Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering taking a Burgman 650 overseas next year or the year after. Curious to know if anyone has transported one internationally before and what the cost and overall experience was like? It's possible that it'll be a one-way journey for me if I decide to relocate long-term.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Yep, shipped a Burgie from Melbourne to Korea 6 years ago and then back to Melbourne from Italy.

Have also shipped vehicles in and out of Australia to Singapore, Kenya, Brazil and Canada over the years. Have also flown bikes between Thailand - India and Panama - Colmbia.

Cost to ship is not dear but you will need to crate the bike first - pick up a used crate from a Burgman dealer.

Prices vary dependent on destination (and are based on the cubic merteage of the crate) so let me know where you are shipping to. Fees will include crating (if you don't do it yourself), transport to shipping agency (usually located near docks) and actual shipping fee. At the destination end you will be up for port fees, storage and warehousing, quarantine, customs and release fees.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello, fellow Australian!

I will be shipping from Sydney to either Detroit, Michigan or to Berlin, Germany in 2015.

Air freight is not an option, I've just discovered, because any bike that has ever had oil or gas in it will be classed as Dangerous Goods by airlines and freight companies and will cost around three times as much as sea freight!

Detroit is a rough town, but is great fun. I've done a lot of riding there. Drivers on the Interstate (the freeways) in the Motor City are crazy, however.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
To say Detroit is a "rough town" smacks of understatement. But you can find some amazing real estate deals there though. Best of luck in 2015!

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I'm considering taking a Burgman 650 overseas next year or the year after. Curious to know if anyone has transported one internationally before and what the cost and overall experience was like? It's possible that it'll be a one-way journey for me if I decide to relocate long-term.

I think it would be cheaper and a lot easier for you , to buy a nice used one here then sell it here and go home . Shipping and crating back and forth is like crazy money . Used bikes are cheap here relative to most of the developed world , so I would go the buy one route if it were me . As far as buying here in Michigan you can get an instant title at the Secretary of State , so you wouldn't have to wait around for that after you bought . Plus since you are English speaking I would guess insurance would be some what easy to get ? To get a license plate here you MUST have an insurance certificate , so you might want to see if your insurance on your bike back home would cover you ?

TheReaper!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Reaper, I think Michigan (I spend time in Detroit) is very different to home, which for me is Australia:

If your scoot or bike is less than 250cc, you cannot ride on the Interstate freeways in Michigan. (LOL, sometimes riding around Detroit, I'd take a wrong turn and end up on the I-75 Interstate freeway and have to get to the nearest exit ASAP to turn off to avoid getting ticketed).

Detroit interstate drivers are crazy aggressive anyway.

If you have a smaller scooter in MI, decide if you want license plates or a registration sticker. (A sticker-ed scooter is not considered a "vehicle" and it has to stay in the slow outside lane and off the interstate freeways entirely.

Plus side is stickered scooters don't need insurance, which is only around $30 anyway. (If it gets stolen or into an accident, you have no protection.)

Many parts of Detroit should not be considered safe on a scooter, nor is a gas station a good place to stop afterdark - that's where the Motor City's famed carjackings occur. (Thieves prefer to steal a manned car than a parked one - they want your keys.)

A ride along Michigan Avenue (ie, Downtown up to Corktown) or along Woodward Avenue (Downtown up to Midtown and New Center or to Grand Boulevard) is fun afterdark in Detroit, however. Seems like a lot of Detroit riders cruise Michigan Avenue near the site of the old Tigers baseball stadium after dark.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts