1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
I have seen one of these in the flesh so to speak, it is a really cute looking scooter and retro evocative.

I believe they are Chinese and importers buy them by the container full badge them up with a cute marketing name, take the cash and then usually wind their company up. So if you need support you are pretty much on your own. That said they are as cheap as chips and if you are handy working with machinery they are a good proposition as long as you do not rely on it as primary.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
404 Posts
Look for a Tomos Velo or a Mojito by another manufacturer. Made by SYM in China. 150cc. Yes it is a Honda Joker clone. If you change out all the rubber hoses and lines, use a lot of blue locktite on every nut and bolt and ream the exhaust to derestrict you will have a reliable scoot. Retro look like a ugly Victory motorcycle.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I have a Honda Joker clone converted to electric power - the bars are very wide but it is good fun and gets nice comments when it is out and about, most people assume it is an old classic

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not to be confused with the Piaggio Fly. The one shown in the OP will be hit or miss on reliability/parts availability, but I know one or two people with good ones who love them.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Chinese clones are the bane of the scooter world, pretty much junk. :( Several times now I've seen "Burgman" scooters sitting by the side of the road presumably broken down and stopped only to realize that it is a cheap Chinese clone at which point I ride off shaking my head and feeling sorry for the poor sap that bought it thinking they were getting a great deal. :? Just the other day I was approached by one of the guys that sits outside of the quicky mart where I buy my lotto tickets that enquired about how I liked my 650 and what did it cost. He was shocked :shock: to hear that it cost over $8K new and proceded to tell me about his "friend" that bought a 250cc Burgman for just $1200 used.
When I pointed out that Suzuki didn't sell a 250cc Version in the US, he admitted it might not be a Burgman but that it looked just like one. He said it had a name like "rocket" or something. Most likely one of the cheap clones that are advertised all over the internet and even on this site now. :? I told him I wished his friend luck and rode off.

·
Registered
677 Posts
DoubleJ said:
Look for a Tomos Velo or a Mojito by another manufacturer. Made by SYM in China. 150cc. Yes it is a Honda Joker clone. If you change out all the rubber hoses and lines, use a lot of blue locktite on every nut and bolt and ream the exhaust to derestrict you will have a reliable scoot. Retro look like a ugly Victory motorcycle.
Hmmm? What's wrong with SYM? They're Taiwanese, and as far as I know, a very good make; even the ones they make on the mainland. Don't confuse Taiwan and PRC.

SteveE said:
Chinese clones are the bane of the scooter world, pretty much junk. :( Several times now I've seen "Burgman" scooters sitting by the side of the road presumably broken down and stopped only to realize that it is a cheap Chinese clone at which point I ride off shaking my head and feeling sorry for the poor sap that bought it thinking they were getting a great deal. :?
Some of them DID get a great deal. Even some members of this forum. Quite a few Burgmen/women use a cheap China scoot as a backup or for short local hops.

Rule of thumb: if you are handy with a wrench, a Chinese bike can be well worth the small cost. If not, stick with Japan, Taiwan, Korea, or Italy.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I was wondering aloud with a neighbor about what makes a Chinese bike "cheap". Turns out his son had not a scooter but, a Chinese-made dirt bike. I was running poorly so they ran a compression test and it had very low compression. Figured they'd slap in some new rings and be on their way. On breaking it down they found it was a RINGLESS piston :shock: and the rod had babbit bearings :shock: :shock: Okay, I understand now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts