Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got nailed by a motorcycle cop this morning doing 55 in a 35. He asked me alot of questions about the burg and then let me go with no ticket. I was also pulled over 9 days ago(last time on the burg) for weaving in my lane(just enjoying a beautiful day). The cop also let me go with a warning. My wife says my luck is going to run out very soon. :D

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know. It was a construction area (no workmen or activity) with a lot of nice curves. I was watching the road and going at what I considered a reasonable and safe speed for the area. 55mph on a motorcycle with a windscreen feels slow. As an aside, its almost getting hard to remember that 55 was the highest legal speed that you could travel at in the USA at one time!!

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
I got one. Doing 47 in a 35. The cop on his BMW asked me no questions about the Burg, just gave me a ticket, which cost me $85.

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
I got one last November. First since April 1973. :( If I keep things clean for the year, I'll have it taken off the record.

Like bobink, the Seattle police officer didn't ask any questions except what kind of bike it was...for the ticket, not out of interest.

I have to admit I set myself up for this one. I came over a bridge to a large "T" intersection. I'd just finished working out. It was a glorious day outside - no rain - and I knew this would be one of the last for months. Speed limit had gone from 60 to 35, and the cop was directly across from me in a parking lot. I didn't see him till he lit the lights up. Of course I came into the intersection hot and laid the bike over nicely through the corner...right in front of him. Gosh it felt good!...till the lights came on... :(

If I had known I'd get the ticket, it might've been fun to have scraped the center stand... :roll:

Yes, I was dumb.

Chris

·
Registered
188 Posts
Thankfully, no. :D

I'm normally very careful and defensive and I haven't had a speeding ticket in about 10 years, but there is a local highway out here that has a area that's very WOT inviting and on occasion I stretch the Tmax's legs just a bit...and I do not condone such activity, so y'all behave yourselves! 8)

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Daboo said:
I got one last November. First since April 1973.
I have to admit I set myself up for this one. I came over a bridge to a large "T" intersection. I'd just finished working out. It was a glorious day outside - no rain - and I knew this would be one of the last for months. Speed limit had gone from 60 to 35, and the cop was directly across from me in a parking lot. I didn't see him till he lit the lights up. Of course I came into the intersection hot and laid the bike over nicely through the corner...right in front of him. Gosh it felt good!...till the lights came on...
If I had known I'd get the ticket, it might've been fun to have scraped the center stand... :

Yes, I was dumb.

Chris
Chris, Chris, Chris...tisk tisk :roll: ...like they say...you're a good man...but a bad boy too :lol:

And no I haven't gotten a ticket...yet. Not for lack of trying though. :D That reminds me I'd better reset the max speed on my GPS probably still says 107 mph. :shock:

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
My last ticket in a cage was April 1979.
(Knocking loudly on wood) I have never got a ticket on a bike. :thumbup:
I have had several officers casually approach me and ask about the bike though. 8)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Not speeding, but last monday I was puttzing [under the 45 mph limit] along on the way to the gym at 8:30 in the morn. A beautiful day and everything seemed right with the world when all of a sudden flashing lights appeared in the mirrors. Pulled over and with no discussion I was given a ticket for not wearing protective eyewear, not withstanding a large clearview windshield... Fl law specifically states a windshield is not a substitute for goggles, glasses, or faceshield. It was a "no points" $116 lesson for which I was supposed to have been grateful...yea right.

·
Registered
123 Posts
BS: Sounds as if the FL legislature has too much time on it hands. I wonder how many other states have the same requirement for eye protection.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
born1928 said:
BS: Sounds as if the FL legislature has too much time on it hands. I wonder how many other states have the same requirement for eye protection.
Add Texas.......
don't have to wear a helmet, any protective clothing or footwear...
you can wear a muscle shirt, shorts, flip-flops & a doo-rag, and
you're OK...as long as you're wearing sunglasses ( eye-protection ) :shock:
Duh.

