Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious, anyone belong to this or any other motorcycle association? Just curious what you may consider as the greatest benefit of each, what their political agenda may be, etc. Is the cost worth it? The AMA is found at: http://www.ama-cycle.org/

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Did I ever tell you about the time I awoke slumped over a snow covered
headstone because I hadn't made an icey curve?
Good, because that never happened.

Now, about these organizations that bilk consumers out of disposable income
while amassing marketing information data to sell to other companies while
the membership rates rise... No thanks.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I'm a member of the AMA. I belong because they are our best and strongest lobbyists. I also get a discount on my insurance and enjoy their magazine.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I got the same Song and Dance when I was an active pilot:
"send us money. the end is near." from the AOPA.

Vroom!

·
Super Moderator
8,076 Posts
Iwas in AMA for 5 years 1969-1973. Needed it for AMA sanctioned events. I used to motocross. To long ago to remember and benifits other than entering races.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Rider Organisations

I currently have an AMA membership, and I've been with them off and on over the years. The magazine is very good, as previously noted. I did also get a discount on my insurance due to having the membership. I don't know how effective their lobbying on our behalf is. Anything associated with politics is suspect in my opinion. But if they occasionally win one for us - that's a good thing.

I also bought a membership to Scoot-Tours this year. They are an organization for people owning super scooters. Their website is http://www.geocities.com/scoottours/. They hold an annual ralley in Eureka Springs, Arkansas and I think I'll attend it this year.

·
Registered
61 Posts
AMA

The discount is usually about equal to the cost of yearly membership (about 40 bucks a year.) I am a member of the AMA. The do tend to use "the end is near" tactics. They are currently lobbying for more stringent penalties for killling bikers, using Janklow's getting 100 days for killing the Harley guy as a poster child. I think that's a good thing. Don't know how effective they are as lobbyists, but there ain't really nobody else lobbying in this area, is there?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I used to belong to the AMA.... When they started making some poor decisions regarding rules changes for the Superbike series, I quit. I have a few friends who were negatively affected by the rules changes, so I sent them a letter of protest and quit.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
AMA Magazine has Burgman 650 Ad!!!

I just received the May issue of American Motorcyclist Magazine (the AMA official magazine). Page 25 is a full page ad for the Burgman 650! The ad headline is "Make way for the new Suzuki Burgman 650". :D

·
Registered
794 Posts
I'm a member

AMA #740740. Been a member for too long to remember. Very satisfied with their lobbying on our behalf.

Regards,

Dan

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I've been an AMA member off and on. I did not renew my membership this year as I am trying to cut some expenses. Being on a fixed retirement income right now means some things have to go. With any organization of that nature, I tend to wonder how effective they really are - and how much of it is hype. But I have supported them when I've been able to.

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Current , past and hoepfully future member, if for no other reason than to have someone lobbying on our behalf on the state and Federal levels.

All the other benefits are icing on the cake.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I was a member in '74~'75 because I was riding sanctioned trials events. The events went away, and so did the membership.

Steve

·
Registered
31,101 Posts
AMA Charter Life Member # 603324, mainly because I like the magazine.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts