Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed the backrest found at:

http://www.utpr.com/burgman.html

If so, please let us all know if you like it, and if it was difficult to install, and any other comments.

Anyone know of any other backrests for the driver?

Also, how about a combination backrest/hard luggage with integrated brake light for the rear passenger? Armrests would be nice too.

Taking my wife for a ride tomorrow. First time she's been on a bike. Everyone wish me luck....I may need it. (thus all the questions about a backrest - if she likes the ride, we may be doing a few more)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Utopia Backrest

I installed one on my 400, you can look at mine by going up into the
"General Discussion" area and go dow to the one that say"Picutures of
my 400....." and go to the link thats in my message.

It was easy to install, takes about an hour, the instructions are good, and
the quality of workmanship is first class. I really like it, gives your back
a rest so you don't get stiff and sore....I guess thats why they call it a
backrest...??? I recommend it.

Gib McKain

·
Registered
67 Posts
a little off topic

Doesn't the windscreen in the picture look really tall? I wonder what brand it is?

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts
Flintbibbi did you install a utopia back rest, i had on on my Helix, was great for back. Utopia told me to install on burger, seat had to be all the way back, and i need mine ahead all the way. There is always a way to modify it , just have to put more support under seat. I have not got my berger yet, but comming soon i think. :wink:

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup - installed it.

Hey seatec. Yes, I installed it. I like it, although not as much as I thought I would. The back pressure from my new Clearview XL screen reduces the need for the backrest at high (>75 mph) speeds.

And yes, you have to have the seatback all the way back to install it, which is fine with me since i'm 6'2".

·
Registered
65 Posts
I installed the Utopia drivers backrest less than a week ago. The material on the backrest matches the "side" (texture) of the stock Burgman seat but not the top (perforated). Over all it's a close match, the material is not shinny but looks the same as the side material of the stock seat.

The Utopia drivers backrest makes the "ride" sweet. I rode my Burgman for 14 months trying to convince myself that I didn't need a drivers backrest, well I gave into the temptation and got one last week. Now I'm very pleased that I did, it was money well spent.

Comparing the ride now between my Burgman and my former Gold Wing 1500 is harder than ever. Anyone installing the Utopia drivers backrest should notice a 35%-80% better ride comfort than stock for the Burgman. The more one's back hurts on a stock seat the greater the improvement in ride quality.

The instructions that are supplied are good. I took my time after removing the seat from the scooter which is probably the only way to do it. I spent about 3 hours on it due to my neighbor walking into my garage and talking about the neighborhood, GGGRRRrrrrr! (first time he ever came to visit) If you leave the door open the wrong dog may come in! :evil:

Having a sharp box cutter will be great, a 10" - 12" serrated knife, a drill bit (9/32) and a flat tip screw driver. My biggest obstacle was aligning the four bolts through the drilled holes, I ended up striping two of the threaded holes 3 times this was due to myself trying to have a "press-fit" which isn't meant to be. I was able to rethread the holes by screwing in the bolts from the opposite side then out again.

It is a great help to have an extra set of hands, measure twice (or more) cut once. A paper template is provided. Take your sweet time and it will all come together. It was worth the price and time to install this backrest. 8)

·
Registered
334 Posts
I've installed a few on Goldwings. I know it's not quite the same, but if youu want to see how easy it really is to fit you can see an article on this page of my site;

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/1800Utopiabackrest.htm

There is also a downloadable video clip at the bottom of the page that shows the job being done. There is also a link to the clip from the Utopia site itself.

·
Registered
63 Posts
utopia backrest

Put mine on just today. It wasn't difficult. The instructions are very good with pictures. And I just love it. It's a well made product. The best add-on I've done. Had a little trouble figuring out how to take the back rest off the seat. There are two small screws that are visible thru holes by the seat light when the back rest is all the way in the rear position. The rest was just doing step by step instructions. To others that have put the Utopia back rest on...does your seat lift piston hold your seat in the up positon afterwards. Mine doesn't now. Guess it's the extra weight. I want to get another lift rod anyhow because mine doesn't lift the seat as high up as it will go. Anybody else replace their lift rod? Details please.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Re: utopia backrest

jp said:
To others that have put the Utopia back rest on...does your seat lift piston hold your seat in the up positon afterwards. Mine doesn't now. Guess it's the extra weight. I want to get another lift rod anyhow because mine doesn't lift the seat as high up as it will go. Anybody else replace their lift rod? Details please.
Mine doesn't hold the seat up for long either. I would like to hear as well if anyone has made a mod or replacement to the seat lift rod.

You're gonna love the Utopia.

I added last month the Clearview XXL windshield with vent as a replacement to my Givi screen and just love it! This past week I added the Givi E 52 Travel trunk in silver and rode with it for the 1st time today on a 170 mile ride. I like it.

I have nearly 11K miles on the Burgman and it seems to get better every ride. I'm still on the original hoops and may get 12K miles out of the rear tire. I check before every ride, the rear wheel for side movement (bearings) and tires, no problems.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I have put the utopia on my bike and wondered why it took me so long to add it. I also added a sissybar wtih back rest. y ou can see my pics in gallery on new texas rider.
Steve

·
Registered
322 Posts
i've had 2 utopia backrests , one on my 400 and now on my 650. I like them except for the fact that you lose your seat adjustability, so when i put it on my 650 i modified the bracket and just mounted to the butt rest. now i have the comfort of the backrest and can still adjust forward and backeward. It also lets the but rest flex some but makes it even more comfortable. I guess time will tell if the buttrest plastic can hold up to the flexing but after 3000 milesits going strong yet safe riding eyes5002

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
My wife installed the Utopia backrest on her 650. I helped, but it came while I was at work and she did it before I got home, so we finished it together. She was somewhat frustrated by the instructions/pictures and had to re-drill some holes.

She really likes it.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
New backrest affect driver position?

Does the installation of this backrest move the driver forward or backward from the stock position?

My reason for asking is that, while only 6'0" tall, my legs are long for my height. On the stock seat, with the rest all the way back, I cannot place my feet beyond the "hump" on the floorboards -- if I do, my shins are hitting the dash, which is particularly painful if you hit a bump in the road.

Thanks ...

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Re: New backrest affect driver position?

CJConrad said:
Does the installation of this backrest move the driver forward or backward from the stock position?

My reason for asking is that, while only 6'0" tall, my legs are long for my height. On the stock seat, with the rest all the way back, I cannot place my feet beyond the "hump" on the floorboards -- if I do, my shins are hitting the dash, which is particularly painful if you hit a bump in the road.

Thanks ...
CJ, I think you'd be looking at a Jac Vinson backrest and if you do a search on backrests or Jac and Vinson, you'll get a few threads speaking about this fine backrest. It basically takes your stock butt hump/rest and makes that the backrest with a bar. In the long run it gives you more seat to sit back on... Check it out... By the way, introduce yourself in the Who Are You, Where Are You From forum, and let us greet ya proper!!!

Have fun!!

:)

·
Registered
610 Posts
Check out my pictures in the gallery. I had taken off the passenger backrest and replace it with the Givi case. The backrest was just laying in my garage so I spend $12.00 on a metal plate I made and some nuts and bolts and now I have a new drivers back rest! Sure did beat the 189.00 for the Utopia or less for the Jac Vinson's. The butt rest still can move forward and backward. I'm only 5'9" so I need the butt rest on the bike.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Dutch,

Your do-it-yourself driver backrest looks very nice, and would certainly appear to be more comfortable than stock. However, if it doesn't provide any more seat space (ie, it doesn't slide back further than stock), then it doesn't meet my primary need -- to get more leg space.

I think I need to either: (a) remove the stock butt rest; (b) get a whole new seat; or (c) get a new driver backrest with either a smaller butt rest or no butt rest.

I can live with what I have, but would be much happier sliding myself back one to two inches (so close!).

Thanks for your assistance.

Craig

·
Registered
610 Posts
Craig if I were you I would remove the butt stop first and see how that works. If that's enough leg room than you need to find out what's availible to move you into the next confort zone. That could be a bead rider $42.00 or an Air Hawk seat cushion $150.00 to $190.00. Some type of sheepskin seat cover. Gel pad? Or just replace the seat like you said. It all depends on how much you want to spend and how conforable you would like to be for your style of riding. Good luck in finding the answer!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts