Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a large upstairs room with a lot of windows that would be perfect for a large screen TV, but the stairs going up are narrow, so I've started looking at those projectors instead. For example:

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/product_detail.do?storeName=computer_store&landing=monitors&category=projectors&subcat1=road&catLevel=2&product_code=L1675A#ABA

Does anyone have one of these? How good are they? How do they do if you have a lot of windows? Do you use black-out curtains?

What about the tech spec's? I understand more lumens are better, but what is "contrast ratio" and how long will the bulb last (and how expensive to replace!!).

Anyone have any advice on buying one of these?

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
An outstanding place to learn from. I found this place when I was researching DVR's & found it to be a place of very practical information on a variety of A-V areas.

Check it out....

http://www.avsforum.com/

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
I did this this spring. The AVS forum link above was an excellent source of information for me. I was able to use the information to help me decide on the right projector for me, and it had the plans for me to build my own screen. Which I did, and saved several hundred dollars in the process. AV screens can be wickedly expensive.

Projector systems give you way more screen for your buck than any TV format, be it LCD, Plasma, Crt, rear Projection, etc. I have a 96" diagonal screen, which fits my room. I know of some people who have 144" screens- but you have to sit a certain distance away so your room size will limit your screen size to a degree.

One thing to keep in mind with a projector system is that the projector is just that- a projector. All it does is act as a screen. You need a signal source- satalite TV reciever, cable box, dvd player, etc....
You also need an audio system for sound. And you need to decide on a format- 16:9 (widescreen HDTV) or 4:3 (standard TV screen). There are compromises on either choice.

You may already have these things, or you may need to buy them, depending on what you want or need.

You can get an amazingly good projector for between $1000 to $2000, or you can spend up to $75K+! In the price range you are looking at with that link on your post, you can get a very nice projector, there are a lot to choose from in that price range.

The higher the lumen output on the PJ, the better it will do in rooms that aren't absolutely light tight. As you might guess, price has something to do with it. My projector costs now about $1700 and has no problem displaying a good image in a room with enough light to read by. In a totally darkened room, the picture blows away any TV image.

You can add blackout drapes to your room if you need or want to. We have wood blinds on our windows and the patio door and that blocks out most of the light. But mostly we watch movies at night, so for us it's not an issue.

Bulbs can be expensive- anywhere from $200 to $400 and last anywhere from 2000 to 4000 hours. You'll probably find that you use your projector more for watching movies, and not so much for watching TV, so the bulb cost isn't really that big of a deal. There is still doubt as to the longevity of Plasma and LCD TV screens, which could also be expensive.

Getting kinda long here, don't want to bore you or over confuse.
Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions or want more info on the specifics of my HT system.

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts
I put a system in last year, greatest investment I made, except the 650. Complete system cost me $1900.cdn , I had to buy projector Benq 6100, speakers, dvd, HD reciever. For screen just paint a piece of gyprock with a light gray paint. The HD shows are amasing for watching sports, we get 27 HD channels in canada. I put blue blinds on 3 windows, I use my poarch for movie room, screen is 86in, and I set about 16 ft back. It gives an great picture, with a Benq 6100, which is bottem of line, makes me wander what a $2000 projector would be like.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts