Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I am a long time lurker but 1st time poster. I was recently riding my Burgman around town when my end weight just flew off! It was a little loose so I should have tightened it but I was in way too much a hurry to get to work and didnt think anything of it. I'm sure some of you guys out there have bought replacements for yours and if any of you are interested in making some extra money off a part that is just sitting around I'd love to buy that old end weight off you. It is for a Burgman 650 Executive for the left side. I will take pictures and post them shortly. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Yup and it will fit but mine is much shorter than yours :oops:
It's....off a 2005 400. 8)
I replaced the OEM weights on my 400 with after-market bar ends and couldn't be happier. :wink:
They don't loosen up! :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Scootereno said:
Hmmm...
Are you sure about that? The stock bar end weights on my '08 400 were smaller than those on my '06 650.

·
Premium Member
14,228 Posts
Garnet said:
Scootereno said:
Hmmm...
Are you sure about that? The stock bar end weights on my '08 400 were smaller than those on my '06 650.
The weights from the 400 (03 to present) will fit an 03 or 04 650. In 05 Suzuki went to thinner tubing on the handle bars for the 650 so the ID is larger. The actual weight part on the 400 bar end is also shorter than for the 650.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Buffalo said:
The weights from the 400 (03 to present) will fit an 03 or 04 650. In 05 Suzuki went to thinner tubing on the handle bars for the 650 so the ID is larger. The actual weight part on the 400 bar end is also shorter than for the 650.
I did realize they are shorter but didn't know the ID changed.
Can the 650 bar ends even fit into the 400 if rubber compression lock is loosened? Is the OD still 1- 7/8"? Is there that much difference? Really?
That seems extremely strange as bar weights are sold by generic sizes and pretty interchangeable from sport bike's to dirt bike's to cruiser's to scooter's.
I replaced my rubber compression-lock OEM bar end weights with aftermarket metal taper-lock bar end weights and I bet they would fit either 650 or 400 handle bar if the OD is the same.!

·
Premium Member
14,228 Posts
Scootereno said:
I did realize they are shorter but didn't know the ID changed.
Can the 650 bar ends even fit into the 400 if rubber compression lock is loosened? Is the OD still 1- 7/8"? Is there that much difference? Really?
That seems extremely strange as bar weights are sold by generic sizes and pretty interchangeable from sport bike's to dirt bike's to cruiser's to scooter's.
I replaced my rubber compression-lock OEM bar end weights with aftermarket metal taper-lock bar end weights and I bet they would fit either 650 or 400 handle bar if the OD is the same.!
I think there is probably enough expansion/contraction in the rubber to allow them to fit but I have not tried it to see. The OD is still 7/8. I found out about it when I installed a Throttlemeister throttle lock on my 400. Robin installed one on her 08 400 at the same time. If you are not familiar with the Throttlemeister, it mounts just like the bar end weights do except it uses a metal taper lock instead of a rubber bushing. The metal taper does have very tight tolerance to the ID though to make sure the throttle lock does not rotate in the bar.

Throttlemeister did not have a listing for either 400 but they did for the 650. The model numbers were different for the 03-04 650 and the 05 plus 650. We did not know why but we figured we could make it work. We ordered the kit for the 05 plus 650. That was a mistake. When they arrived we found the metal taper would not fit up inside the handle bars. In the end we made them work by using a grinding stone to open up the inside of the tubing until we could drive the metal taper up into them. The down side of that is they fit so tight you can't get them out again. The up side is they aren't going to fall out :thumbup: .

After getting someone to measure the ID of their 03 650's handle bar we figured out what the change was that required the different kit. If we had ordered the kit to fit the 03-04 650 we would not have had the problem. The ID on the 400 matches the ID on the 03-04 650. As for why Suzuki made the change, your guess is as good as mine.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
When I lost the weight off my 650 I was able to mount a spare I had from my 400, but it was shorter and smaller in diameter. In my earlier reply I didn't even think about the inside diameter not being the same on both size bikes.

Just like your typical girl, I was only concerned about whether they matched or not!! :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Great info Buffalo!

Garnet said:
Just like your typical girl, I was only concerned about whether they matched or not!! :lol: :lol:
This typical guy did about the same thing and bought a new pair to match the color of my bike. 8)

·
Registered
1 Posts
If anyone is still looking for handlebar end weights for there 650 Burgmans I have a set of both Black ones from a Basic 650 and Chrome one from an Exec. :thumbup:

W[email protected]
Tulsa, Oklahoma

·
Registered
191 Posts
wldbill said:
Here's the pm I sent. Apparently the author found another solution to his problem. If anyone else needs a bar-end weight (or both), the offer is the same.

PM: "Did you ever find a bar-end weight? I replaced mine (2004 650) with Throttlemeisters, so I've got a pair of stock weights availavble. Send me an address and I'll get them in the mail to you. If they work and you're pleased with them, send a check for postage and whatever you think they're worth to you.

wldbill"

1 - 12 of 12 Posts