Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from the Midwest! The weather has been beautiful out and I have been riding my 05 650 at any chance I have been given. My ex wife knew I bought a "bike" but had never seen it before until last night when I ran into her in a parking lot after I had just parked and was walking away. She said, "OMG, that is your "BIKE"?" as she held up her fingers to do the quotations. She started laughing and told me it was "gay" and a "girlie bike". I asked her where her bike was. She told me she would rather walk then buy a one like mine as she walked off. Whatever....her opinion is irrelevant anyway. But it got me thinking....At work, I get a lot of static from other guys about it too. There is a guy with a huge Hog that parks next to me. Last summer we were at our bikes at the same time and he told me it's an embarrassment to have my "moped" parked next to his. This spring he told me I parked to close to him and I better go move it because when he stands is up he might accidentally "bump" mine and we know it would go falling over as he laughed. Sigh....then just recently at the College World Series here in Omaha I took a ride down and found that there was bike parking. I backed in with the rest of the guys. Mainly big Harleys as well as a few other cruising models and a couple crotch rockets. I had just taken my gloves off when a stranger walking by points and nudges his girl as he tells her "look at that ***** machine". Bottom line, I have had NO ONE come up to me and give me praise. Saddens me that everyone thinks the Burg is such an embarrassment. I LOVE my ride! I honestly don't care what overs think as it makes me very happy and that is all that matters. But it bugs me that my dad is riding to Sturgis this year and I thought it would be cool to tag along. He all but said not to come but beat around the bush about how it wouldn't fit in and he feared I would get messed with or the bike might get vandalized while I was away from it. SERIOUSLY?! What happened to the days that anything on two wheels was cool? Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this negative feedback from people on your Burg.

Reactions: gec343

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Is your bike pink with flowers and paisley accents? LOL...While I have yet to talk a dedicated hog rider try my bike, I have not had any remarks such as you've experienced. Lots of curiosity, however and, several instances of real interest. I know of one 400 purchased after having seen mine and, a couple more who stated they were going to seriously look into the Burgmans. On my just completed trip, I was having breakfast at a little place and a couple came in to eat. I had noticed the guy giving my 650 a second glance so, struck up a conversation with him. He had several bikes but, never a scooter. I offered to let him sit on it for fit. They finished before me and he said, "I think I'll take you up on your offer for a sit" and, did so on his way out and actually spent a few minutes checking it out. Also, I get "biker waves" from near everyone I cross paths with.

·
Super Moderator
8,074 Posts
"Ex Wife":
nuff said.

Guys at work:
I had 1 guy at work give me a hard time ( jokingly, called my 650 a moped). He had just bought a new lite blue mustang, and I told him he bought a muscle car that was a girly color, and should be careful where he went cruising. No more mentioning anything about my bike.

Other bikers:
Most are uneducated as to the capabilities, and a Poker Run took care of that. The Harley riders backed me up, when a BMW rider was complaining he was passed by a "scooter on the expressway. They asked him if reversing the polarity on his heated jacket would make it cool in summer. (We had no heated gear on a 40 degree fall ride ). He left shortly thereafter.

Sturgis:
I don't think you would have a problem. Around here, the #1 rule is "don't mess with anyones ride". Anyone who does, is in for a real problem, regardless of the ride. I would think the same applies to Sturgis.

As for getting a hard time about it, I would simply say at least I didn't trailer it there. That's usually enough.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Bottom line, I have had NO ONE come up to me and give me praise.
Give you praise? Um.........yeah....praise? Really?

I honestly don't care what overs think as it makes me very happy and that is all that matters
Oh you very obviously do, otherwise you wouldn't give these people a second thought, let alone make a long, rambling post with no paragraph markers on a public forum to discuss the issue.

just wondering if anyone else has experienced this negative feedback from people on your Burg.
I spend more time enjoying my bike and less time worrying about what people think about it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Give you praise? Um.........yeah....praise? Really?

Oh you very obviously do, otherwise you wouldn't give these people a second thought, let alone make a long, rambling post with no paragraph markers on a public forum to discuss the issue.

I spend more time enjoying my bike and less time worrying about what people think about it.

Wow! Sorry to "ramble" on and inconvenience your day!

Reactions: bierkan

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is your bike pink with flowers and paisley accents? LOL...While I have yet to talk a dedicated hog rider try my bike, I have not had any remarks such as you've experienced. Lots of curiosity, however and, several instances of real interest. I know of one 400 purchased after having seen mine and, a couple more who stated they were going to seriously look into the Burgmans. On my just completed trip, I was having breakfast at a little place and a couple came in to eat. I had noticed the guy giving my 650 a second glance so, struck up a conversation with him. He had several bikes but, never a scooter. I offered to let him sit on it for fit. They finished before me and he said, "I think I'll take you up on your offer for a sit" and, did so on his way out and actually spent a few minutes checking it out. Also, I get "biker waves" from near everyone I cross paths with.

Nope, no flowers or paisley accents! Thanks for sharing your story as it was a good read! I do get the "waves" from other bikers almost always. When I'm rolling apparently I fit in lol!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sturgis:
I don't think you would have a problem. Around here, the #1 rule is "don't mess with anyones ride". Anyone who does, is in for a real problem, regardless of the ride. I would think the same applies to Sturgis.

As for getting a hard time about it, I would simply say at least I didn't trailer it there. That's usually enough.

I love the "at least I didn't trailer it" comment. That's perfect! I didn't think anyone would mess with it either. I have been to Sturgis every August since 2007 (drove a car there) and have never seen anything like my dad is suggesting will happen. I think it'll be fine!

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I get it all. In the end I always end up telling them how affordable a used one can be and the mileage is not bad either. I don't let their insults get me down, especially when I tell them about my winter riding, long road trips, pulling my trailer. And then there is the part of I am my own person. I buy what i buy because it is what I want. I wear a helmet because I want to wear a helmet. I would not "not wear a helmet" because the group does not wear one.

Usually, when the conversation goes south, it's best to excuse yourself quickly.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've recieved very few negative comments at all (the majority are from horse's behinds who don't have a good thing to say anyway); but rarely a day goes past that someone doesn't say "nice bike" or "what kind of mileage do you get" or (my favorite) "who fast does it go".
Almost all comments are positive and almost all are impressed.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I get it all. In the end I always end up telling them how affordable a used one can be and the mileage is not bad either.
Yep, pretty much.

pulling my trailer.
your trailer is damned impressive too!!

Speaking of which - did you get your bike running again? What was the issue?

And then there is the part of I am my own person. I buy what i buy because it is what I want. I wear a helmet because I want to wear a helmet. I would not "not wear a helmet" because the group does not wear one. Usually, when the conversation goes south, it's best to excuse yourself quickly.
Yep, pretty much :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've recieved very few negative comments at all (the majority are from horse's behinds who don't have a good thing to say anyway); but rarely a day goes past that someone doesn't say "nice bike" or "what kind of mileage do you get" or (my favorite) "who fast does it go".
Almost all comments are positive and almost all are impressed.
I love that one.... "how fast will it go?" I do surprise people when I tell them that it does go over 100. No one believes it!

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
LOL, I had a few of the guys here at work give me the same crap about buying a real bike instead of a scooter. But I just got back from a 5,000 km 2-week trip from Canada down to Tenessee and Tail of the Dragon. Then I casually asked them how far they had ridden this year? When I got the expected "oh, around town" answer, I just calmly said, "Oh, posers!" and walked away. Last laugh was mine. :eek:)
End result... they have more respect for the capabilities of my scooter now than they ever did, especially after they saw the trip photos and the lean angles I had on in the corners.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I've had pretty good positives especially after effortlessly keeping up with a VFR800 in the twists and the acceleration from a light.

Guy came over in awe.

Took a while to get some cred on the general motorcycle forum ( there are always dickheads ) but gradually wore them down as I was riding further and more than most and in weather they had their bikes stored away.

Some of the riders are considering a 650 as their "next ride" for all the reasons we know already.
I opened a long running info thread with articles and stuff about the big scoots and that's helped I think.

Best shut down for the Hardley types is sit at a light, hit the power button then disappear.

Ex-wife....well that's what they do....you are well shy of her from that bit of evidence.

The don't park near me ******* is just that....and likely has fringes. I've never seen such childish outfits and bikes as hawg riders.....wear and dress their rides with....like seriously guys.

Basically ignore the nonsense and a superior smirk - hit the power button on the way out of the parking lot. :D

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I love that one.... "how fast will it go?" I do surprise people when I tell them that it does go over 100. No one believes it!
I was stopped at night getting an extra layer and got the same question from a cop who asked if I needed help.
I think he said something like "can it go on the highways....."
Look on his face when I said 160 kph was priceless.

There is a little rush the 650 gives with the power button from a standstill that is unlike other bikes. Continues to suprise me that first 100 yards or so......

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
AlaskaGuy: It's my understanding that you do not currently ride a Burgman, have never owned a Burgman, and have stated (I recall) that you would never buy a Suzuki. I'm not sure why you are so active on this forum, but you are surely welcome here. I enjoy many of your posts, however in this case, I do not appreciate you dissing a fellow Burgman rider.

BrianGuy:

Other riders: These guys don't want to ride with you because they'll be faced with the reality that a "girlie bike" can not only keep up, but can outperform their hunks of man-steel. You are the pin to their fragile balloon of masculinity.

Ex-wife: Pretty much a castrating b***h. Please do better on the next one.

Dad: I don't even want to talk about a Dad who would not be excited, grateful and lucky to have a son who wants to share a road trip with him. Shame on him.

You: The reward is in the riding. If you're seeking some kind of validation from others based on a possession, you have a lot more in common with your tormenters that you might like to admit.

As another forum member says - it takes a real man to ride a scooter.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Really interesting thread. I've posted before on this forum that since I bought my 650 last year, I have not been invited on a ride by any of my former riding buddies - including my own son-in-law. The stigma, as I see it, is in others not wanting to be seen with a scooter rider. It's their problem, not mine. I must admit, however, that I do miss my motorcycle. So much that I intend to buy another one. Why? I've been reading about many of the new adventure bikes like the V-Strom 1000, the Kaw Versys 1000, the BMW R1200 GS, and others. I think before I hang up my helmet for good, I'd like to own one of those.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I don't own a Burgman scooter right now but I intend to get a 400. I ride a V-Strom 650 Adventure and a 125 Yamaha Vino scooter. I have never been humiliated for riding any bike. I've ridden everything from a 1958 HD pan head chopper to a Honda Trail 110. I like all bikes and everyone that rides 2 wheels can ride with me. My 125 Vino is limited to surface streets since the cruising speed is 50-55 and tops at 60 WFO. However I ride it when I can for the excellent 84mpg US average on regular gas. Can't beat that with a stick. I get a lot of comments on my "adventure" bike and all have been positive but a couple of my ex buds in the Southern Cruisers don't know why I sold my 102CI cruiser for a 650 V-Strom. They will figure it out someday, I have faith in them....LOL
Ex wives probably wonder why they are EX's. The original poster sure knows why:rolleyes:!
Ride safe guys............Mike

1 - 20 of 126 Posts