilippines.com

No direct link to the pics. Click on Picture Galleries in the top middle of main paige. Scroll down to "Main". Scroll to "Kymco".

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
A good looking scoot. .choices are nice, I would like to see one in person but right now I'm happy with what I got. :wink:
Smart move making it a "500" :!:

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Thanks for the link. First I've heard of the 500 scoot. Nice looking machine. I don't like that it is a single cylinder. I wonder what the vibrations are like at speed.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
allwalk said:
Nice looking machine. I don't like that it is a single cylinder. I wonder what the vibrations are like at speed.
Yamaha built the SR500 street single for years. They are still pretty popular on eBay - sell for more than they did new. BMW currently makes a 650cc single street bike. I've ridden it. Pretty smooth - I just kept bumping up against the rev limiter. If a 500cc single is properly counterbalanced, it'll be fairly smooth, although you should feel the power pulses more. The Aprilia 500cc scoots are singles too.

What is probably more pertinent, especially to handling, is how the engine is mounted. I'd guess that it probably sits on the swingarm like traditional scooters, rather than being frame mounted like the AN650.

It does look good, but I also question how much of a dealer network they'll have.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Roy,

Did you ride it before buying the Burgman? I'm curious as to how it compared.

Bryna

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Bryna, I rode if after owning a SW, 650, and how a 400. I met a couple from Ohio at a local county store one day. We got to talking about scooters and he was nice enough to let me ride it. Here is what I posted about it.

"I have only rode an Atlantic down the rode and back. I was surprised. It had little vibration from the engine/drive train, steering was heavy, slow from a stop but accelerated well after it got rolling, high seat height, limited foot area on the front floorboards, a lot of nice features."

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I heard about it several months ago. There is a local dealer that sells small scooters & he has been trying to get this one & another 500 cc
from Vespa. I ask him every so often but he says they both keep telling him it will be a few months.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
gruntled said:
I heard about it several months ago. There is a local dealer that sells small scooters & he has been trying to get this one & another 500 cc
from Vespa. I ask him every so often but he says they both keep telling him it will be a few months.
Since when does Vespa make a 500? I thought the largest displacement scoot they make is the Granturismo 200.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Vespa 500cc bikes?

Sure, they make a 500 -- the X9 500. I think they have a B series 500cc scooter as well.

Both are unavailable in the American market, but are available in Europe, the Far East, and Australia.

PWB

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm moving to the Philippines! :D

Actually, I've been to the Philippines several times and they are serious motorcyclists. They fit their whole family on their cycles all at once and ride around on the worst and most congested roads I ever saw. They also use cycles as taxis and take several passengers at once. The passengers pay when they get on and jump off at their stop.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Re: Vespa 500cc bikes?

pboyer said:
Sure, they make a 500 -- the X9 500. I think they have a B series 500cc scooter as well.

Both are unavailable in the American market, but are available in Europe, the Far East, and Australia.

PWB
The Piaggio X9 500 IS coming to the USA. Piaggio is the parent company of Vespa. The current issue of 'Scooter Rider Magazine' states that it will be available in the US later this year.

The same magazine states that both Piaggio and Ducati were separately seeking the purchase of Aprilia. At this point, Ducati has apparently secured exclusive rights for negotiating a major shareholding in Aprilia. Initially, Ducati was only interested in aquiring the Moto Guzzi brand from Aprilia, but it now appears that they might go for control of the entire company.

Other gossip - CMSI (the parent company of TN'G scooters) has entered into an agreement with Scooter Innovations of Preston, England to design and produce a new scooter under the long defunct Lambretta name. The target is to have the line ready for sale in 2005. It is supposed to combine modern technology with classic Lambretta styling. Plans are to assemble the scoots in the USA from components manufactured in Italy.

Other than Triump, most recent startup attempts to revive old names have met with failure (Indian, Excelsior-Henderson). The LambrettaUSA website states that they are reviving the brand to unseat Vespa from the "scooter throne" in the USA. That statement alone would lead me to believe they are doomed. They have set their sites on the wrong target, and totally lack understanding of the current scooter market. Just my opinion of course - and I'd love to see them prove me wrong.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts