Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last I saw from his posts, he was awful bummed out by the slow internet pipe in the new place he'd moved to. Then ... silence.

Anybody heard from the 'Bama boy? I miss his thoughts -- they were informative, opinionated, and funny as hell.

--Chris

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Hi there Chris.

I noticed awhile ago of his absence or lack of posts. I happened to observe one post where he exercised his opinion and someone who resonded to it took it the wrong way and let loose on Covert and put him down pretty good. I noticed within 24hrs of this that Covert or someone had deleted all the posts ever made by Covert. I sent him several Private messages but have not had any replies from him as of yet.

I too found his posts interesting and informative. I think he had a lot to offer this forum and hope he returns soon.

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
I actually talked with Covert on the phone, back when he left the forum. Our conversation was specifically private, but the basic premise for his departure was based on his own personal feelings towards disrespectful member(s) on this Forum.
-Bryan

(Comment from myself)
*I try to make everyone here feel they have the right to speak freely. I can only correct and edit the posts as I see them. Being an internet based enviroment you must realize that opinions are just words typed on a computer by ANYONE with a keyboard. I hate to see anyone go and take their piece of the forum with them. However, we are all adults and can leave anytime based on our own personal beliefs.*
-Bryan

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
I've been on the net for many years. I've learned that you must often ignore the comments of some people. As Bryan said, ANYONE with a keyboard can (and do) post. You must also understand that some comments may be taken wrong as written text does not always properly reflect what the person intended. Anytime you have a large group of people, there will be disagreements and tempers may flare. I just always try not to take it personally. I am not implying that Covert was wrong for leaving. That is his choice. I just hate to see an active member of this excellent forum leave.

Bill

·
Registered
73 Posts
friendly forum...

Actually, I'm surprised, I am proud to say that this forum has been very
lacking in the area of dis-respectful posts, unlike the other forums I have
been on.....in fact, I can't remember even reading one ill-mannered post
on this forum. The other forums get down-right nasty with some of the
egos involved there.
Stand tall Bryan, this has been a very respectful form in my books.

Gib McKain

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I can see someone loosing interest (not in the Burgman of course) and leaving, but to leave because of a post, perhaps made in the heat of the moment ..I think we use to call that "cutting your nose to spite your face" But, as has been said I also respect his right to do it. The shame is the forum is the real looser, and this is a nice place.
Even if it is run by a Greengoose. :p

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, pooh. :cry:

What a bummer. I never noticed a post where someone took an ill-mannered swing at Covert, but it must have been something to put off such an engaging enthusiast.

I can respect his position. I once belonged to an on-line forum where I got flamed badly when someone took my writing out of context. The experience hurt like hell and put me off Internet forums in general for a long time. No kidding, this is the first forum I've joined since then, nearly 7 years ago.

And I've never seen such a friendly and generally good-mannered bunch of folks. It's a pleasure being a member here.

If it would not violate Covert's privacy, I'd like to drop him an email note, just to say 'hi.' What do you guys/gals think? Would that be out of line? If not, would someone share his address with me?

--Chris

·
Registered
239 Posts
I would also like to add that this is the ONLY forum I've been on that has virtually no flaming, back-biting, or otherwise arguing. It must have something to to with our choice of machine!

Bob

·
Registered
14 Posts
An inventation to COVERT

Hi Guy,

I am new to the form and only been a member since 2 April. I have never had the opportunity to read any of your expertise or insights into our favorite scoot.
I have had many "putdowns" in my 20+ years in the USAF.
I have learned to just ignore them, except when it's from my flight instructor.

There is one thing to remember:
"OPINIONS ARE LIKE A..HOLES AND EVERYBODY IS ENTITLED TO ONE".

May I be one of the first to extend an olive branch for your return ! ! !
I haven't purchased my Burgie yet, but am getting closer to making that decision. How about assisting me...

FANFARE & DRUM ROLL PLEASE..........

Rob in SoCal

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Let me be the second to offer an invite back. I have noticed several times when I log on there are at times an individual logged in but there identity is hidden. I often hope that it is you still showing an interest in this place and the people. You have a passion for motorbikes of all kinds,shapes and sizes and your comments were allways welcomed by myself. So , please stop lurking in the shadows and rejoin your friends here on the forum, we can use your advice. Please don't let the rest of us suffer for the words of one or two individuals .

Hope you return soon. :clock:

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I left the Yahoo Burgman forum shortly after I found this one. There were issues at the time where a small handful of people were making it pretty miserable for others over there. I was also getting heavily spammed, and as soon as I dropped out of the Yahoo forums, the number of spam email messages I was receiving dropped drastically - Yahoo needs to do something about that. (I belonged to three Yahoo forums and I was getting three copies of every spam message??? Hmmm...)

This forum has been great. Anytime people differ in opion on an issue, there is a chance for adversity - but most of the time in this group, people just agree to disagree and let it be. That's great. That's how it should be.

And on any given day, there are various people constructively helping others, and sharing the benefit of their experiences.

You can't be too thin-skinned online, but also the old adage of "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" works great - and most all of us seem to follow that.

Long live BurgmanUSA - its a great place to participate. I enjoy it immensely.

·
Registered
308 Posts
pauljo said:
Long live BurgmanUSA - its a great place to participate. I enjoy it immensely.
I never would have purchased my 650 if it were not for this group; It has been informative and I have never seen one disrespectful post.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Bryan,

Do you still have Covert's phone number / email address? It would be appreciated if you either call or email and pass on the sentiments being expressed here to him.

Thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
498 Posts
I don't know why Covert left, but it saddens me to hear it. This is an extremely mature and friendly forum. The MCN forums became extremely unpleasant, and there are running battles over there all the time. I gave it a year or so and moved on. I'm not the only one that simply dips in now and again over there. Don't even bother visiting the MCN ZX12R or Hayabusa forums - it's like a return to the playground.

Covert wrote sense, told excellent stories, and being a dayglo PC800 rider he was unique and dedicated to riding precision and motorcycling in general.

Every forum needs a couple of gems like that.

It's a loss that he saw the need to leave. I just hope that when the 4-week mark passes he'll take a deep breath and reappear.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Interesting insights from the group, as usual.

I must be naive ... what is there to bicker & back-bite about when the topic is something as innocent as riding? Other than matters of taste and style (eg. 400 vs. 650, clothing color), I don't see what should be so darned personal that people feel the need to flame each other, at this or any other forum. We're not talking international politics here, right? And I haven't noticed any Crips or Bloods, either.

Admittedly, I've seen a post here & there on the Forum that got me thinking, "Wow, that guy/gal is a jerk," and I made a note never to invite him/her to dinner, so to speak.

Some people won't remember the basic concept my parents taught me that, if you can't say something good about someone else, don't say anything at all.

·
Registered
308 Posts
lycheed said:
I don't know why Covert left, but it saddens me to hear it.

It's a loss that he saw the need to leave. I just hope that when the 4-week mark passes he'll take a deep breath and reappear.
Its the British that have ruined this forum, from eel pie to Kensighton Roundabout they have thrown the language used here retrograde.- thereby maiming the philological timbre of the proceedings.

Except for the saving grace of Monty Python, we would ban the English.

This post was sent via a wireless american colonist from the North Bridge of Concord Massachusetts. Where the hell is my muskett.???

1 - 20 of 32 Posts