Haven't had a speeding ticket in over 30 years.....last ticket I got about
5 years ago was from a state trooper that didn't like the way I was wearing
my seat belt....it was around the edge of my shoulder, & not across the
top of my shoulder, rubbing my neck. Went to court & argued that one.
Ended up getting a 'speech' from the judge, & a $1 fine....trooper wasn't
happy. :cry: ( trooper was a probie....not a trooper any more )

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
jas340 said:
I got nailed by a motorcycle cop this morning doing 55 in a 35. He asked me alot of questions about the burg and then let me go with no ticket. I was also pulled over 9 days ago(last time on the burg) for weaving in my lane(just enjoying a beautiful day). The cop also let me go with a warning. My wife says my luck is going to run out very soon. :D

It was quiite a few years ago when I was riding along & a cop pn a motorcycle pulled up beside me & asked how fast I was going. I've forgotten how fast I said but he answered, "Don't you think you should slow down"? & I did. We both stopped at the next traffic light & he asked me to pull in the gas station, he said that he was thinking about buying a bike like I had
(Honda CX 500) & he wanted to ask me about it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
jas340 said:

This happened to me a few years back when I owned a Suzuki GSX1000 (crotch rocket!) at the ripe old age of 63......... also wearing a full face helmet.....

I was travelling at about 35 MPH in a 45 MPH ZONE and a cruiser pulled behind me fashing his blue lights..so I kept going at the same speed - thinking that this guy was on a radio call....... NOPE! He pulls up right behind me - and now flashes his headlight "wig wags" - so I know that he is now stopping - ME..!!! So, I pull to the side of the road , put the stand down - get off the bike - and REMOVE MY HELMET ......... Before this cop has a chance to get out of his car - i am standing beside his door and proceed to ask him why he stopped me.......... ( At the time - I had a full beard (ALL GRAY, TOO!).......!!!

He says to me - "I made a mistake..!!!!!!!!!!!" I now ask what his "MISTAKE" was - and he replies -"I THOUGHT YOU WERE A KID!!!!" I replied - "IS THAT AGAINST THE LAW TO BE A KID RIDING A SPORT BIKE.???????" I told him that he was abusing his badge to do something like that and furthermore - I was going to report him to his superior officer........ He profusely - asked me not to do that!!!!!!! and APOLOGIZED TO ME..........

END OF STORY..........................

·
Registered
27 Posts
This happened about two month ago... The speed limit had just changed from 55 to 35, which I had also adjusted my speed for per the speedometer (which means I know I was going slower than the posted speed limit by ~8%). Cop was sitting in the partition right at the 35 mph sign. I turned off the main road to heads towards my house and he pulled in behind me, followed me for about a mile, then turned on his lights. I pulled off the road. I had just removed my gloves and was trying to get my helmet off. He said to leave the helmet on because... "When I ran your plates, they came up as registered to a Harley. This isn't a Harley, so let me re-run the plates." When he came back, he said my plates registered to a Suzuki then proceeded to ask me questions about my Burgman. This would have been fine except that it was 28 degrees and I was freezing sitting there waiting for him to do his thing... No ticket, just a runny nose and the shivers.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Got a speeding ticket 50 MPH in a 35 MPH zone in San Antonio, TX. $100 I'm thankful for the ticket as it probably saved my life by warning me to slow down.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I got a ticket last summer in Detroit. I took a bus up overnight to purchase it from a friend. On the way out of town I stopped to see a friend. It was now about 7pm and starting to cool off. Sooooo.. when I came out of my friends house I hopped on and rode about a 1/2 mile to the gas station to get some gas and get my gear on.... Wrong Answer.... Just as I pull into the gas station, the lights come on... Two vehicles... One Scooter with no tags showing. I was told at the registration office to just keep it in the bike until I get the regular tags in Ohio.

First question.. Is that a scooter or a motorcycle... "It's a Scooter"... never expecting me to say it out loud,, he kept questioning me... License, insurance, registration, tags... all of it was in the trunk. They did not like that. So after about 20 minutes of waiting,,, they get out and inform me of the Helmet Law and ask why I do not have the paper temp plate on the back. So after several minutes of sticking to the Scooter statement, he gets mad and says it's a motorcycle. After which I concurred that it is classified as a motorcycle for general purpose, such as getting a Motorcycle endorsement.... and of course he accused me of not having the proper endorsement, all of which made him more angry since I was not guilty of any moving violation, just did not have my helmet on. In the end I ended up with a $125 ticket for no helmet since all the paperwork was perfect. I could not fight it as it would cost me that in gas and time off to go back again. Luckily that does not involve points on the record.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
I hate to say it because I really like the Givi AIRFLOW windscreen, but I think that's one reason I got the ticket. It looks racier, and I think the officer looked at that and categorized me as a sport bike rider. Then of course after deciding to write me up, he couldn't figure out what it was. He did take a long look at the windshield from the side and there was no way to convince him that this was "just a scooter".

Chris

1 - 20 of 35 Posts