Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts
On a bike, last speeding ticket was 1990, for 46 in a 30 limit (UK), which was a fair cop, and I got a fixed penalty ticket. I was young, dumb, and full of it.

In a cage, I got two in one week during a business trip to Tennessee in early 2007, a complete BS one as I was arriving at my destination (for would you believe 47 in a 40mph limit, even though when I asked if I knew the limit for this road I responded as I believed "yes, it's 45" , not knowing it had just dropped by 5). I'm sure I only got it because the big tough guy was trying to impress the the young hot Probie who was riding with him, and saw out-of-state plates as easy pickings.

Then four days later on the way home, I earned the second one! There, I knew what I was doing, I'd just come off a long interstate run, still in high speed mode, and was in a rush to get home. It was a rural road, with no communities around, and no chance of kids running out, so when Everybody was going really slow ahead of me, I just dropped down a gear, and blasted down the inside lane. I'm sure the real speed was closer to 90mph, but the ticket read 73 in a 50mph zone. The LEO was being kind, as 24+ over the limit ups the ante with points & fines in Georgia, so he wrote it up for the 3-point max. I just didn't see the cruiser tucked in the trees until it was too late, and learned the hard way why the people in front wer soooo slow.

The bogus one cost me $90, and no points ever appeared, and the the one I put the effort into cast me $340. I've calmed down a lot since then, and now I rarely go more than 5mph over the posted limit (unless traffic flow makes it dangerous to be going that slow).

No speeding tickets for me on my Burgie yet. The police officers around here hide very well (how's 300 yards away from the road in some parking lot?), so even if I can't see one, I assume there is one somewhere near just licking his chops - especially at the end of the month when I've been told they are out to make their "quota". I have also been told that, in some jurisdictions, for every ticket a police officer writes, more money goes into his pension fund. I try not to speed when on my Burgie because I feel that us bikers are probably looked at more keenly than cages. About 4 years ago, when I suffered "temporary insanity" - haha! and had my 650 (which I owned at the time) up to 98 mph on a highway, I was very lucky to have come to my senses before getting caught. (Darn - that was fun!!!!!!!!!!!)

born1928 said:
Bosshoss 1. You win the prize for chutzpah.
]WHY THANK YOU VERY MUCHLY...!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ARE YOU AN M.O.T. by any chance.?????

Ken

The one which tops that story - is - I was on my Suzuki GSXR 1000 (2003) and had owned it about 2 weeks....much to tall for me!!! and could only tippy-toe when stopped...... THAT - and a very twitchy grabby clutch......!!! Police car was in front of me and turned right without using any turn signal which kinda pissed me off.!!! So, I sped up and pulled up next to him at a traffic light and he rolls down his window and says to me..."HEY!! YOU ARE KINDA WOBBILY THERE.!!" AND I FLIPPED UP THE FACE SHIELD AND REPLIED TO HIM - "IS THERE NOW A LAW AGAINST BEING WOBBILY.?????" With that reply - He says - 'HEY!! YOU ALSO WENT THRU A RED LIGHT.!!! " He was making it up - as he went along..............!!!!! Turns out that the cop is a Harley rider & just hates "rice burners"...... we talked for a while and then he tells me to be "careful"

END OF ANOTHER STORY...........

On my trip to New Orleans and Key West last year I got a ticket in Cincinnati Ohio doing 77 MPH in a 55 MPH zone by a motorcycle cop riding a BMW.
I was still riding my 2007 Burgman 650E.

In Ohio, it's up to the officer's discretion whether or not to tow your vehicle if you exceed the speed limit by more than 20 MPH.
He didn't tow me, maybe because I told him I was at the start of a long trip.

Popped my ticket cherry October 2009 at Lake Hefner south of OKC, a notorious bike route with excellent twisties. It was a great fall day after a couple of weeks of dreary weather. I was feeling a little froggy and was looking forward to having some fun. Right before the turn to go around the lake, I got popped for doing 55 in a 50 (actually I think it was a tad over 60, but the cop knocked it down. The cop pulled me over and said, and I quote, "we were instructed to patrol the area and ticket any speeding motorcycle". To which I promptly replied "lucky for me this is a SCOOOOOOOTTTEEERRR". He laughed and gave me the ticket anyway. My wife still won't let me live it down.

Havent gotten one on the bike yet but just got one in the cage bring my father in law home from the hospital trying to get him in before a rainstorm. Hired a lawyer to take care of that one.

The reason you can get a ticket in Florida for no safety eye ware is strictly financial. You don't have to wear a helmet but, when the legislature changed the helmet law to not require a helmet, they did not modify the section requiring goggles. The law in Florida reads:

316.211 Equipment for motorcycle and moped riders.

(1) A person may not operate or ride upon a motorcycle unless the person is properly wearing protective headgear securely fastened upon his or her head which complies with Federal Motorcycle Vehicle Safety Standard 218 promulgated by the United States Department of Transportation. The Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles shall adopt this standard by agency rule.

(2) A person may not operate a motorcycle unless the person is wearing an eye-protective device over his or her eyes of a type approved by the department.

(3) ...
(b) Notwithstanding subsection (1), a person over 21 years of age may operate or ride upon a motorcycle without wearing protective headgear securely fastened upon his or her head if such person is covered by an insurance policy providing for at least $10,000 in medical benefits for injuries incurred as a result of a crash while operating or riding on a motorcycle.

The change which added Section 3b and excluded helmets if you carried insurance did not reference section 2 and that change go unnoticed by our cities. Cha Ching, the cities and counties with their insatiable need for money started writing tickets for no goggles.

Anyone who rides a motorcycle without eye protection is foolish.
I will sometimes ride without a helmet, but never without eye protection.
I've never had an accident, but on almost every ride my eye protection gets nailed by a bug.

I've been hit in the forehead by June beetles at 70 MPH and if it would have been my eye, I'm sure I would have been blinded.
My forehead had a huge welt on it for a few days.

I agree with Bigfoot regarding eyeware. However, a friend of mine got a ticket for wearing sunglasses even though sunglasses are approved by DOT here in Florida. (still should use goggles or a face shield but sunglasses are better than nothing) He got out of it but had to take the time to go to court. Makes me wonder how much they raised from people who didn't want to bother going to court.

Hi bigfoot, this is "foolish." Don't want to jump this thread, but it's amazing that n. Ohio is such a buggy place; I've ridden for years in central Fl and can't remember the last time a bug made it around my windshield and hit me in the eyes. I have a large clearview w/s and practically nothing gets by it. The exception would be lovebugs for a couple weeks in the spring and fall, during which time I live in my helmet. Even then, the windshield has been almost completely covered with the bugs and only a few have hit the top of my helmet [not my eyes]. Ah well, without a helmet, glasses/goggles will really help in case of an accident...

Japanese beetles... when they dive bomb from the front they hit the GIVI windshield and make a mess. When they dive bomb from the side it is amazing how hard they hit the helmet! I'll stick with a helmet with a protective shield behind that GIVI.

Somewhere years ago I posted about it but I got a 122 in a 50. $1,300 in tickets and about the same amount for an Attorney. Went from 12 points and reckless driving to 5 points for speeding if I remember correctly.

I got one end of January. It was 8:30 at night and I was coming home from work. The light just turned yellow so I hit it to get through the light. I was traveling I was told 49 MPH in a 30 MPH zone. He was going the other way in a cruiser and hit me with the radar gun as soon as I passed the signal. I was already slowing down by the time he even was near me. In my ignorance I did not think they could use the gun at night, Duh :oops: So it cost me $424 plus traffic school to keep it off my record. I learned my lesson and have slowed way down and a lot of people get upset that I am just moseying along doing the speed limit.

I've been a bit lucky - I've deserved a ticket a few times but managed to avoid it.

I was trying to see how high I could get on the GPS speed when a cop the other way flashed his red & blue lights - luckily there was a median barrier and he had no way of turning around and chasing me.

I was in a hurry to get back to Auckland from Wellington and was travelling at ~35kph above the speed limit, slowed down for a corner and as I was going into the corner I saw a cop coming the other way.

Exceeded the speed limit plenty of other times too - but if the cops didn't see it, I didn't do it!
With the high gas prices I'm trying to ride more gently, it's amazing how economical the B400 is if you don't push it hard.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.